Building A Vocal Booth - With Photo's (Need Your Advice)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Smooth Poetic
audio school

Building A Vocal Booth - With Photo's (Need Your Advice)

Post by Smooth Poetic » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi every one i have been checking out this message board for a while and reckon there is some great information on some post's . Anyways im Smooth Poetic and im an up and coming Emcee/(learning) Producer from Sydney, Australia.

The reason why i need you help is that i am building a vocal/recording booth in my garage out back and need to know if im moving in the right direction....there has been heaps of reasearch put into this project so i am just following my instinct or my jedi force.

here is the info :-

Room Size : 264 x 172 (2.6 x 172 metres)

Windows : There is a split beam or stud cause its need for extra support.....Window 1 : 89 x 110 and Window 2 : 79 x 110

Framing is on the corner wall is hard wood studs and the other small wall and window area is metal studs

There is thick special sound proofing insulation in the walls. its called sound screen i think ?...damn the **** was expensive.

The actual walls are 1.5 cm thick MDF or chipboard panels..what ever you call it.

here's a couple of photos to get an idea:

The Insulation

now what i was also worried about was that are the window sections to big ?
there gonna be done with lamnated glass with the inside window on an angel facing down with foam in between the gap

Plus what im gonna be adding to the walls is gyprock or sheet rock on top of the walls with a 1 cm gap inside for sound to be traped(small air space).The Booth will then be finished off with acoustic foam covering the walls and ceiling.

Well i guess thats about it for about now....your knowlegde and advice will be much apricated

Peace

Smooth Poetic
Hip hop is my everyday life. It's in my blood. If you was to cut my veins, a bunch of muisc notes and records would start pouring out, ya know? Its just my life.

-Grand Wizard Theodore

Smooth Poetic
audio school

Re: Building A Vocal Booth - With Photo's (Need Your Advice)

Post by Smooth Poetic » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:35 pm

come on....any one ?
Hip hop is my everyday life. It's in my blood. If you was to cut my veins, a bunch of muisc notes and records would start pouring out, ya know? Its just my life.

-Grand Wizard Theodore

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:37 pm

MC Sooth Poetic. Red Eye Records! :evil: Fuck your dad, suck his undies.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

daveaux
pluggin' in mics

Re: Building A Vocal Booth

Post by daveaux » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:00 pm

if you use double pane windows (you should) with airspace between the panes, it's be good if one pane is tilted so there's no parallel surface (less wave transfer). Use as thick as is practical.

G'Luck
Daveaux
N.O.LA

Smooth Poetic
audio school

Post by Smooth Poetic » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanx

-Grand Wizard Theodore

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:34 pm

You'll get shitloads of help over here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:57 pm

In my opinion, sound proofing is not the goal in a studio. The main goal I have is sound deadening. I try to use materials that cause there to be few reflections off of the walls. You can have a room so soundproof that a marshall stack will not be heard outside of it, and it be a room that sucks sonically, because the room is too live. The idea is to have surfaces in the room that break up sound rather than reflect sound. I made my vocal area very small, and as dead as I could get it, I want artificial ambiance, and as little wall reflection as I can get for vocals. It really works well for me, I really get some pretty in your face vocals that cut through the mix without being loud.

superpenguin79
audio school graduate

Post by superpenguin79 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:37 am

eskimo wrote:You'll get shitloads of help over here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
yep, good call... I was going to reccomend John's boards over there. Also, one alternative would be a company called clearsonic which is at clearsonic.com. For about a grand you can get a portable vocal booth to fit into your room. :) Good for people that don't own space atleast like if you are in an apartment, parents house..etc.... *shrugs*
please check out my site: www.charlienaebeck.com