People from Ottawa --- Montreal / Vocal instructors

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dynomike
carpal tunnel

People from Ottawa --- Montreal / Vocal instructors

Post by dynomike » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:44 am

I dredge up the Ottawa thread every once in a while :)

First off, identify yourselves! I'm curious how many on here are actually my neighbours.

Second of all, I'm really thinking about getting a vocal coach. I don't mind going to montreal once or twice a month if there is a significantly better vocal coach there. I have no idea where to start on this one, and I've been thinking about getting voice lessons for about a year, but haven't done shit about it.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: People from Ottawa --- Montreal / Vocal instructors

Post by dynomike » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:23 am

I can't believe how fast I have to bump this. Its been like 2 hours!
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

onlyreason
gettin' sounds

Post by onlyreason » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:40 pm

I'm from ottawa. Born and raised here actually. I live downtown, near parliament hill.

I've played in a lot of bands here over the years, some you may recognize, others you definitely won't. I have a small studio called transient sound where I record mainly friends' bands.

Our biggest recording to date would be Robot Kill City's EP which is coming out on SpectraSonicSound very soon. http://www.robotkillcity.com/ You should totally check them out because they are one of the better bands in the city.

I have a feeling we're the only two people on this board from Ottawa, along with my roommate who rarely posts.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:04 pm

onlyreason wrote:I'm from ottawa. Born and raised here actually. I live downtown, near parliament hill. .
Cool.. I'm at bronson and powell myself, in an apartment, but next year will be looking for a house in which I can set up my drums/mixer. and record.

How do you swing that? Where are ya set up?

Mike

onlyreason
gettin' sounds

Post by onlyreason » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:25 pm

Dude, do you ever go to the punk/indie shows at 290 powell? You should check it out this Friday, Robot Kill City, The Sick Fits and some band I can't remember from Toronto that's supposed to sound like the Dwarves.

It's basically a bunch of guys who rent the house and put on shows in the basement. Lots of drunken debauchery.

Do you live in the swanky new condos that went up across the street? Those are the only apartments I know of in the area. The rest of Powell is all townhouses no?

I have a two storey apartment on the top floor/attic of a big old house. The studio/practise spaace is in the attic and we've soundproofed things a bit. So we're able to record there without too many problems. Although we have had cops come inside when we were recording a screamy HC band. They were cool though...

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:44 pm

onlyreason wrote:Dude, do you ever go to the punk/indie shows at 290 powell? You should check it out this Friday, Robot Kill City, The Sick Fits and some band I can't remember from Toronto that's supposed to sound like the Dwarves.

It's basically a bunch of guys who rent the house and put on shows in the basement. Lots of drunken debauchery.

Do you live in the swanky new condos that went up across the street? Those are the only apartments I know of in the area. The rest of Powell is all townhouses no?

I have a two storey apartment on the top floor/attic of a big old house. The studio/practise spaace is in the attic and we've soundproofed things a bit. So we're able to record there without too many problems. Although we have had cops come inside when we were recording a screamy HC band. They were cool though...
Haha.. my friend at school knows that guy and invited me out once.. Andrew right? I've never met him though, and would feel weird going to his house not knowing anyone there. No, I don't live in the swanky condo's, alas, but on Cambridge, about 100m away, behind the mcdonalds. If you're going to the show on friday maybe we can meet, who knows.. I'm going to brixtons that night in the market, but could leave early - whens the show? We should continue this via email I suppose.. I'm pretty sure we ARE the only ottawa dudes on here.

I'll pm you with my email address.

Mike

tylerbcrawford
gettin' sounds

Post by tylerbcrawford » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:13 pm

Well I'm not from ottawa but I am from Canada. Saint John, NB. I didn't really know there were many other Canadians on here.

Any other canucks out there?
Lo-fi Super Fun Pop - the port city allstars

enen
audio school graduate

Post by enen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:25 pm

I am from our Nation's Capital..... i live downtown (Arlington and Bay).

I have a 1/2 inch 8 track (Teac 80-8) studio in the basement of my house.
Generally i track my friends bands, some of them you may have heard of (Greenfield Main, Rhume, South of 78, Bitchn' Cameros, Andrew Vincent and the Pirates (my old band)) and some you may not have.

that's my story.

Ian