small-diaphragm condenser microphones

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
The Poopsmith
audio school

small-diaphragm condenser microphones

Post by The Poopsmith » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:28 am

Hey,

I'm looking for decent small-diaphragm condenser microphones (stereo pair) for micing accoustic guitar and drum over heads. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking at the MXL 603s, AKG C1000s and Rode NT5's.

Also how important is it to actually have a "factory matched" pair with newer mics?

Thanks,

The Poopsmith

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Re: small-diaphragm condenser microphones

Post by superluminalmagus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:37 am

I've had very good luck using the C1000S for acoustic guitar. I've also gotten some good acoustic sounds with a Shure SM81. You might consider some AKG C430's for overheads. Possibly some Oktava MC012s?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:48 am

If you can afford it, the Neumann KM-140 is the way to go...factory matched as far as im concerned, is not a tremendous necessity, at least for what i have had to do so far (mid fi-high fi projects)...but thats just my $.02...

Otherwise, the Shure SM-81 is unbeatable for its price...

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:26 am

I think the C1000s are wretched. I've used them on ocasion just to get the single odd color which they provide, but to my ears they're just doing so much screwy, unpleasant shit to midrange sounds. I own NT5s and while they'll tend to sound flatter (and darker) on a variety of sources than many other SDCs (i.e. good for stereo room, jazz, location) I've never been pleased with the results for rock acoustic and drum OH. While I STILL haven't used the MXL 603s or Oktava MC012 (they're supposedly very similar sounding) i've heard that they're supposed to sound more traditional than the other mics i've mentioned. Best bang for the buck regardless ($200 pair or less for either).
Factory matching or matching them yourself (by ear) is very important since none of the aforementioned companies have respectable QC departments. And even if they did, you want two mics that were made under the exact same condition if you care about accurate stereo correlation.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:45 am

I love my SM-81's as OH's and for acoustic recording. They are not factory matched, and I can't tell. An amazing mic IMO.

Luke
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Luke » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:49 am

The AT pro 37r is a nice mic, I use them for oveheads alot. They are on sale in the new MF catalog for $89 a piece. That is alot less than I paid and the cheapest I've seen them.
Good Luck,
Luke
Use what you have, after all, it's all you've got.LV

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:52 am

I really like the MXL 603's and they can be found for VERY little (60) on ebay.
I have a few that I modded with the Royer tube kits that I use on drums all the time and they are accurate, warm, and consistant.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:58 am

i lm a big fan of sm81..some others to consider..avenson sto-2 omni pair..earthworks..neumann..gefell..whats yr budget?

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:19 am

i bought some sure ksm 109s for this purpose and i've been really happy with them. They don't sound like neumans i guess, but i gave under 350 for the pair and they've done exactly what i hoped they would. Really nice on acoustic guitars. I throw them up as room mics for band practice and have had very usable results as well.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

moschops
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by moschops » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:30 am

I second the Shure KSM 109, and if your budget permits, Josephson c42.

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:16 pm

SM 81's if you have the money, otherwise KSM 109's.
Bill~~~

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:10 pm

Hi Poopsmith ! I was just looking at this new mic from this new company called "Kel Audio". I have not heard or seen it in person, but the company claims its a good, different sounding mic than other entry level mics. It looks good and it's Cheap! It lists for $99.00, but will be selling them for an introductory price of $69.00! They even have a couple of sample clips on their web site. I'm planning on ordering one or two.Couldn't hurt for the price! Hope this helps.

The Poopsmith
audio school

Post by The Poopsmith » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! Been helping a lot.

It's not so much a matter of budget as much as it's a matter of bang for the buck. I'm not a fan of the top of the line mics that sell for top of the line prices, or crappy mics that sell dirt cheap. I like the bargin.

And the bargin maybe a $100 mic that sounds as good as a $300 mic, or the $400 mic that sounds as good as a $1000 mic. Know what I mean? That said I'd really like to keep it under $400. I figure I'll ethier go with the MXL 603's ($150-$199 for a pair on ebay) or save a bit more money and go with something in the $300-$400 range if that seems like the better bargin.

Thanks!

The Poopsmith

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:40 pm

I say the Audio Technica 4051a can't be beat without paying twice as much.

I love these mics.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:02 pm

akg 451s the reissues are pretty affordable and sound great on acoustics and overheads and even as rooms. very snappy overall and nice in the midrange. word,

sam