Yeah, thats why they call me the new guy

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Yeah, thats why they call me the new guy

Post by newguy12 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:22 pm

Just curious, I've been reading through some of the posts and noticed that alot of people don't have very positive things to say about the DBX 266 Compressor. Now I know its a cheap-o comp but for its price why is it so bad? Would I be better off selling mine and aquiring an RNC or something along those lines?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Yeah, thats why they call me the new guy

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:16 pm

yes. :D

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:16 pm

i think the 266 is kind of in 3630 land as far as usefulness...not very. the rnc sounds pretty good, but i've only logged a few sessions on it. if you're on a dbx budget, you might like the 166 a bit better...sounds better to my ears. some of the older symentrix and ashly stuff is a good step up, and since its used, you'll probably be able to make a pretty big step up for less than you paid for your dbx. there was a thread on symetrix comps a short while back...try s search. people recommended several models, many of which pop up on the 'bay for around $100 or less. i picked up a pair of symetrix 522s which can slave to stereo, run as dual mono, and limit, expand, gate, or duck with ins for spectral processing. they were like $125 for the pair, and give me 4 mono or two stereo channels. they don't shake the earth, but they sound just fine.

frank

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:55 am

"I've been reading through some of the posts and noticed that alot of people don't have very positive things to say about the DBX 266 Compressor."

It's what you don't like about it that should warrant you wanting to get another compressor...have ya heard anything you don't like? i just heard one for a bit a few weeks ago and it was kinda like every other budget compressor...it works but but it's mushy, which can work...but there are 'better.'

that symterix thing mentioned above is really cool...or is it the 501 i heard...a couple studios in town had those...the rnc is really cool too...if yer used to the 266 the clarity on the rnc will bug you out. see ya...

Mike