Tubulators are now $15...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Tubulators are now $15...

Post by inverseroom » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:33 am

...at Musician's Friend. Will this madness ever end? It won't be long before they're sending Arion pedals to us out of the blue, with $10 bills tucked into the box.

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Re: Tubulators are now $15...

Post by lifeintime » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:02 am

I'm in for 2 and I did pay.

What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:56 am

SAD-3's are down to $23
AND those cheap Artisan lap steel's are down to $59

Now everyone buy two immediately and discuss heavily.
Last edited by DryCounty on Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:42 am

Damnit, and I just ordered one of each like 4 days ago at the old prices. I invoked their 45 retroactive price matching policy, so we'll see if they credit me the difference. I mean, it's only like seven bucks, but hey... that's SEVEN BUCKS!

(I love cheap gear)

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:58 am

Dammit! I gotta stop spending money I don't have. :evil:

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:41 am

I know someone here was raving about the tubulator but before I get out the credit card and buy more shit I don't really need are they really worth it?

On a side note, I do really dig the SAD-3, so if anyone is still trying to decide if they should get one or not I highly recommend it. Its not a memory man but its only $23 and still damn cool (and not just because its only $23).

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:18 pm

Yes!!!

I was waiting like four months for them to drop from $25 to $20.

What's the skinny on the lap steel? That's crazy cheap.
Anybody have one?

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:17 pm

Speaking of... mine just showed up today. I think that's the fastest MF shipment I've ever received. Can't wait to play with them later!

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:29 pm

Some one actually made a piece of gear called a Tubulator, and it's only $15!? I take it it must not have any real tubes in it since the cheapest tubes i can find are $5. unless they get them out of that $1 box at C&H. :?

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:23 pm

I got the SAD-3, and I have to say I'm really not impressed. I got it for $30... and, I guess it sounds about as good as $30 should, but I guess I just can't imagine it being that useful on anything. My main problem with it is that the delay time range is just so small... you get either a short delay, or a really short delay.

Okay, maybe I'm just spoiled with my Moogerfooger analog delay... :wink:

But I would get an Effectron Junior over the SAD-3 any day. You can get them on eBay for anywhere from $25-50, and they sound way better. Sure, it's digital, but it has awesome modulation effects. Way more awesome than anything you can get by wrenching the cheap plastic time knob on the SAD-3.

Done with rant. Sorry about that.

-gabriel

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:58 pm

honkyjonk wrote:Yes!!!

I was waiting like four months for them to drop from $25 to $20.

What's the skinny on the lap steel? That's crazy cheap.
Anybody have one?
I haven't heard anyone on this list talk about them, but for $59 I figure it's worth the gamble.

Re: the Tubulator -- it's great, definitely. A bit more low end boom than my TS-808 but I like that about it. I'm the one you can flame if you're $15 pedal isn't worth it. I've been raving about them on here for a while and thought that they were a steal at $29. I'm no connoseiur of boutique overdrive, but this is very close to my 808 which cost many times this price.

Re: SAD-3 yeah I was dissapointed as well at such an insanely short delay time, but there was a post on here somewhere about going in and adjusting one of the internal controls and being able to fuck with it a bit more. Haven't done it yet to mine.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:03 pm

DryCounty wrote:Re: SAD-3 yeah I was dissapointed as well at such an insanely short delay time, but there was a post on here somewhere about going in and adjusting one of the internal controls and being able to fuck with it a bit more. Haven't done it yet to mine.
Thanks for the tip - I just checked that post out, I'll definitely give it a try and see how it works. One of the great things about the Moogerfooger analog delay (one of the many great things) is that you can plug in a foot pedal to vary the delay time. Great for performance!

-gabriel

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:03 pm

I got one of those Artisan Lap Steels for X-mas. I think my wife bought it at the $80 price point. (When I put it on my Amazon list it was $100).

These are definitely worth $60 if you want to get a feel for lap steel. They are noisy and they drift out of tune without much effort. The steel bar you'll need to play it with will run you $15 at MF, so don't forget to buy one.

If you just wanted to drop some Hawaiian style chords into a tune, or some slide blues-y touches that were going to be in the background, then this is a decent buy. If you want to gig with it, forget about it.

I was considering replacing the pickup, then I realized by the time I got this up to snuff, I could have dropped $225 on a decent one....

Now you know. ;-)

-TimT
Post-Punk Power Pop
Popstar Assassins
http://www.popstarassassins.com/

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:52 am

gabriel wrote:Thanks for the tip - I just checked that post out, I'll definitely give it a try and see how it works. One of the great things about the Moogerfooger analog delay (one of the many great things) is that you can plug in a foot pedal to vary the delay time. Great for performance!

-gabriel
Yeah those Moogerfoogers just suck, don't they?? The only time I've seen one is this past fall. The owner of the pedal worked at Moog and was going to let me borrow it, but after debating how depressed I'd be after giving it back I decided against it.
-----
Tulsa Drone

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:09 am

Yep, the worst thing is that they're addictive and soon you find yourself with four of them and no money for rent...