recording vocals... anyone?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lee
steve albini likes it

recording vocals... anyone?

Post by lee » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:26 am

hey guys,
any tips on Vocals? i have a 4040 and a couple 57s. no matter what i do, i cant seem to record vocals that lay into the mix. im going for something alittle "roomy", like thoughs on a squirrl nut zipper album, tom waits, or portisehead (selftitled, of course). any suggestions on compression, EQ, reverb, or anything.
thanks a million

bigtoe
deaf.

Re: recording vocals... anyone?

Post by bigtoe » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:03 am

well...it's probably wise to start with the room you're in. it's pretty important even when doing 'right on the mic' vocals...and if you use an omni you'll get more of it...

try it...i think using two cardioids back to back should yield something resembling an omni...

Mike

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:10 am

lee wrote:hey guys,
any tips on Vocals? i have a 4040 and a couple 57s. no matter what i do, i cant seem to record vocals that lay into the mix. im going for something alittle "roomy", like thoughs on a squirrl nut zipper album, tom waits, or portisehead (selftitled, of course). any suggestions on compression, EQ, reverb, or anything.
thanks a million
i NEVER EVER record vocals. All the records I do require the lead vocalist to be present at every listening to add the vocals live.

I've found that this is the absolute best way to make sure the vocal fits in the room and in the track.

Not to mention is saves the singer from having his soul sucked out onto the recording medium.
YMMV

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:14 am

Tell the singer to sing into the SM57 and set the 4040 to the other side of the room. This really is good if the singer a) moves around a lot, b) alternates between belting it out, and singing softly, and c) doesn't care about anything. C) should also apply to you. If it doesn't then set up your 4040 (with a pop-filter) about a foot away from the vocalist, and set up the 57 at a 90 degree angle to the vocalist's mouth (also about a foot away). This sounds fun.
going one way down a wrong way street

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:13 pm

As was mentioned by Bigtoe, "knowing" your environment plays as important a role in how the vocals sound and what that will translate to once you drop them into the mix as much as the equipment you use. All of the suggestions you've been given so far are well worth trying so go ahead and try them!

There are so many variables that go into having things fit/sit/ have their own pace etc. in a mix that some specifics would help us help you get the desired results.

So I'll ask some further questions:

-What music/ sound is the vocal being applied to?

-What sort of room are you recording in?

-How well accustomed is the singer to recording vocals?

-What is the quick run down of how and what you record to?

There are a million plus things I could continue asking but it's my turn for giving general advice based on my experience with recording.

First and formost, do you take full advantage of panning things while mixing in order to give them their own space? Panning is a very simple way to make things "sit" correctly, so try panning things instead of "single file boys and girls". for a prime example listen to older recordings, on a pair of headphones sometime i.e. Coltrane, Beatles, Waits etc.

Secondly get to know your room. I know this is getting redundant but it really makes a difference. Also if you want lot's of "room" and all the clarity then set up that 4040 and see if the talent is talented enough to balance himself enough to have a consitent take when the mic is about a foot or two away, of course you can compensate a little bit by adding a small ammount of compression to the vocal...a SMALL ammount. Really let's make the "talent" work a bit to, it will go a long way in to making you and them very pleased with the final result.
Last edited by Devlars on Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:59 pm

Room, mic, preamp and singer....

To give a useful answer, we have to know the working conditions better.
We know you have a condensor and dynamic mic, but not much about the other x factors.

Are you in a bedroom, a garage, Is the singer a shouter or a shoegazer?
Do you have a preamp, What kind of board and what is the target medium (cassette? harddisk?)

-TimT

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:08 pm

convince the person to sing breathier than they normally would.

i'm a vocalist and record myself. i'm always shocked when i record a vocal take the same way i'd do it live and its so... sharp and popping out of the mix. then i do the same take, only breathier, and suddenly its at a more even volume, the sharpness is gone, and it blends right in a good way.