Question on how to use outboard gear with AD-16X and MiniDAC

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
hmnp
pluggin' in mics

Question on how to use outboard gear with AD-16X and MiniDAC

Post by hmnp » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:16 am

Hi guys, hope you can help me with this one. I am posting this same psot on different forums so bare with me.

I just bought an Apogee AD-16X from Mercenary.com and Im planning on buying the Mini DAC so I can monitor with a high quality DA. My question...Is it possible to run a recorded track into and external (outboard) compressor or EQ using this setup or would need something else ?? How would I monitor thru this ??

Let say I recorded a clean, un proceesed bass track into my DAW using my preamp into my AD-16X. Can I then use the digital outs on the AD-16X into the Mini DAC and then run the analog out into the outboard equipment, and then the outputs of the analog equipment into my monitoring system ?? Doews this make any sense ?? Please help in any way that you guys can and thanks alot!!

JP

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Question on how to use outboard gear with AD-16X and Min

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:34 am

you need a multichannel dac to really take advantage of out of the box mixing..with the minidac your limited to 2 channels to mix and monitor..one work around would be commitment at the front end..

hmnp
pluggin' in mics

Re: Question on how to use outboard gear with AD-16X and Min

Post by hmnp » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:you need a multichannel dac to really take advantage of out of the box mixing..with the minidac your limited to 2 channels to mix and monitor..one work around would be commitment at the front end..
Its not too much about mixing outside the its more about processing the signal with outboard equipment. Thanks. Any one else ?