Really good mastering

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
sad iron
tinnitus

Re: Really good mastering

Post by sad iron » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:24 am

Emily's got my EP down there @ the Lodge right now and I am supposed to be getting it back real soon. I can hardly wait. And yeah, they are pricey, but the are also super cool and willing to work with you to getyour stuff done. I have never had a better experience w/ a mastering house. I'll let you know how the final product turns out.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:30 am

cgarges wrote:I'd automatically make Fishbach the best guy you can afford. If you're happy with his work, there's no reason to change and it's good to develop a relationship like that. Like I said, there are some jerk-asses even further up in the price realm. The aforementioned clients basically wasted $1500 on a pair of plastic coasters.
yeah, i thought about that after i posted, you're completely right.

but it leads me to another question, are certain mastering guys better for different types of music? i would imagine they would be.

but yeah, he's definitely getting more buisness from me. nice guy too.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

the-cruel
pluggin' in mics

Emily Lazar

Post by the-cruel » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:55 am

Emily mastered my buddy's record - The Grassy Knoll "Short Stories". I think it sounds great.
A good song transcends bad gear.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:11 am

"are there better mastering people for different types of music???"

Of course!

That is why, and how I would choose someone to do a record.

I would work with people who understand the end result that is required. Some ppeople have a broader range of understanding, some seem to "specialize" or at least get pigeon holed by circumstance...

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:40 pm

Can anyone reccomend some names and rates (because I already see a number of names here, but no rates--cheap is a very relative term :shock: ) for mastering? Most of my stuff is folkier, built around acoustic guitars, pianos and field recordings. The album is close to an hour, though, which I'm sure will effect things, but again, any reccomendations?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm new to the mastering end of things.
I am wangtacular.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:45 pm

Bear wrote:Can anyone reccomend some names and rates (because I already see a number of names here, but no rates--cheap is a very relative term :shock: ) for mastering? Most of my stuff is folkier, built around acoustic guitars, pianos and field recordings. The album is close to an hour, though, which I'm sure will effect things, but again, any reccomendations?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm new to the mastering end of things.
Gavin Lurssen at the Mastering Lab in Hollywood would be recommended for folk/acoustic- he did win a Grammy for the 'O brother where art thou' soundtrack.

http://www.themasteringlab.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:46 pm

Doug henderson at Micro moose just did 2 albums for me and they both sound great. He has amazing ears and great gear!

He is around (dont hold me to this) 350-500 dollars for a full album.

The place I was talking about above was 5000 dollars for the day (attended).

PM me for doug's email address.

-Joel

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:19 pm

fishbach cut us a "deal", i think it was ~$300 for around forty minutes of music.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:08 pm

Thanks for the direction, folks. And I'll Pm you, Joel.
I am wangtacular.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:50 pm

aurelialuz wrote:but it leads me to another question, are certain mastering guys better for different types of music? i would imagine they would be.
alex
Sure. Everybody's got their own tastes and asthetics, just like anything else.

Hoyt Dooley, III at Open Door Productions in Nashville is fantastic. He typically charges $300 for good-sounding, simple, no fixing or other BS-type projects that aren't like 70 minutes of music. I've had a few projects go slightly over that and a couple that went up towards $600. Worth every penny. And almost everything I've sent him has returned to me inside of a week. Hoyt is really good at sort of clearing things up a bit and making the depth and dimension apparent.

Dave Harris at Studio B here in Charlotte advertises in Tape Op and does a terrific job as well. He charges by the hour instead of having a flat starting fee, but most of the things I've sent to him have come in at around $300-$400. He's real aware of poeple's budget and does a good job within the client's restrictions. He did just have Russ Berger design him a beautiful new space, so I think at the beginning of the year his rates are going up a bit, but I can't wait to take a project over there to hear it in his new space on his new Dunlevys. Dave is really good at transparent mastering and making subtle tweaks to really retain the character of the original mixes. He also has high-speed duplicators and can do small run duplication at a reasonable price.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:24 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:We were only listening to track 1 I believe. Emily doesnt "crush the shit out of" anything.
comfort woman is absolutely the jam of the week. 4 weeks running.
i realize you all waited with baited breath for that one...

any mixing with aim to sound the same... well... i think the CD sounds like overprocessed overloud stuffy no headroom CRAP . maybe it left the mixing studio that way, maybe not... but i Do hope that yr mix gets to radiate the same kinds of + energy.

despite the 3.5db dynamic range i will be jammin the new meshell for the next 4 wks guaranteed. it will be turned waay the hell Down.

otherwise:
john Golden? anyone?
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:15 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:...as the thing I mixed (a group called "beetroot") is an amazing R&B/deep groove/dub type thing.
Oh sh*t... Joel, if I'd known that was you at the Lodge, I'da said howdy with double-fives. That was me working w/ Drew and SK on our plan to dominate the world (WMFDM)... I exchanged quick hellos with two of your crew at the end of the day when I was leaving w/ Em and Drew (and both Fiona and I were geeking on our WiFi PDAs.)

Were you the one wearing the black polypro ziptee w/ thumbhole sleeves?

And while we're talking mastering engineers...

My fave is Jeff Lipton at Peerless Mastering:

http://www.peerlessmastering.com/

Jeff uses some pretty unique thinking to get results that are way beyond my (high) expectations. He's got the most accurate control room I've ever heard. And he's affordable.

Madness
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Madness » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:57 am

I've used a few mastering engineers over the years- Doug Sax, Hank Williams, Ken Love. Buddy Miller mastered a record for me a few years back when I needed a favor- even though he's not a true mastering guy, he did a great job and made me look good.

The 'go to guy' for my work has become Jim DeMain @ Yes Master in Nashville. He uses 2 rates- a major label rate and an indie rate. I've brought most of my work to him in the last few years and have never been disappointed.

Jim is a gracious person and never 'above' the music I bring him. I can't recommend him highly enough.
Peace
Phil

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:28 pm

Andy:

I only came in for a couple of hours. Jason and Fiona are in the band, and were there all day. Me, and my partner tony maimone, and our assistant steve stopped by for a while.

I ate lots of snacks, then felt sick in the cab back to brooklyn...

When were you there???

Fiona and Jason are awesome.

-Joel

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:35 am

From 9am til 11pm, with two quick trips out for meetings elsewhere. When you first walked in, I was inside the lounge (where the diner booth is) w/ Drew and Scott, and then Scott walked out to talk to you guys in the reception area.