tall rackspaces

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

tall rackspaces

Post by wing » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:39 am

i have this big furry carpeted (around the outside) 15 space rackspace unit from grundorf, and it's good and all, but i've been basically stacking gear on top as i've been out spaces a long time. what i'd like the most is one of those long tall units, but perhaps one of the simpler ones-- i'm not wanting to pay for some fancy oak wood stuff, doesn't need to be all attractive or anything, just needs to hold gear well.

and by tall, i don't mean a floor to ceiling type unit, i mean probably 4-5 ft tall.

also, i would like a smaller tabletop unit, maybe 4 rackspaces, to put on a desk by the computer for some more gear.

so what should i look out for? does anyone have anything they wish to sell? i'm open for trades on this grundorf, it's very nice, just not enough spaces for my needs. 15 rackspaces, and i'm probably going to need almost double that. i'm not sure.

otherwise just let me know what brands/types to look out for, and how much i should expect to spend.

Al
moves faders with mind

Re: tall rackspaces

Post by Al » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:28 am

bluepxl wrote:i have this big furry carpeted (around the outside) 15 space rackspace unit from grundorf, and it's good and all, but i've been basically stacking gear on top as i've been out spaces a long time. what i'd like the most is one of those long tall units, but perhaps one of the simpler ones-- i'm not wanting to pay for some fancy oak wood stuff, doesn't need to be all attractive or anything, just needs to hold gear well.

and by tall, i don't mean a floor to ceiling type unit, i mean probably 4-5 ft tall.

also, i would like a smaller tabletop unit, maybe 4 rackspaces, to put on a desk by the computer for some more gear.

so what should i look out for? does anyone have anything they wish to sell? i'm open for trades on this grundorf, it's very nice, just not enough spaces for my needs. 15 rackspaces, and i'm probably going to need almost double that. i'm not sure.

otherwise just let me know what brands/types to look out for, and how much i should expect to spend.

You can by the rack frame material, and build your own wooden case around it, save a bit money, if you cant be arsed going to these lengths?, they can be quite expensive already made up...a bit o D.I.Y. perhaps blue??

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:32 am

yeah man build a wood box to your size needs..install the rack hardware..carpet the wood box with medium long muppet fur and your shag-a-delic!

Wally Heider
studio intern

Post by Wally Heider » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:31 am

its not to hard to find surplus racks if you look in used compurter stures that deal with mainframe computers

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jerrymac » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:03 am

if you do get one that is computer surplus, just make sure that it fits 19" rack equipment across the rails, and not one of those wider ( i think it's 23? it is wider than 19 inches. possibly they are 21"?) server/telecom racks.
The people that I'm currently doing some work for had this happen recently.

jerry

(edited because my last sentance didn't make any sense when I re-read it.)

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:23 am

I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS A TALL RACK AVAILABLE. Probably for free of cheap.

I haven't seen it, but it seems from his description that it's one of those "back room computer setup" racks with a glass door on the front I think.

PM me if you're interested, especially if you're in the New England area.

Roger

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:47 am

those computer surplus ones sound good, but aren't they like only like half a foot deep? would they be able to support mass amounts of different sized/weighted gear?

for example...

isn't the depth just too small to handle large gear that will be different lengths and weights?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:15 am

bluepxl wrote:those computer surplus ones sound good, but aren't they like only like half a foot deep? isn't the depth just too small to handle large gear that will be different lengths and weights?
The depth doesn't really have anything to do with it. If you look at the images you posted, you can see that they are meant to be bolted to the floor. A rack full of servers is generally going to be a hell of a lot heavier than a rack of audio equipment.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:18 am

rhythm ranch wrote:
bluepxl wrote:those computer surplus ones sound good, but aren't they like only like half a foot deep? isn't the depth just too small to handle large gear that will be different lengths and weights?
The depth doesn't really have anything to do with it. If you look at the images you posted, you can see that they are meant to be bolted to the floor. A rack full of servers is generally going to be a hell of a lot heavier than a rack of audio equipment.
ah, well, i can't bolt to the floor, if that is necessary...

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:16 am

Blue, I would imagine that in Houston, with both NASA and Texas Instruments around, there has to be a couple of electronics surplus places around. You know the kind...dusty, with that burned insulation-meets-overheated electric motor smell, probably with a yard out back full of used equipment racks. I have been able to find one of these places in almost every city I've lived in...(with the exception of Miami, for some reason)

Anyway, you can get racks of varying ages and sizes pretty cheap at places like that. You could also probably come up with an HP dual trace scope, an HP200CD tone oscillator and some of the other goodies you need.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:25 am

I've got a 20 space raxxess economy woodgrain rack that I'm trying to sell. I'm not sure how much shipping from MI to TX would be, but if you're interested...

moogrocker
gettin' sounds

Post by moogrocker » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:23 am

After looking around at prices on this stuff I built up a pair of 12 space racks a couple years ago with the total materials costing about 30 bucks a rack. Just choped up some wood and put it together, then covered them with this cheap pseudo leather fabric stuff I got at walmart or something. You wouldn't beleive the complements I've gotten from other engineers that come in the studio....always asking me where I bought them from.

So go ahead, save some cash, and build them yourself, it'll help give your control room some flare.

Sorry for the ungodly huge size of this blurry picture.....my photoshop is no more:(

John

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:18 pm

Hey Jonathan,

You might not be at all interested in something like this, but this is the cheapest version of this sort of thing that I've been able to find and it looks pretty cool. The company's website is listed there on the auction. They have these on ebay all the time, so it's not just a one-time thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=23789

Chris

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:01 pm

I would think you could build one for way cheaper.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:25 am

cgarges wrote:Hey Jonathan,

You might not be at all interested in something like this, but this is the cheapest version of this sort of thing that I've been able to find and it looks pretty cool. The company's website is listed there on the auction. They have these on ebay all the time, so it's not just a one-time thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=23789

Chris
that's actually EXACTLY what my current grundorf rack is! like i said, i need something with maybe double the spaces (30 or so) and much taller. thanks though. :)