Music Man!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dynomike
carpal tunnel

Music Man!

Post by dynomike » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:26 pm

Yes! I just got my 210-hd in the mail (130 watt tube power, solid state preamp with tremolo and reverb into 2x10)

Like every used amp i've ever bought, it fills the room with a delicious aroma of tobacco whenever the tubes are warmed up. It is honestly the best clean sound I've ever heard. Not to mention the trem! So luscious. It sounds like it is modulating the pitch a little as well. And these things are still going cheap.. so heads up to all you fender lovers, the time is now to go musicman!

My only beef is that the channels are not footswitchable, but I also bought a voodoo lab sparkle drive which is working great at driving the amp a little more. Beautiful sustain even on clean with no reverb from this amp. I'd played the 65 watt version before, but this is even better. It does have a half power switch to 65 watts. And, it was under 400 bones on ebay in near-mint shape! For a 70's amp, I was totally impressed with the condition. All original but new tubes.

Anyway I'm sure many of you out there are converted to music man already, but for those who aren't I want to spread the good word.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Re: Music Man!

Post by DryCounty » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:16 pm

Congratulations! I always wanted the 210/130 combo. I've had the 210-65 too (I sold it due to thinking it was a little underpowered) and still own a 212-HD-130 and an insane 115-HD-130 that I use a lot. Played my first one in 1995 while recording at Sound of Music in Richmond, VA. John Morand, the engineer at the time pulled out David Lowery's old 210/130 for me to mess around on (it was still marked "CVB" with spray paint) and I've been a big fan ever since.

Some people call these amps "Twin Killers" and I tend to agree -- great tone, both clean and overdriven and especially at their price point. I've never paid more than $400 for any of them.

Check out the following link for a great MM site:

http://www.musicmanamps.com

The forums are a great place to start.

I love these amps!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:51 pm

Yah, I had a 210 for several years. I agree, they're a fab-u-lously clean spank. I think I finally gave it up when I wanted a little more "tweed" in the tone. Still miss it. Those have surely got the mojo going.

thekeepsake
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by thekeepsake » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:04 pm

This is interesting because I have had two 130hd combos that have both died via transformer failure in the past year. Great tone, though. I always just used an a/b for channel switching, although i try to set mine right so that playing harder will give me enough overdrive.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:14 pm

two 130hd combos that have both died via transformer failure
you may be aware of this but Mouser Electronics offers the replacement transistor for the HD-130s. I've had friends blow mine twice.

I sold it to a friend a few months ago and bought a Portaflex instead because I have two Bassmans and the were all a little too similar, but the HD is still running strong and sounds great. The cabinet is a matching 1x15" which was killer.

nice amps for sure. . .

thekeepsake

Post by thekeepsake » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Can you give me a contact for Mouser electronics? Thanks!!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Just got back from a weeklong session with pscottm and had to post a photo of my rig:

Top to bottom:

Digitech 7.6 Time Machine
Ibanez UE-405 Compressor/Analog Delay/EQ
Music Man HD-130-115
Music Man HD-130-212

Pedals shown are my "backup": Ibanez DE-7, Ibanez Soundtank compressor (pretty good, IMO), RAT, Whirlwind A/B, Tubulator. I normally use only a tuning pedal and a TS-808 live.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:38 pm

Just add the .com. . .

http://mouserelectronics.com/

I forget the part number since I sold the amp. . . see if yours is marked. I might be able to track it down for you if not. . .

thekeepsake

Post by thekeepsake » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:41 pm

If you wouldn't mind tracking it down... that'd be swell. My amp is still in the shop and they've had it for 4 months with no luck since they claim no replacement exists. If this works out, I'll know never to go to this repair shop again.

Thank you in advance!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:47 pm

I forgot that some other guy in our band also plays a MM:

I have no idea what is in that cabinet but Scott can get real heavy with it.
-----
Tulsa Drone

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:01 am

I gentlemen am also the proud owner of an RP-115, which is kind of rare actually. And the phaser is perfect. I love this amp. Such a nice clean amp. The best thing about these amps is that they're pretty reliable. More people need to be converted.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:14 am

amazing amp. perfect for when the fender ain't giving it up and the marshall is too much.

MIke

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:08 am

I use an HD-150 head and cabinet. Love that amp
I got them both for a song 8 years ago. It always
sounds great.
Nerp!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:40 am

my favorite amps ever!

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:15 am

I played for 8 years in a band where the guitare player used the 212 - great amp, loud as hell.

I did sound for Chris Kirkwood's new band "Volcano" a few months back and he uses the 210-130