overheads....sm57's!!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Moze
audio school graduate

Re: overheads....sm57's!!!

Post by Moze » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:33 pm

I really like dynamics on some acoustics as well. The Sennheiser 409 works great...as well as the 57.

A few weeks ago I recorded a well known guitar player using a typical Neumann stereo setup...sounded fine. We decided to use a 57 for a "bluesy" slide overdub and damned if the thing didn't sound as good or better than the Neumanns.

I particularly like using dynamic mics on acoustic guitar when someone is singing and playing at the same time. You can really get some nice isolation going with the right positioning.

-moze

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:03 am

We decided to use a 57 for a "bluesy" slide overdub and damned if the thing didn't sound as good or better than the Neumanns.
Yeah...that's totally how I fell into using 'em on acoustic guitar. I had some guy doing an acoustic guitar "solo", i.e. single-note arpeggio stuff over the top of this mellow song, and so I stereo mic'ed him with some 57s, thinking that I was gonna give him some 'grit" or make it sound punkass or whatever.
Surprise, surprise...it just plain sounded REAL. Not lo-fi at all. It sounded like an acoustic guitar. That's all.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

drummerdan
gettin' sounds

Post by drummerdan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:48 pm

I honestly think you could probably get away with using a 57 on every single source on an entire record and make a kickass sounding record!

That's what I do, and i love it! 57 on everything (including vocals) and a superlux kick mic, which sounds better than a d112 in my head. I haven't looked at music catalog or gone gear shopping in about a year, and today I noticed the 57 went up $10 in all the catalogs. I guess other people agree: 57's fo life!

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:38 pm

I did a sampling session with a drummer a few years ago, I took 4 57's(kick, snare + 2OH), a Mackie 1202 and a DAT deck, set up his drums in the living room and recorded an hour of different beats. I still go back and plunder loops from this session. Mostly because he's a freaking awesome drummer (who is, sadly, not playing much anymore). But the tracks sound fine.