Best board for 16-track R2R under 2 grand?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Best board for 16-track R2R under 2 grand?

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:30 pm

I'm looking for a new analog board to feed my 16 track setup. New or used, under 2 grand. Current board is 16+16x8x2 which is the right size but it's a noisy board that is starting to crap out. Rather than fixing it, I want to put my money into a different board. Fifties thru 70's sounds are where I'm at. Sound is more important than features. No automation needed. Recommendations?
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Re: Best board for 16-track R2R under 2 grand?

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:51 pm

id have to recomend trying to find an old soundworkshop...but thats just me.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:49 pm

knights-

I now have the most awesome console in the inverse (ask garges). Before that, I had a soundcraft ghost, which was a total piece of shit mechanically. If you can find one for 2 grand, it woudl be an excellent value I think. Im mastering a record right now which has one track mixed on the ghost and the rest mixed on the most awesome console in the universe, the difference is definitely noticable, but its not all together horrifying either, all the songs have continuity. If you know what you are doing, you can make a really nice mix up to a point with a ghost, but it really is a piece of shit and I'll stress that, but it can be made to sound nice with a little effort. Expect the worst possible support humanly possible from soundcraft if you get one as well. All the negatives said, for $2k, if you can find one used, without the computer, its a great value. There are probably other options out there that others will chime in with, but if you come across a ghost in your price range, its worthy of consideration at the very least. The FET muting on the ghost so completely rules its wrong, I really really really miss it.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:47 am

FRIZEYED wrote:id have to recomend trying to find an old soundworkshop...but thats just me.

I'll second that one.
I am on a limited budget myself, but have had a Series 20 for a few years now.
It sounds so warm & fat plus it's an easy board to work on.
So you can customize it & recap it for even better sound.

I use mine in conjunction with a 1" tape machine, makes GREAT recordings.,

For the money it is really tough to beat.

I was recently going to sell mine & move to a smaller mixer, but so far I can't beat it soundwise & EQ wise, least not without spending significantly more.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:32 pm

i'd investigate soundtracs boards. i have an MR which i dont think is ideal simply because of the routing/not inline - i make it work for me, but if you could find a soundtracs pc midi it would be really awesome.

http://www.studiosys.demon.co.uk/mrx_+pc_midi.htm

i love everything else about the MR though.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:28 pm

There's a Dynamix console on ebay right now. Total sleeper of a desk. Warm british tone. Good for the $$$.

Also I will throw in Soundworkshop as an excellent choice. I had a SW series 30 and a Stephens 24 track & damn if that wasn't some of the best stuff I ever recorded.