Holy crap! I love tape!!! 15ips RULES!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Re: Holy crap! I love tape!!! 15ips RULES!

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:17 am

Yeah...my VCR just has RCA left/right/video ins and likewise outs. I think that's the standard deal, right?

I guess the really scary audio geek thing to do would be to convert my VCR's ins/outs to balanced XLR. HAAAARRRRR HAAAARRRRR HAAAARRRRR!!!!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:38 am

So I suppose it's necessary to get a VCR with RCA ins on the back??
Most of them have rca ins / outs for audio and video on the back, but not all are stereo, which you may prefer. I'm guessing your stereo or buss out of the digital setup would feed the vcr (sp record mode), then back into the digital setup as 2 fresh tracks. Then the nudging to taste.

The good news is that since media giants like borders, etc. have decided that video is done (much in the same way that they declared vinyl 'over'), good vcr's can be had for real cheap.

Tom

edit: crosspost caldo71!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:46 am

joeysimms wrote:
So I suppose it's necessary to get a VCR with RCA ins on the back??
Most of them have rca ins / outs for audio and video on the back, but not all are stereo, which you may prefer. I'm guessing your stereo or buss out of the digital setup would feed the vcr (sp record mode), then back into the digital setup as 2 fresh tracks. Then the nudging to taste.

The good news is that since media giants like borders, etc. have decided that video is done (much in the same way that they declared vinyl 'over'), good vcr's can be had for real cheap.edit: crosspost caldo71!

Thanks Tom!

On that last point, that is definitely good news. Only the other week I bought a brand new VCR for ?40 (like what, I dunno, $70). Admitedly it's shite, but y'know. :)

Anyhow, on the issue of ins and outs, I see the scart out quite regularly (a kinda 16 pin thingy - I dunno, somthing like that). Also I have seen some VCRs have a scart in too. Add to this the fact that I have seen a scart lead that converts into l-r male rcas and I'm beginning to see how fun could be had here.

I know about the scart to rca converter leads 'cos I was wondering how to sample Shaft in Africa without micing up my portable telly's awesomely muffled and puny lil' speaker! :lol:

However I'm much less clear about how it would be possible to alter the level of the signal going in via the scart, in order to max-out the potential of some 1/8" analogue tape hell.

[threadjack]see last 4 words for manly attempt to steer post back on topic[\threadjack]
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:32 am

I'm not sure what half the things he just said meant (is that "English English?), but when I did the VCR thing, I piped the drums out of my DAW into my mixer before it hit the VCR, so I could clearly see what the levels were going into the VCR. I set those levels just a hair below totally overloaded trying to get some natural tape compression out of the VDR tape...which seemed to work very well.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:10 am

Caldo71 wrote:I'm not sure what half the things he just said meant (is that "English English?),
heh heh. But this scart lead - are these just European or something?? I dunno. Probably. I'm guessing that's where you became the most lost.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:03 pm

I've gotta try this VCR trick now. Thanks for the heads up.
I am wangtacular.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:15 pm

Wow, I take one day away and look what happens!

-mark

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:38 pm

back to reamping to a hi fi vcr... anyone know of a model with a recording level adjustment?

this one says it has audio level controls... this could be the ticket... it also says it has a built in limiter.. that might defeat the purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 91118&rd=1

could be cool..& theres enough for everyone

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:45 pm

My god, this thread is back from the dead. I'll try and look up my model # tonight if that helps. It does NOT have input level adjustment, though...that would save a lot of heartbreak.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:26 pm

That VCR trick is insane. A friend of mine was just telling me the other week about how he worked with a guy who did that to his hiphop home mixes.

I thought he was wrong, or insane or something. But lo and behold, here it is in the forums.

Worth a shot I suppose!

|<|>|

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:07 pm

i've not tried the VCR trick but i have done the mini-cassette recorder re-amp.. which is nuts as well.
that devil bastard protools

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:55 pm

I think I'm going to spring for the $195 duplicator vcr on ebay...could be cool...& well I'll always have a nice vcr.

I wrote the guy about the vcrs & this was the answer

The record levels for audio can be fully adjusted.
The Limiter is switchable from on to off.

AJ DeLizza
Video Systems Trading Co.
700 Corporate Circle
Suite: D
Golden Colorado 80401

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:40 pm

7.5 IPS, seriously, that's where I'm at.
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

todd aschoff
audio school graduate

Mix to tape

Post by todd aschoff » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:38 am

Tape heads, I've got 2 projects mixed to PT and here is where I am:
I am mastering it myself ( spare me the spanking) and each step I find I want to "smiley face" the eq - so either I'm being conservative, or that's the sound that is giving me depth through bouncing iterations. Interestingly, I now have the opportunity to bounce to R2r 1" tape (well, i'll take a cd burn into it). Not knowing what to expect - is there any EQ prep I should do to dig into the tape and get a fatter but not flat tape bounce? I am assuming that taking a cd with AIFF files is fine, not really going "out" of my digi 002. I'll get examples up soon,
but one project is cajun-zydeco with 2 honky tonk songs (think hank and lefty) where I really want to throw the sound back. www.tooloosecajunband.com

thanks
Todd

analogcat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analogcat » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:00 pm

hmmm, I must have bad info about VCRs

1) that they recorded digitally like DAT

2) that they record diagonally across the the tape, so how can you determine it's half?

But... I'm in on the lovefest for 456 and 15ips

I'm recording a live show this weekend: XY schoeps set on stage -- TLA PA-1 -- 2 track 1/4 inch

As for the digital world... it pays for the schoeps