Californication RHCP horrible mastering...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Theron D
pushin' record

Californication RHCP horrible mastering...

Post by Theron D » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:39 pm

Who the hell mastered this album? It's horrible. I listened to it tonight on my mid grade stereo system, and it just reeks of noticable distortion. The clipping buzzing sound in the center....

What other albums are out there that sound this bad? The loudness wars have got to give, when are things going to turn around???

Theron D

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Californication RHCP horrible mastering...

Post by E-cue » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:03 pm

I heard some of the final mixes pre-mastering. You'd be friggin' amazed at how open and distortion-free they were. If I had mixed those, I'd be VERY p.o.'ed.

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:39 pm

I've asked certain reputable engineers not to compromise fidelity for the sake being louder, and they still come back overcompressed, muddy and shitty. I'm not the greatest mixer, but I know it's supposed to come back from mastering sounding better, not worse. Most of my clients say they want it as loud as possible. I don't get it, in the mixing stage they can be ultra picky about how loud certain things are. "Can you turn down that one one word like one notch". Then it comes back from mastering and the drums are all but gone, and they're stoked because it's louder than their Smashing Pumpkins CD or whatever.

I don't get why we pay someone $1000 to make our music louder, when the volume knob comes with the stereo.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:51 pm

Music is really boring without transients.

Dynamics have been gone for a long time, but now transients are going away too.

That is why I stick with the same few mastering people. I am pretty adament about it.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:36 am

What's the difference anyway?

With Anthony Kiedis' voice (and 3rd grade level lyrics) on the record, the music is destroyed anyway.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:10 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:Music is really boring without transients.

Dynamics have been gone for a long time, but now transients are going away too.

That is why I stick with the same few mastering people. I am pretty adament about it.
here here!

I agree with that, and J.B.'s comments.

Anyone who has seen my ranting posts about the pathetic loudness wars knows where I stand or can UTFSE to fine yout, so I'll stop here for now. :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

colinandrew12
gettin' sounds

Post by colinandrew12 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:30 am

J.B.Horns wrote:I don't get why we pay someone $1000 to make our music louder, when the volume knob comes with the stereo.
alright dude....you totally need to use this as your signature quote before i steal it from you and start using it as mine:-)
...just remember, when doing live sound: you can't polish a turd....

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:27 am

I heard there was a silent recall on the 'original' and a few days later they had fixed it with a new CD. The chorus of 'californication' (the song) is so distorted its ridiculous.

Compare modern (most) rock music with absolutely no dyanmic range to movie scores, with almost full dyanmics.

Imagine a movie with no range. The attack scenes would be as loud as the intro. Less exciting isnt it? Same with any music.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

bryanlemeilleur
audio school

Post by bryanlemeilleur » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:52 am

since they have a new cd coming out in november
how 'bout U2's all that you can't leave behind.
some distortion there too

smtcharlie
audio school

Post by smtcharlie » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:31 am

Well, I can at least listen to "All You Can't Leave Behind." I cannot, however, even listen Morrissey's current album. It is so loud and distorted that I am exhausted after a song or two. It's really sickening.

Anybody know the story with this?

k

--------
www.smalltimecharlie.com

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:35 am

What bugged me the most was the new Fire Theft album. I was so happy to see it come out.. bought it and OH MY GOODNESS! It's totally distorted all over.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @
http://www.audio-labs.net

apexer
audio school

Post by apexer » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:02 pm

wow, i just went and listened to all my fav rock albums (including californication) they are all distorted! It has never bothered me before, so i guess the distortion is not such a big deal. what i'm bummed about is the loss of the dynamics / transients. I think mastering engineers should go back to mastering a little more moderately, and then put a sticker on the cd that says "this cd won't be as loud as ludicrus, so turn it up!" haha. yea, probably won't happen.
engineer for hire - www.kpbutler.com

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:58 pm

I was joking with Jeff Lipton a few weeks ago that a "full dynamic range" trend would hit the Major Labels, and they would re-master and re-market all of these over-compressed CDs as having "The Original Dynamic Range As The Artist Intended!" and/or "Fully Restored To The Original Mixes!" (Really we were only half-joking - it could happen!)

He and I agree that there is a bit of a trend to get back to transients and dynamics again. We were very careful when he was mastering my next release not to overly squash it. "Punchy" was the order of the day, and "Punchy" requires dynamics and transients. Needless to say he did a wonderful job.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:53 pm

The loudness trend is indeed out of control. One thing I think is interesting is how I notice it blatantly on some records, but not as much on others even though it's just as present. i.e: When I got the latest Jane's Addiction record, I was way cranky that such a well mixed and cool album was RUINED by the typical "limiting gone mad", but I never noticed it on Audioslave's record until I read someone bitching about it on the internet. Sure enough, when I listened critically I was like "oh my god...." ...totally squashed to hell. But I listen to that album all the time and the over limiting never bugs me on that one....

maybe it just fits on some records better than others. But regardless, it must end. It is the shit trend of all time.

U2's new song sounds pretty macked to me.... I'm sure it will be too fucking loud on the record, but I'll still buy it anyway 'cause I'm an obsessive fan and it's amazing to hear them go all big rock.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:45 pm

The sad part is that these super limiters like L2s and things can make mixes louder and still make them sound great, but we have to get out of control and slide that slider a few dB down and there ya go. Ruined mastering job.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY