Your First Recording Unit

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Re: Your First Recording Unit

Post by Devlars » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:10 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:I would make my little sister speak a whole page of words for me, then I would re-arrange her words by splicing them and make her say stuff like "i stink like a donkey" and we would crack up.
:rofl: it worked again!
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:25 am

Hell yeah my first was a simple little tape recorder. I recorded an album for my band at the time with it. We just set up the drums bass guitar and an amp for the vocals around it and adjusted till it sounded good. Everything came out pretty good, welll at least for the tape machine.

Here is my first multi-track

Oh man I loved this machine! I had soo much fun with it. I recently tried to find it again cause my DAW was down, but it was no where to be found. :cry: I was thinking about buying another one, but I don't know if I ever will.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:33 am

Oh man, sorry for the huge pic.

How do you insert a pic that's not at a URL?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:43 am

JRSGodfrey wrote:Oh man, sorry for the huge pic.

i would like to know this as well...

my first recorder was a borrowed 4 track cassette thingy. i forget what brand it was...something weird, not a tascam or fostex. it was this upright box kinda thing. anyway, i can remember the first thing i ever multitracked...a 1 measure drum beat from a roland r5 drum machine, a couple minutes of me chunking away on Em-D-C, and then, naturally, a wailing solo over the top. i remember being SO AMAZED sitting there listening to the solo i just recorded over the chords.

that was roughly half my life ago. i'm still doing essentially the same thing:)

moschops
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by moschops » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:47 am

Late 70s-mid 80s: My dad's Realistic stereo reel 2 reel, boom boxes, and the typical small cassette recorders-- plus a big ugly green public school tape recorder (anyone remember these?).

1989: Tascam Porta 05. My first multitrack.

1992: Tascam Porta 07.

1995: Tascam 464. IMO, the best cassette 4-track.

2000: Tascam 48. This thing rules...

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:56 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
JRSGodfrey wrote:Oh man, sorry for the huge pic.

i would like to know this as well...
Pretty sure ya can't.. because if you could then the board server would be swamped with a gagillion picture files. They already have to have a pretty strong server for our thousands of messages and users.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:09 pm

I even found a picture small enough of the Teac 144 that I've changed my avatar to pay homage to what got me started.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:30 pm

In 1995 I purchased a Superbala open reel 1/4" 2-track with Sound on Sound, Built in ECHO, mic an dline inputs.

It ruled.

I wanted a cassette 4 track (like everybody else had at that time). All I could afford was the Superbala (which I purchased for $15 at Salavation Army). It came with large box of Tape for use with it. The tape had all kinds of songs recorded by (I am assuming) the family that had owned it... the family singing hits of the day I suppose, christmas songs. I recognized a Dolly Parton song once.

I NEVER bulk erased the tape. I simply recorded over what was there. I would plug my guitar into the mic input, and combined with the onboard echo, I got some great guitar sounds.

The only mics I had were an Altec Crystal Omni type mic, and a shure mic that looked like an electric shaver.

Using Sound on Sound I made some of my most cherished recordings.

The motor died after about a year of heavy use. I threw it in the trash, and purchased another reel to reel at the thrift store (it used to be so easy to find cool stuff BEFORE EBAY). The second reel to reel was not as cool as the Superbala.

CHeers and tears,

tony

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:35 pm

my first was the yamaha mt-400 4trk. when i bought it the guy recommended an sm58 to go with it and i remember thinking to myself "a hundred bucks for a microphone... that's a lot of dough but then again it's probably the only one i'll ever need." ah, the past.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:46 pm

ihavecomputer wrote:my first was the yamaha mt-400 4trk. when i bought it the guy recommended an sm58 to go with it and i remember thinking to myself "a hundred bucks for a microphone... that's a lot of dough but then again it's probably the only one i'll ever need." ah, the past.
ahahah same story here, but with a 57. The amazing thing, 11 years later, that 57 is still in use, i gotta take a picture of it, its fucking gross, cause i also use it for my vocal mic in practice.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:55 pm

ihavecomputer wrote:my first was the yamaha mt-400 4trk. when i bought it the guy recommended an sm58 to go with it and i remember thinking to myself "a hundred bucks for a microphone... that's a lot of dough but then again it's probably the only one i'll ever need." ah, the past.
i remember when i bought a used 57 for $50 when i was like 20 and thinking that was completely absurd to spend that much money on a mic - it was SUCH a huge deal to spend that much money on a mic. everything i had before then was junk that i had either inherited or "borrowed" and never returned. (oops!)

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:02 pm

A Porta One that I bought from the tech guy at the Ordway in St. Paul MN. Loved the machine, gave it to a good friend of mine (I had helped her with her animation school soundtrack, now she's animating for DreamWorks and formerly ILM).

I also found recently the very first recorded guitar riffs I did in college, done straight to boom box. You know, it sounded pretty damn good in a GBV sort of way. Maybe I should unlearn and get back to the beginning :wink:

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:06 pm

The AKAI 4000D reel to reel with SOS, great saturated 7.5 ips

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:17 pm

xonlocust wrote:
i remember when i bought a used 57 for $50 when i was like 20 and thinking that was completely absurd to spend that much money on a mic - it was SUCH a huge deal to spend that much money on a mic. everything i had before then was junk that i had either inherited or "borrowed" and never returned. (oops!)
Yeah, i had some those sweet "borrowed" mics from my highschool theatre department. Being punk rock and in the high school marching/symphonic band was the shit cause then i could play guitar in the jazz band and crank the rat pedal on 25 or 6 to 4

HypCo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by HypCo » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:31 pm

My first multi-track was a TEAC 2340. Still have it. Need to start using it again.