Monitor Stands Specifically for Non-Level Surfaces

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
awolski
buyin' gear

Monitor Stands Specifically for Non-Level Surfaces

Post by awolski » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am

So here's my deal...I am currently using plastic milk crates and wooden shims to stand my monitors on my cracked, non-level basement floor. I want something that is a "real" monitor stand, has less of a footprint and is more sturdy than a stack of plastic crates, and preferably has adjustable height. The only things like these I've found are a couple different models of QuikLok stands with "levelling floor spikes" though I've read reviews that suggest these are flimsy and poorly built. Does anyone have an impression of these stands or suggest something else? Or maybe something I can build that is adjustable? I want to have something I can plop a level on the monitor platform and adjust until it's level (duh). I've done some searches and nothing addresses this very specific topic. Any ideas?

SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

Re: Monitor Stands Specifically for Non-Level Surfaces

Post by SLiM BiLT » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:35 am

I think you could modify any store-bought or homemade speaker stands by adding some kind of adjustable feet. You can get T-nuts at the hardware store and pound them into the base. Use a bolt as the foot. You could then adjust the bolts up or down as needed to level. Or you could get some proper adjustable feet for cabinets (usu. called "levelers") and adapt them. Here's a link to a company that I've ordered lots of stuff from that stocks several different kinds

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_gr ... 1&catid=28

As an alternative to buying them new, I've scavaged such parts from old office furniture.

Whatever method you use, I'd also recommend you only use three feet. That way, no matter how irregular your floor, the stands automatically find a stable position. Not necessarily level, but stable.

G'luk
<i>Captain, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man.</i>