Stereo Micing Techniques for Gtr Amps.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: Stereo Micing Techniques for Gtr Amps.

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:16 pm

pedrohead wrote:no matter what i do, i can't get two different mics (no matter how close/far they are) to sum together without phase problems.
mid-side mid-side mid-side mid-side mid-side!

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:07 am

One mic, one amp, play the same thing twice???
0x

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:44 am

A mic on different speakers... or even different amps. Use little labs box to play with the phase...

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:39 am

I just got some really great results using multiple cabinets. We were using an old Marshall JMP (crunchy, but not too gainy) and had it going into both a 2x12 and a 4x10. I put a baffle between the 2 cabs and close mic'ed both (a 57 and a beta 57 I think). I then threw a GT67 in figure 8 four or five feet back in the room. Sounded really great- I did very minimal eq in the mix. For some added fun I put a short delay on the right hand mic in the mix. Really spread things out nicely. Fun!

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:40 pm

trashy wrote:I've been having fun using mid-side on guitar amps. You might give that a try.

Also, I'm a big, big fan of micing the back of the amp as well as the front; that's been my m.o. for a long time.
I'm curious to try this as well. How close are you micing the mid-side mics? Are you doing it as an addition to say a 57 up on the cone and getting a room effect, or are you putting them close to the cabinet?
boom-ptch-boom

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:11 pm

midiot wrote: I'm curious to try this as well. How close are you micing the mid-side mics? Are you doing it as an addition to say a 57 up on the cone and getting a room effect, or are you putting them close to the cabinet?
Well, I'm not micing the mid-side mics - that would be weird!!! :lol:

No, I see what you're getting at. The whole point of mid-side is to get a stereo image without phase problems, so the two mics are one on top of another. The capsules should be in the same relative position. My lofiness has me using a 57 and a SPB3. I've been using them about a foot back, sometimes less. I'm pretty damn happy with it.

EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:44 pm

I've gotten great results using a Sennheiser 421 and a Neumann KM-140.

I put both about a 45 dergee angle pointed toward the center of the speaker, with the 140 maybe 3-4 inches farther back than the 421...change the bass control on the 421 for low end, and move the 140 closer for more highs...

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:25 am

trashy wrote:
midiot wrote: I'm curious to try this as well. How close are you micing the mid-side mics? Are you doing it as an addition to say a 57 up on the cone and getting a room effect, or are you putting them close to the cabinet?
Well, I'm not micing the mid-side mics - that would be weird!!! :lol:

No, I see what you're getting at. The whole point of mid-side is to get a stereo image without phase problems, so the two mics are one on top of another. The capsules should be in the same relative position. My lofiness has me using a 57 and a SPB3. I've been using them about a foot back, sometimes less. I'm pretty damn happy with it.
Sorry, I guess the way I asked the question was goofy as all hell. I understand the concept of mid-side. I was inquiring about the distance from mics to the cabinet. But you answered that now, thanks!
boom-ptch-boom

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:53 pm

Second the M-S method, but it's often too wide if you actually decode it into stereo if you have other instruments, but you can always mono-ify it. I would say the best guitars I've heard lately are with one close mic (57 or whatever) and one condenser (as a boundary) way back in the room, with the 57 panned left, the room mic panned left, then another guitar overdub may have the 57 right and the room left. It's cool to really mess with the panning once you've finished your mono mixing and you've panned the drums, bass and vocals. $.02
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~