g-string phase problems

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
odsus
gimme a little kick & snare

g-string phase problems

Post by odsus » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:19 pm

Howdy tape oppers, long time no post.
So, here it is, I have a 74 tele bass (sweet huh?):

although as sweet as it is, when I play my g-string past the fifth fret (especially audible around the twelfth fret) there is an almost phasing sound. What the hell is that? Recorded or not, if I hold a note on my g-string (you all must think that I am dirty by now) it seems to phase. Does anyone have any kind of answer for me? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Huh?

mrufino1
pushin' record

Re: g-string phase problems

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:42 pm

Check the angle of the string over the nut. Should be okay because of the string retainer, but check anyway. Also, maybe the nut slot is cut too deep or too shallow. Usually happens on the a string, which is why all of my basses have a string retainer for the a too, but who knows. Also, I knwo J basses tend to get fuzzy towards the top of the e string, perhaps it is an issue wiht the design of the pickup? I'm not familiar with the tele bass at all. If in doubt, take it to a tech, usualyl it's little thigns that re out of adjustment and when you tweak those it can make all the difference.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:01 pm

Your bass is screwed beyond hope, to dispose of it, mail it to me.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:13 pm

I have a 70's P-bass and it makes some phasee noises too. I can post something and you can see if it's the same thing...

www.istramusic.com/bassclip.mp3

This is a quick clip from a song. See if this sounds like what you are getting. Mine also makes buzzing noises due to one of the tuners not having a string on it. If it doesn't sound like this...well just shut mah mouth...

odsus

Post by odsus » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:38 pm

Boy, brand new strings huh? But yes that is very similar, any ideas?
Huh?

odsus

Post by odsus » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:43 pm

The bass has an old brass nut, which is probably very worn, and what looks like a soap bar pickup, although even with the bass unpluged you can hear the phasing.
Huh?

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:01 pm

could it be that there is something touchinng the string causeing to make that sound. or like the frets are to high so it sounds sorta buzzy? it could be that, thats what it sorta sounds like to me cause you say even you can here it unplugged?? just guessing here

-chris

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:04 pm

Check your strings too- a bad string can cause that. If you hear it without it being plugged in, it is either the string or the nut.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:29 pm

I don't know what it is, but I notice it does it even when it's not plugged in to anything, so It's not electronics. I guess it could be the nut. Some vintage gear dude is gonna get here any minute and let us know how stoopid we are.

Heh..G-strings and nuts...

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:33 pm

it's either a bad string, which i doubt, or a wolf tone. wolf tones are the bane of all stringed instruments, and it is the frequency, or various frequencies that the instrument 'refuses' to resonate at due to the molecular wieght of the wood. it's usually less noticable on electric instruments than acoustic, but all instruments have them, ranging from barely noticable to total shite. all my instruments, to some degree, exhibit wolf tones, and i merely know that personality of each instrument and avoid the notes that suck. for intrance, if i play an Eb on the G string of my 76 jazz, it has no sustain and peters out to a wimpy harmonic, but if i play an Eb on the D string (same register) it rings much better. on my upright it's the C on the G string. most basses it's between B and E on the G string... for some reason those frequencies combined with the length of the string and the mass of it are problematic... this is the curse of stringed instruments.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:36 pm

My Jazz Bass used to do that unamplifiied. It turned out that the tuning "peg" was loose where it is clamped together. I soldered it back tight and haven't had the problem since.
Bill~~~

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:27 pm

sounds to me like the action is too low and the string is making contact with frets that it shouldn't be touching. try raising the saddle up a bit...

frank
takin' a dinner break

Post by frank » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:51 am

I have a similar problem with the g-string on my guitar(jaguar reisssue). 'cept I get very little sustain on ANY note, fretted or open. I've checked it over myself: bridge, nut, frets. couldn't locate any obvious problems. I took it to a couple of techs who were either baffled or simply dismissed the phenomenon as inherent in the guitar.

anybody experience this problem with guitars?

solutions?
Red Hook!

odsus

Post by odsus » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:00 am

The guy who sold me the bass had noticed it also and took it to a tech to set it up. There have been several new sets of strings on there and that makes no difference either, It is barely noticeable when playing pluged in and frankly i cant hear it at all once the drums start. as an aside, does anyone know where to get a replacement pickup for this bass, the pickup is a little too hot for my taste (I always play with vol. at 3/4 to avoid distorting my amp or my preamp)

Huh?

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:09 am

Try putting a clamp on the headstock, for mass. See if the problem note changes...