Interface Advice...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Interface Advice...

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:14 am

I own an Apple iBook 14"/640MB/933 mhz, and do a lot of multitracking in the box and on a Roland DAW...I use the laptop and the DAW at the same time, but due to limited inputs on my current interface and limitations to the DAW, can only record 6 tracks at a time...

I have been looking into the Presonus Firepod and the MOTU 828...I do not have my own mic pres, but rather, borrow them whenever i need them. The 828 only has 2 pres, but is supposed to be incredible, but the Firepod has 8 pres, and I have not heard anything about its functionality/how it compares to the 828...

Can anyone advise me?
Thanks,
Alex...

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Re: Interface Advice...

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:00 am

You might also want to check the Metric Halo 2882. It could work for you depending on what kind of music you're recording. The pres--it has 8--are good, but not super quiet.

www.mhlabs.com

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:06 am

I can personally attest to the fact that the 828 is NOT incredible. Get the best 8 channel interface with the best A/D converters, then if you have a mixer, use those pre's. If you don't have a mixer, get one with good pre's or just get outboard pre's. But I guess if you had money you wouldn't have posted this thread.

Or have sex with 50 fat chicks for $1000. Or 1000 fat chicks for $50... WHAT?! Fat chicks need love too...BUT THEY GOTTA PAY!

EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:53 am

I don't have a lot of cash to spend. I am fortunate enough to have a summer job at a professional audio/video rental company, and am able to rent high-end mics/pres/compressors occasionally. Unfortunately, they are more show oriented, and less studio oriented, and do not specialize in pres/inerfaces, but more in processing/mics/mixing, etc...

I rent the high end equipment as needed, but am lacking a proper recording medium/interface...

Thanks for anyone that can help...the fat chicks idea isnt too bad...ill look into it...
Alex

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:06 am

Don't know what the complaint is about the 828II - the convertors are totally useable.

If you're on a budget, I can safely say the 828II is a good bet. I've heard of issues with the Presonus, which may be resolved by now, but I know the 828II works great at least on Macs.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:41 am

The 828 and the 828II are not the same thing. The 828 is older. And doesn't have a cool digital face. Or feelings.