Holy Crap! Mixing in a big expensive studio

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Slider
george martin

Holy Crap! Mixing in a big expensive studio

Post by Slider » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:46 am

I'm going to be mixing a record in a big expensive SSL "G" studio in LA on the 23rd.

I have to tell you, I'm scared shitless.
I'm really comfortable mixing in my little space.
I'm pretty freaked about using different monitors, compressors, and especially the SSL automation.

I suppose I just have to go in there with an attitude that it's going to be great to mix with tons of La-2a's, Pultecs, distressors, and 1176's.

I'll let the assistant deal with all the crazy SSL crap, while I move faders.

I'm kind of overwelmed by the budget and responsibility of not screwing this record up.
At least I have two weeks to mix 10 songs.
Some of them are pretty crazy.

On a more positive note, last night as I was going to see a band I produced a while back, and I saw that Sebadoh was playing next door.

It was nice to see these guys, although it was kind of a bummer to see them playing through line 6 Pods with no drummer to 30 wacky people.

Good songs none the less.

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Re: Holy Crap! Mixing in a big expensive studio

Post by sonic documentation » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:47 am

what band are you going to be mixing?

Velcrocore
ass engineer

Post by Velcrocore » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:55 am

Who he's mixing is not important...

Good luck Slider... I'd be scared too! Take your monitor speakers with you, or maybe just make a compilation CD of stuff you're used to hearing.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:56 am

Sebadoh wrote my favorite song..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:58 am

and you should just not really be freaked out at all..its just the same thing but more of it..two weeks is more than enough time time to do everything you need..you will rock it..no doubt

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:08 am

A few weeks back you wrote:

"I need a really good engineer to assist me in mixing a record in LA for 10 days in August.

I was supposed to be mixing this with Matt Wallace, but his schedule is really tight so he'll be checking in now and again throughout the sessions."

Matt Wallace was going to 'assist' you? How does that work?

Any 'real' studio you work at in Los Angeles should have an assistant that more than capable to meet your demands. Please respect the fact that guy you work with (budget permitting) would probably be able to mix the record himself. I say this because I spent many a session teaching the 'engineer' who booked the room how to use the console. If it gets down to you altering the credits so that you and he/she co-mix the disc, then so be it. This appeasement will go along way in making your session run more smoothly. I actually worked with one guy who said to me, "Here, you work with this section (waving his hands like they were holding a magic wand over the faders) and I'll work with this section (waving his hands over the eq and dynamics sections)." He was serious!!

Please don't find this comment as sounding arrogant. When one wants to become a professional engineer, then one puts them in the situation to learn the 'pro' equipment. Your assistant engineer has done that by working in a 'real' studio. Expect to learn much from him.

This isn't Kansas anymore Toto.

By the way, if you have powered monitors, take them to the studio. The assistant will be able to patch them in as the alt-mini set and you'll be able to reference 3 different sets of monitors.

lichthaus-media
pushin' record

Post by lichthaus-media » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:51 am

I have the quick reference for the G in pdf if you need it. It'll get you through enabling channels, buss assignments, the patchbay and basic automation.

PM me.

-james
Hooray for everything.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:27 pm

Just relax and do your thing. You've obviously got some talent if you've been hired to mix the record (or maybe you've been sleeping your way to the top?!? - JK) Trust your ears and your abilities and you'll be fine. Bring reference CD's and listen to them often. Take ear breaks, eat big dinners, hire a stripper or two. And make sure to do at least one line of cocaine that's as long as the console. Afterall, you're in the big time now.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Shawn

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:
Please don't find this comment as sounding arrogant.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:52 pm

eeldip wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:
Please don't find this comment as sounding arrogant.
yeah. sorry jeff. it sounded pretty arrogant.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:52 pm

hey fun times man!
when ever i mixed on a big SSL or anything similar.. I'd always get a good sleep the night before. Get up with time to spare.. go for a walk, smoke a jib, and try to get nice and relaxed before going in there. I think that's one of the biggest things you can do is get nice and relaxed. however you can do that will help tremendously. Remember this is what you dreamt of for so long and now you can do it!!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:59 pm

It obviously was more than luck that got you to this point, but "good luck" anyway.

Break a leg. Eh, break a finger? Break an ear-lobe?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:09 pm

I would send the mixes to Jeff Robinson before you let your client hear them. He will critique them for you for only $35. You owe it to yourself to have your mixes checked by a real live "industry professional."

:rofl:

SISSY M HANKSHAW
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:15 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:I would send the mixes to Jeff Robinson before you let your client hear them. He will critique them for you for only $35. You owe it to yourself to have your mixes checked by a real live "industry professional."

:rofl:

SISSY M HANKSHAW
Ermm... I hate it when it comes to this...

I may or may not like Jeff, but you are a typical Internet twit. No wonder you've got such a high post count - too bad it doesn't track intelligence as well. :roll:

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:29 pm

scodiddly wrote:I may or may not like Jeff, but you are a typical Internet twit. No wonder you've got such a high post count - too bad it doesn't track intelligence as well.
Your entire premise is flawed. You are welcome to question the content of my post, but you have no right whatsoever to judge my intelligence, nor is such appraisal in any way relevant to the legitimacy of your argument. In other words, why don't you go pound some broken glass into your asshole.

As for Mr. Robinson - you can stop the fellatio at any time. He is not going to help your career. And he hates TapeOp too so what the fuck is he still doing around here???

Respectfully,

SISSY M HANKSHAW
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson