Am I good enough for Neutrik?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Am I good enough for Neutrik?

Post by nacho459 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:46 am

I thought I was, but now I'm not sure. Their new add campaign is making me rethink if I am hip or ambiguous enough to use their connectors. I know $32 is money enough to buy a bag of 25 NC3 XLR connectors @ Pacific Radio. But am I worthy? Is Sleep only for the weak? Are food and water overrated? I am so confused. I always thought Neutrik connectors were the choice of professionals who build their own quality cables to ensure QC and save a lot of cash. But now I am realizing that I am simply not prepared for the hip Neutrik line of 1/4", XLR, NL4 connectors and those combo jacks. I don't have a cool hair cut or any hip clothing, I don't hang out in the cool clubs. MY GOD! I listen to Steely Dan! Please someone save me from my doomed fate of Switchcraft and Canare connectors. Please someone teach me how to be cool enough to use Neutrik!

If you have no idea what I'm talking about go here. http://www.neutrik.com/content/up_dates ... 0a_5228710

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Am I good enough for Neutrik?

Post by wing » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:36 am

heh, yea, i've seen the neutrik ad with the chick band in the last few tapeops, and yes, it's pretty stupid. i always look at it and laugh. it's a pretty cheesy guitarcenterafied type ad, i found it disappointingly bad, so much that i feel they should reconsider whoever their ad agency / markerter is. what does sleep have to do with connectors?

i bet they run this hip ad in magazines such as YM, seventeen, boy crazy, Teen People, etc. Little teeny kids buy their stuff up not even knowing what it is, but hey, they're good enough dangit!

the girl in the center looks like she has an extra hand growing on her shoulder (as opposed to being one of her friend's hands).

sleep and food... pssh... that sure is wussyboy stuff. real men use neutrik, nachopansy459! ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH?

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:04 am

Neutrik have a small turn- out, hence the price, fuck them!, their far too expensive.

Check out "Amphenol" an Australian equivalent, that arn't any lesser in quality, similar kind of thing, but almost half the price of Neutrik, especially if you buy them in bulk.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:05 am

they should have had those models show a little more leg and boob..then maybe i would buy more from them..

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:16 am

There must be some kind of govt. subsidy for models who look like pop stars... or else real pop stars are somehow too legit to appear in equipment ads.

Something seriously weird about that webpage, though. It won't fully render in either Konqueror or Mozilla, but it does try to print something out. :shock:

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:10 am

Scodiddly wrote: Something seriously weird about that webpage, though. It won't fully render in either Konqueror or Mozilla, but it does try to print something out. :shock:
:lol:

You're right!

'Sup with that?

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:55 am

wing wrote:
the girl in the center looks like she has an extra hand growing on her shoulder (as opposed to being one of her friend's hands).
wing you owe me a new powerbook because i just spit hot tea all over mine after reading that sentance
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:56 am

that ad is so dumb as to make me not buy neutrik.

the crowning touch is the "sleep is for the weak" quote. which has.....what to do with anything involving freakin connectors?

i personally like sleep. that's where i'm a viking.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:45 am

wing wrote:what does sleep have to do with connectors?
EVERYTHING. you'll see...
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:49 am

Here's my personal bitch about Neutrik: I wanted to install 1/4" and XLR patch panels to patch in from my iso room to my control room instead of constructing a pass-thru in the wall. Neutrik makes these really nifty wall plates with 4 sweet Neutrik connections on each panel. But they require a minimum order of like 5 units for each part number and none of their listed distributors will take orders of less than 5 units per part number.

So, like the other guy said, fuck them. Shouldn't their product at least be "accessible" in that price range?

Switchcraft is my choice from now on. They make a more durable product anyway. And there's something to be said about the beauty of a plain, ugly metal connector. Sometimes "functionality" is an art in it's own right.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:25 pm

I've always found Neutrik to be the least expensive, as far as XLR connectors, Way cheeper than Switchcraft, Canare or Amphenol I get bags of 25 connectors for something like $1.50 a connector.
http://pr3.pacrad.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... fnbr=26489

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:30 pm

segaface wrote:
Scodiddly wrote: Something seriously weird about that webpage, though. It won't fully render in either Konqueror or Mozilla, but it does try to print something out. :shock:
:lol:

You're right!

'Sup with that?

andy
Go Here and click on the first thing in the "News" section.
http://www.neutrik.com/start.asp?countr ... st=welcome
That's what I was trying to post.
Last edited by nacho459 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:32 pm

nacho459 wrote:I've always found Neutrik to be the least expensive, as far as XLR connectors, Way cheeper than Switchcraft, Canare or Amphenol I get bags of 25 connectors for something like $1.50 a connector.
Yeah, dumb ads or not, this is my experience as well.

Leigh

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Thanks for the improved link. I did see that fake-looking chick-band ad in TapeOp.

Oddly enough, there are indeed Neutrik knock-offs out there. True, the XLRs are pretty cheap, but the Speakons are still kind of pricey. I've heard of
some nasty problems with fake Speakons being plugged in backwards and then getting stuck in place.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:06 pm

"i personally like sleep. that's where i'm a viking."

ralph wiggum?! lordy that's funny.

Mike