bellari mp-110 any good?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Re: bellari mp-110 any good?

Post by Moon Unit » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:27 pm

theistheman wrote:When you turn the gain knob and get to about 3 o'clock, it goes into all-out fuzz mode. It's a dramatic change, like at 2:45, it's just a slightly overdriven tube sound, and then at 3, it's super clipped-out distortion.
The problem with the Bellari 110 and 220 is that it starts clipping the output opamp before you're able to get a serious amount of tube fuzz out of it (hence the grainy, clipping stuff -- you're basically clipping the output) If there were some way of padding the signal before it reaches the output stage, you'd be in business.

I'm not one who's very good with electronics and DIY stuff, but I would assume this wouldn't be too difficult of a procedure for someone in the know? ? ?

Other than that, it's not a bad little mic pre. Like others have mentioned, a very nice alternative to the cheap starved plate junk out there when not driven too hard. And a great science project if you're the sort who likes to tweak things. I would start with the input transformer -- replacing it with a nice Jensen (JK115 I believe) can really clean up and open the sound . . . which might not be why someone would use the Bellari in the first place, I'll admit.
Last edited by Moon Unit on Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Maybe the replacement opamp from the mod doesn't clip as easily? I don't know yet-- my chip will be here in a day or two. Anyone here who's done the mod? Jeff, what do you think?

By the way, I think there's only one opamp in there and I ordered two, so if anyone wants one, lemme know and it's yours.

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:34 pm

I've pretty much done as much modding as I can justify on this thing. :D And the output still clips just a tad too easily.

It would be an extremely cool and useful piece of gear if that could be addressed easily.

Anyone out there know anything about how to pad the signal a bit going to the output stage? 10 db or so could make a world of difference.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:20 pm

ubertar wrote:Maybe the replacement opamp from the mod doesn't clip as easily? I don't know yet-- my chip will be here in a day or two. Anyone here who's done the mod? Jeff, what do you think?

By the way, I think there's only one opamp in there and I ordered two, so if anyone wants one, lemme know and it's yours.
If it's a Bur-Brown, yea... I've been meaning to get one! Still have it?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:57 pm

It's an Analog Devices, the one blacklionaudio suggests. I don't have it yet; it's on its way.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:41 am

Also cool! Yea, let me know. Thanks!! :D
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.