You know what mic is the biggest piece of shit?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JeffKall
audio school

Re: You know what mic is the biggest piece of shit?

Post by JeffKall » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:03 pm

I second the NADY TCM-1050 Amazing!!!

SE Electronics is another company They make most of the higher quality cheap Chinese elements for other manufacturers They have their own line, which is very impressive.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:24 pm

I recorded Frank Black's vocals with a 4033, and I have a bunch of seemingly "cooler" choices. It worked really well.

The 4033 is a proven workhorse these days. I would rather work with known quantities when choosing a mic, and I know what I will get when I put this mic up in front of something I simply need to get on tape, or into Protools.

The 4033 is a poor mans 87 IMO. Maybe the 4050 is the poor mans 87... whatever.

I like the rode classic as well. If you use something decent for a mic pre like a UA 610 or a 1272 for darkness, the mic sounds awesome.

For 200 dollars I would for sure get a used 4033. No question.

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:56 pm

I have an AKG C2000B. It's really, really bright and tinny. Not bad though for a first condensor. I'm getting a new pre and a new mic, though I think most of the $ is going to be spent on the pre. I've heard the UA M610 will make just about anything sound warm, even an NT1.
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:42 am

I had a guy bring one to a gig to use as a drum overhead, after hearing it, I made him remove it. Tizzy. Probly good on bass amp or kick drum, you'de really need to use this mice in contrast of the source since flatness isn't in it's vocabulary. It sounds like a Mackie board to me only not as good in the mids. Hey for the price you could use it as a doorstop, or spraypaint it a wierd color and nail it to the wall.
Not everyone who says "I used it and got amazing sounds" has ever heard, could ever tell, or has ever actually generated an amazing sound.
Harumph!

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:43 pm

Dude...the NT1-A is the biggest piece of junk.

It sounds ok, for the price. A little harsh, and it definitely exaggerates the high end. At least it's one of the least noisy condensor mics I've heard.

Unfortunately, they DIE for no reason. I had one crap out on me after I owned it for a week. I figured it was something I did. Once I plugged it in with phantom power on, and I thought that maybe that's what killed it.

I returned it to guitar center, and exchanged it for a new one. This time I took extra special care of it, and then IT DIED TOO!

So I said, "fuck it," and exchanged it for a AT 3035. I've been very happy with it. It sounds better than the Rode (it actually has mids!), and I've owned it for a long time without managing to break it.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:49 pm

since this has turned into the "Rode is ass" type thread sort of, i was just wondering if anyone has tried that newer rode with the rolloffs and all kinds of weird knobs and stuff all over it?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:25 am

This thread should be renamed to "how much does your Rode mic suck?".
But I've never tried a Rode mic, and after reading this thread, I have no desires to do so.

My nomination for biggest piece of shit is the AKG C3000. So much self noise. Seems more like it be good to plug in for pink noise than for sound reproduction. Also has absolutely no mids. My baby bottle put that thing to shame like no other.

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:38 am

Actually, the NT2 isn't that bad, in my opinion.

My friend has a pair of them that he uses for classical recordings, and they seem to do the trick.

I just think that in the last couple years, Rode's quality control has gone to shit.

bejeeber
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bejeeber » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:13 am

I've heard the same thing about rode's tube mic. Their old one was way better than the new model. -- Interesting.
I have an old Rode tube mic. I'm glad some people like 'em, maybe I can
sell mine.

I hate it. :shock:

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:11 pm

A friend of mine wanted to buy a cheap (less than $350) LDC for recording his vocals. Previously he had used some $10 hypercardiod dynamic or an SM57 to record his vocals, as these were the only mics he had. These vocals always required a ton of EQing. His voice is a bit odd. Usually it requires pulling some 630-800Hz, and adding some 2k and 4k. We went to Guitar Center and a local pro audio place (Leo's in Oakland) and tried out about 8 microphones. Almost all of the microphone we tried didn't work with his voice and would have needed a good deal of EQing, even the mics at the high end of his price range. The NT1A however came through nice and clear. He purchased it, and since then recording his vocals have been much easier -- sometimes I roll off the very low end, but generally the NT1A works for him straight up.

I've also tried this microphone on my vocals and acoustic guitar, and didn't really like it. But if you are looking for a vocal microphone for a specific person, I wouldn't write this microphone off without giving it a try. Use your ears!

uniformrecording
audio school graduate

Post by uniformrecording » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:21 pm

That guy said something about the replacement (nt1-a) being worse.. I've heard the same thing about rode's tube mic. Their old one was way better than the new model. -- Interesting.

yeah, i've got their ntv and love it on certain sources, especially since i swapped the tube w/ a telefunken. it's my favorite mic for female vocals, roomy backup vocals, strings and bass (but only when i have the isolation option to put it like 4-5 ft away from the amp). cool distorto room mic. the ntv on the other hand is rather shrill and doesn't sit in a mix anywhere near as uniquely as the ntv.

jeff

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:19 pm

No offense, and I haven't had time to read the whole thread but, the Focusrite is probably what sounds so tinny and crappy. I gave mine away years ago because I thought they were tinny and crappy...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:53 pm

Yeah - the greens are fucking harsh.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

lillpeter
audio school

Post by lillpeter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:39 am

hmm.. blaming gear.
the nady 1050 dont really get nice reviews at musiciansfriend... learn to use mikes where they are suitable. it takes time.

peter

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:20 am

I guess I'm a deaf nit because I quite like my pal's nt2 and am in love with my nt5s. I've only used a handful of fancy pants mics so maybe I just dont know better yet but when I put the nt5s on an acoustic guitar or my drumset, it comes out sounding like an acoustic guitar or my drumset.