MIXING WITH A MOUSE...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
elloweez
gimme a little kick & snare

MIXING WITH A MOUSE...

Post by elloweez » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:55 pm

MIXING WITH A MOUSE IS LIKE TAKING A SHIT IN THE BATHTUB. Thats all i have to say.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Re: MIXING WITH A MOUSE...

Post by meblumen » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:13 pm

Um......yeah what he said. Except for the longest time I didn't have a controller so I got kinda used to it and although I would take a real mixer or atleast a controller any day of the week over using a mouse I think its one of those things that really suck but if you do it enough it doesn't seem nearly as bad as say... I dunno having to deal with a drummer who already can barely keep a beat and when he does show up to practice depending on what hes on who knows what beats hes gonna throw down. SOrry, just blowing off steam. ANyways, mixing with a mouse is not fun.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:49 pm

is this a statement about disney?

dave

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:13 am

So...

What your saying is you can't miss?

Martin

rafter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rafter » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:11 am

once i got used to it, i loved it. i am very comfortable mixing just w/a mouse now. i still like busting out the real live faders n panpot mixes every now and then, but for the most part i work w/my mouse and all i regret is
carpal tunnel. ha ha! 8 + hours a day for the last 5 years has made it really easy for me. plus i love shitting in the tub. all you have to do is take a quick shower afterwards. :oops:

chriss
audio school graduate

Post by chriss » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:30 am

I actually like mixing with a mouse better. Vector editing is faster then fader mixing any day!

howiemarx
gettin' sounds

Post by howiemarx » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:53 am

kill the mice.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:08 am

Interesting comment.

"mixing with a mouse is like shitting in the tub."

I was waiting for someone to finally prove, through careful research, that all the albums I have done with protools should be ripped from the shelves and fired into space. Banished from the earth for all eternity, so people in the future never have to deal with the horror of being confronted by something recorded by such an infernal machine. (not the publison one...)

Thank you, kind sir, for your words of wisdom.

Could you please post your research data for us luddites?
I want to see your observations during your shit bath, and how they compared to using a machine made for recording music.

With no data to back up your claim, I would have to simply assume you are a jerkoff.

On behalf of people making good music everywhere,

Thank you for your submission, you will be duly ignored.

elloweez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by elloweez » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:44 am

Hey, Joel man lighten the fuck up... i was not insulting anyones music! I was just stating an opinion. In fact, my opinion comes from my personal experience as i was just finishing up mixing on PROTOOLS with a MOUSE when i wrote that. I use a mouse all the time and just dont dig it thats all. This is NOT a statement about digital versus anolog or any of that crap, as i use BOTH and a perfectly happy with that. I was just trying to see if anybody agreed with me while trying to add a little humour. So go cry to someone who cares Because i aint listening. Anyways my ideal mixing setup would be one of those consoles that has those MAGIC faders that can mix the music for you. Sorry if i pissed anyone off as that was NOT my intention here.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:12 pm

elloweez,
I don't think anyone who woke up without a hangover this morning was pissed off. It's amazing how offended people get at the most harmless comments... You can never tell, so don't sweat it.

I'm reminded of a local talk radio program that once did a piece on snowmobiles. The guy's who do the show are kinda wise-asses, so they were cracking jokes and whatnot about snowmobiles. The next day, they get a letter from a pissed off listener who swears she will never listen to the show again. Why? Her husband was killed by a snowmobile and she was offended by their jokes. (!)

Maybe Joel just misunderstood you; he usually seems pretty cool. I'm not sure how you are supposed to back up the opinion that mixing with a mouse is like taking a shit in the bathtub with data. How do you do that? -Well, I took a shit in the bathtub and it gave me carpal-tunnel syndrome, too... It's just a crazy thing to ask for.

BTW, I am an avid fan of computer-based recording, and every time I mix I miss the feel of my hands on the faders.

howiemarx
gettin' sounds

Post by howiemarx » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:32 pm

someone is alittle defensive. perhaps the frustration is from mouse mixing.

Heath
audio school graduate

Post by Heath » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:51 pm

i really must buy a control surface one of these days.... :wink:

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:20 pm

They both get the job done right? but one way doesn't make much sense
and I wouldn't recomend it....but like I said they both get the job done!

The reason mixing with a mouse doesn't make much sense is:
Becasue I can only controll ONE damn fadder at a time - If I was using a board I could be controlling as many as 8 faders if I wanted to. It really makes for a slower process and it gets frustrating.

I am somewhat new to mouse mixing - but I think I would rather get a controll interface that works with PROTOOLS (any suggestions?).

Something about moving a fader up and down with my hands as opposed to a mouse seems a lot smoother and accurate to me...maybe I need more practice. But the biggest complaint is the lack of being able to do more than one thing at a time.

Maybe if a practice shitting in my tub some more I will never have to flush my toilet again!

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:22 pm

Dude,

Did you mean shitting a mouse in the bath tub??

Now, that's just crazy... and what has that got to do with pro tools any ways?

M

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:23 pm

loudmusic: Are you for real? You really don't get it do you?