fourtrack to computer=shit

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
patternagainstuser
alignin' 24-trk

Re: fourtrack to computer=shit

Post by patternagainstuser » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:34 pm

antilog wrote:All I meant was that I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest that he stop using software that has its programming integrity compromised.
not to pick on you, as the rest of your post was really helpful, but this part just isn't true. i've used a bunch of hacked versions of cool edit, and they're 100% stable. i don't know about hacks of other software, i've heard pro-tools hacks are not stable, but these hacked cool edit copies are what millions of people around the world are using to make some damn good music.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:46 am

cool edit is not made anymore. gone, finished. technically, adobe owns it, but they've just gutted it and renovated it into their program called audition, which costs a lot. i can't imagine that they thought the same people who downloaded cool edit for free would then buy audition. no, they bought (and shut down) cool edit to eliminate the competition. those of us who still want to use cool edit are forced to be illegal about it. i don't have a problem with that at all.

as a sidenote, i'm a big fan of adobe and their products, but this was a crappy thing to do to us.

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:47 am

cowtrax wrote:
midiot wrote:if all you have is the 1/8" jack going into your soundcard as a means of transfer, then try one track at a time from 4-track into the computer. Go from your 4-track out 1/4" to 1/8" on soundcard in. mute all channels or solo the single channel to go to the computer. repeat until complete. then mix away on the computer.
How do you propose to keep everything truely synced?

Start from the beginning on the first track
rewind, repeat, rewind repeat, rewind repeat

I've done this.

You may have to slide tracks over a bit here and there to get them lined up, but when it comes to working with what you have at the moment, it can work.
boom-ptch-boom

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:48 am

jajjguy wrote:cool edit is not made anymore. gone, finished. technically, adobe owns it, but they've just gutted it and renovated it into their program called audition, which costs a lot. i can't imagine that they thought the same people who downloaded cool edit for free would then buy audition. no, they bought (and shut down) cool edit to eliminate the competition. those of us who still want to use cool edit are forced to be illegal about it. i don't have a problem with that at all.

as a sidenote, i'm a big fan of adobe and their products, but this was a crappy thing to do to us.
I've used adobe audition. Am i missing something by not seeing it is exactly the same as when it was called cool edit pro?
boom-ptch-boom

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:01 am

Hi Chris..I will suggest an alternate route..invest in a hardware cd burner..typically these machines make better burns than computers..you wont loose as much quality as going into a computer with some crappy conversion..and the process will be more intuitive and productive because you wont have the option of doing a million stupid things with your songs on the computer..No worries of crashing..trial versions..hard drive gremlins or whatever..you can most likely figure out a way to mix right to it with the 4trk..like using aux sends or something..or come out of the "monitor out"..if your on a 4track there is no serious need to go into a computer..or at least I wouldnt find a real need to..

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:45 am

midiot wrote:
cowtrax wrote:
midiot wrote:if all you have is the 1/8" jack going into your soundcard as a means of transfer, then try one track at a time from 4-track into the computer. Go from your 4-track out 1/4" to 1/8" on soundcard in. mute all channels or solo the single channel to go to the computer. repeat until complete. then mix away on the computer.
How do you propose to keep everything truely synced?

Start from the beginning on the first track
rewind, repeat, rewind repeat, rewind repeat

I've done this.

You may have to slide tracks over a bit here and there to get them lined up, but when it comes to working with what you have at the moment, it can work.
Oh, I know flywheeling can work, but even a little drift can alter the feel of a performance... it was more about the concept of 'what if... you needed perfect sync?' :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.