REAMPING: What is the main reason you REAMP???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
logancircle
tinnitus

REAMPING: What is the main reason you REAMP???

Post by logancircle » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:01 am

Fatten a snare through your $5000 tube amp? Reverb? Adding distortion to a kick drum? Just curious--thanks.

lee
steve albini likes it

Re: REAMPING: What is the main reason you REAMP???

Post by lee » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:06 am

to amp something again? i dont know either.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:11 am

AHHHH! That is the most disturbing avatar I've ever seen. WTF?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:19 am

I am really starting to hate the term "reAmp."
(not directed at you, the original poster, just in general).

Running sounds back through a speaker of some sort is SOOOO not a new concept.

Sending drums out to a PA and chambering using the live room: Not Reamping.

Sending a snare track back out through an auratone on a simmons pad (like on the cars records)? Not reamping.

Etc...etc....

Taking a DI of a live performance so you can decide on the best AMP for the job after the basics are done?

Starting to be "reamping."

Using a REAMP, made by REAMP, to get the signal back to a level and impedance that the fender twin wants to see: REAMPING!!!!

Any other form of running signal out to something to manipulate its sound is just that: manipulation by any means neccessary. That would include any of the above, including a traditional chamber which had an amp and a speaker and a microphone, just sitting in a room made specifically for ambience.
That was not reamping, that was chambering, and to use a term loosely makes waters down the meaning. That would be like saying "compressing" when you were gating something, or calling a gate a "fader."

My rant is just so we are clear, and not just heping to spread misinformation to someone who may not know the difference between chambering and re-recording something through an amplifier intended for instruments.

The snare triggering (by means of acoustic coupling from a speaker) trick can be amazingly useful, but it is not so much the sound of the amp/speaker combination you are looking for, which is why people have used things like auratones sitting on the keeper ring from a 2" spool to trigger even the most delicate of brushed snare performances, to get what they need in a mix from what is on tape.

I guess the simple answer to your question is:

I do whatever is needed to get something to sound great. If I need to send guitar tracks back out to an amp and re-record them properly, I will. If the snare sucks and I need more: use the snare/speaker trick (which doesnt require any "reamp" type devices by the way).

Sorry to sound harsh, but I feel that this important subject requires clear terms for those who have not done it a bunch of times, or know what to call what they are doing ( as stated long-winded-ly above... ugh).

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:48 am

I got the terminology wrong--I guess I was combining chambering with reamping, which are different, but sortof of the same principle. I play different drum tracks through different amps to get new colors, but I don't use a REAMP per se. Would you still call that chambering? I've never used a REAMP, so maybe I'm missing something sonically by just taking a TRS out from my 828 into different speakers?

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:07 am

logancircle wrote:AHHHH! That is the most disturbing avatar I've ever seen. WTF?
Yeah I can't even look at it. I've seen a few post by Lee now and everytime I see that bit of pink I just scroll right past it....really disturbing. Interesting but disturbing. It's a vocal chord and not a special V in case anyone was wondering...at least that's what I read.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:27 am

But a reamp can be used for chambering.

I've used it to dial in the tone better and rerecord, often discarding the original.

Joel- what is the snare triggering thing you mentioned? What is triggering/getting triggered?
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:04 pm

here's an interesting related interlude:

http://www.acoustics.org/press/147th/Case1.htm

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:29 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:That was not reamping, that was chambering, and to use a term loosely makes waters down the meaning. That would be like saying "compressing" when you were gating something, or calling a gate a "fader."

My rant is just so we are clear, and not just heping to spread misinformation to someone who may not know the difference between chambering and re-recording something through an amplifier intended for instruments.

Yea, but unfortunately, the term "re-amping" has somehow become a vital and integral part of my studio vocabulary, in fact . . . :D If I say "re-chambering," no one's gonna' know what in the Sam Hell I'm talking about.

I plan on using the term "re-amping" all the time now. :D

RE-AMPING is cool.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:39 pm

I don't know if this will fit Mr. Hamilton's definition but the way I have used reamping is to record a clean guitar track and then run the signal back through a POD later to experiment with different sounds. This gives a great deal of flexibility on choosing a guitar sound for a 3rd or 4th guitar part that is a good fit for mix.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm

I am not the keeper of the flame, so I dont really care about the terminology, but on a public forum, I feel it is good to be clear, or as clear as possible.

That is the only reason (along with being in the middle of a really long project) that I was ranting so hard.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:43 pm

Joel- what is the snare triggering thing you mentioned? What is triggering/getting triggered?
I too am not sure what technique you are refering to and would like to hear more. Thanks!

mildred-pitt
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mildred-pitt » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:37 pm

THAT AVATAR!!! AHHH!!!!!

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:41 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I am really starting to hate the term "reAmp."
Hmm, good points. Think I'll xerox a copy of this thread to send to my friend -- oops, right after I clean up this spill with a kleenex!