College radio near you

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Re: College radio near you

Post by discs of tron » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:22 pm

i know you're not supposed to say anything if you don't have something nice to say, but...

the college radio in western mass has turned to complete shite in recent years. growing up, wmua (umass) was on some next shit. vanguard style. there used to be this show called turpsichorian cacophony that was the jam. i think that guy recently put together a series of comps for rhino. anyhow, that was pretty much how you heard good stuff whilst living in a pretty small suburban butt-land. also, smith's station (wozq) used to be really solid. now, the situation is laughable except that it's so tragic. on wmua now, there's this show that comes on and they have their own little station id: "power 91!!!" with the reverbed out tractor-pull-announcer voice and everything. and they're not being ironic. and then they proceed to play basically a tamer version of a playlist from any generic clearchannel station. what the hell is wrong with the kids these days? if i had any time whatsoever i'd go over there and try to get my own show.

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:41 am

Could we revive this thread? I always find this extremely useful, and I want more!

In Los Angeles, I have to give some lovin' to Fred & Devin of Demolisten on KXLU and Anne Litt of Weekend Becomes Eclectic on KCRW. BOth shows have been great & supportive about playing my band's music.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:39 am

WERS 88.9FM in Boston from Emerson College is amazing. They play everything imaginable. Folk in the morning, jazz in the early afternoon, world in the late afternoon, then rap and techno. But the weekend is amazing for indie rock all they play from 8pm-2am is indie rock of most genres. My bands get airplay on that show all the time...

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:06 am

KEXP in Seattle is the best station.
And, you can stream a full fidelity version. kexp.org

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:17 am

WFMU (located in Jersey, but can be received where I live via a translator)

WVKR, Vassar College.

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:24 am

WRMC 91.1 FM Middlebury, VT!!!

(I must confess, though, that I am the general manager.)

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:05 pm

In Miami, the only radio station worth listening to is WVUM 90.5 fm. It is the University of Miami's station. You can check out their playlists at www.wvum.org
All the other stations in and aournd here suck but that makes it a little less irritating to live in this city.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:21 pm

Yeah, ERS rocks.

Also WMBR @ MIT. Late Riser's Club still going strong.

Cephallus
gettin' sounds

Post by Cephallus » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:44 pm

You'd think that with so many colleges and a huge, diverse market, that radio around Los Angeles wouldn't suck so freaking bad.

KXLU is cool, I love Bonnie Barnett's show (before that, she was on KPFK), very experimental.

I live 20 miles ne of LA, so I also get KSPC from the Claremont Colleges. If you can ignore the, "Uhh...ok...like...this track is from Manhole Steamshovel...it's pretty...like...awesome..." 19 year old DJ's, it's cool music.

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CabreeToe » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:46 pm

KRTU 91.7FM Trinity University Radio (even though its funded mostly buy the DJ's parents)

And KSYM 90.1 FM San Antonio College Radio. (Publicly Funded) has a little more punk to it. Maybe a little too much.

KRTU has a better altervative scene after 10pm

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:12 am

WCSB 89.3 Cleveland State.
WRUW 91.1 Case Western.

CSB is much, much better...but Case is ok too - a little too wanna be...CSB is really like a community radio station. You hear DJ's passionate about their music and or talk subjects...it's killer.

Mike

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:25 am

KUT 90.5 University of Texas
KVRX 91.7 University of Texas Students
KOOP 91.7 Austin Community Radio

these last two share the dial. Austin Citizens during the day, UT students at night. this is basically all I listen to. no commercials all of time. or as the students say, "None of the hits, all of the time..."

craigloom
gettin' sounds

Post by craigloom » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:07 am

In a wasteland of homogenized whitebread radio, WTJU of central VA (UVa's station in charlottesville -- where a couple of Pavement dudes were once DJs, I believe) is a godsend. Plays all kinds of music. Great indie rock, soul and alt country shows. However, usually I'll tune into internet radio when I'm at home doing other things. All kinds of stations playing music and shows below the radar. Anybody else do the live365 thing? The "psychedelic web of sound" station is my favorite.

And a shout out for WERS. Emerson College, my alma! I sure miss ya... Seriously, MIT's WMBR was my favorite in Boston when I lived there. Plus, they were the only station in the city to actually air stuff I played on. :wink:

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:51 am

No votes for WZBC (90.3) or WMBR (88.1) boston? I haven't lived there for a few years now, but they were always my faves. WZBC might be responsible for my general bias toward weird experimental music. WMBR had two really good morning rock shows and a great live-in-the-studio series ("Pipeline").

More recently, it's been WFMU Jersey City all the way. Currently, in the Albany area, it's nothing... :(

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:12 am

WMPG 90.9 Portland, ME- no playlist, no rotation, just lots of really cool music.

As others have mentioned, WFMU in NJ is the bomb. Do they webcast? If not, they should.

I was going to trash WKNC, 88.1 Raleigh, NC, except they played a non-album live version of "Kick Out The Jams" this morning. KNC used to be, hands down, the absolute worst college radio station I have ever heard- all extreme metal, all the time. That cookie monster shit is funny for a few minures, but it gets old FAST. They've improved a lot, but NC State just doesn't have the core of serious music geeks you need to have a good college station, like Duke (WXDU 88.7) and Carolina (WXYC 89.3) do.

And a shout-out to my alma matter, WSGR, Athens, OH- anybody ever heard of a carrier current station? Such were the joys!