whoa, is my rca f'd or what??

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Sayer
gettin' sounds

whoa, is my rca f'd or what??

Post by Sayer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:31 pm

Ok, I took in a RCA 74 Riboon mic as partial payment from a client some time ago, I have een amazingly impressed at its response and tonality...
Partly because I just wanted to see the guts and partly because I demand that I have records of all serial numbers, i had an intern take it apart... He called me to the worksation when he got it openend and upon inspection the ribbon seemed very loose and seemed a touch lopsided... I have been a fan of ribbons for years... however, most of them have been royers and i havent had much experience with rca's... In fact in total emberassment i admit i have never opened any other ribbon mic EVER...

I'm ashamed of course...

Is this typical for this kind of mic let alone any ribbon mic??? I was somewhat under the impression that the ribbon was to be tightly stretched as opposed to loose and wavy...

any help on this matter???

thanks as always...

p.s. as opposed to some of our colleagues, i just want to say that this board is hands down the best resource for all types of professions within the music and production industry(ies), no matter what your level of skill or commitment... It has been a while since I have thanked all of you for the hard work you do on this board to educate others like myself and the ability also to let me return the favor when i can ....
two bpms & three dudes away from a hit.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: whoa, is my rca f'd or what??

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:15 pm

Send it to Clarence Kane at ENAK in NJ. If the mic is in perfect condition, he will send it back to you with no charge other than what the return shipping costs him.

It's my impression that the ribbon shouldnt be loose, but I've never taken apart a 74. Having built RCA mics for a long time, Clarence would be an excellent resource. He's a really nice guy, to boot.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:18 pm

The ribbon should sit in the gap between the magnets, there should be a slight sag in it, but it sounds like the tension has slipped on it on you're one, it will be clamped down at both end's, check that the screws on the clamps are tight, you have to very carefull when applying tension back into the ribbon, as you don't want to pull the corrugations out of it, they are also very easily torn, as you are looking at a bit of aluminium foil of around 1.1 microns in thickness, that's thinner than a strand of hair.

Be really carefull, you can tune roughly by ear, if the ribbon is too tight in the gap, it will sound honky/ringy, mess around with it until it sounds right to you're ears... you should get an increase in bass end when you talk right up to it.

If you break the ribbon, contact Stephen Sank at The Talking Dog Transducer Company, where he will re ribbon the mic with the proper RCA stock foil.

Good luck with it.

Al

Sayer
gettin' sounds

Post by Sayer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:27 pm

thanks for the suggestions...

on my mic there's only one side that clamps down and im now thinking of tightening it somewhat... what precautions /tools should i use are ther any tricks to is other than using an assload of downers to calm my hands ??? (JK)
two bpms & three dudes away from a hit.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:47 pm

I retensioned the ribbon on my RCA Varacoustic myself. The ribbon on that is a lot smaller than the one on the 74. You don't want to pull it taut. Just tight enough that it doesn't sag. I just used my fingers and maybe a tweezer, I forget.
Is there something wrong with how it sounds? If it ain't broke... yadda yadda.