witnessing a recording session

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Re: witnessing a recording session

Post by CabreeToe » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:37 pm

What about Mothers of Invention. "Hot Rats", or "Freak Out"

Or at least at the Zappa session for the song "Sleep Dirt"

But MOST of all Zappa's "Yellow Shark"

plus watching the Dust Brothers work on anything.

matter
studio intern

Post by matter » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:41 pm

RadioHead Kid A because of the analog concept. Mr. Bungle because John Zorn is insane and everyone used aliases in the credits. Then maybe Aerial Boundaries or B'fast in the Field...Hedges y'now.

Deadtide.com
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Deadtide.com » Sat May 01, 2004 8:26 am

And now for something completely different:

Sepultura, "Roots" : Heavy metal meets Brazilian percussion and one the biggest, filthiest productions I've ever heard.

Tom Waits, "Bone Machine" If only to see him build the rhythm section of "Earth Died Screaming".

Paul Simon, "Graceland" Not only is the music fantastic, but I'd like to see what bonehead took all those beautiful arrangements and smooshed them into a more or less mono recording.

Metallica, "...and Justice for All" I read something this session being one of the most tedious, torturous recording processes ever forced upon a rock band and it would be fun to watch Lars suffer.

Morbid Angel, "Blessed are the Sick" One of the most perfect death metal albums ever, triggers and all. And you know Trey was high out of his mind when he recorded his solos...

Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Cosmos Factory" "Seven thirty seven coming' outta the sky..."

Aretha Franklin, "I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You" Who wouldn't want to see Aretha at the top of her game?

Marvin Gaye, "What's Goin' On" I don't know why but it makes me wanna holler...

Megadeth, "Rust in Peace" Dave was kicking heroin, writing the fastest, most challenging music of his career, and surrounded by musicians that could actually keep up.

Motley Crue, "Shout at the Devil" I shouldn't have to explain why this would be fun session to watch :D

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat May 01, 2004 4:29 pm

CabreeToe wrote:What about Mothers of Invention. "Hot Rats", or "Freak Out"

Or at least at the Zappa session for the song "Sleep Dirt"

But MOST of all Zappa's "Yellow Shark"

plus watching the Dust Brothers work on anything.
Yeah, Hot Rats'd be a great one to have been at, i'd love to have seen that build up, sugarcane harris doing his thing and FZ dealing with beefheart (and vice versa). Yellow Shark was live, though i have a pretty fair video of some of the rehearsals etc which are of some interest. Anyone hear the FZ stuff at the Proms in '97? The Ensemble Modern did a smashing version of 'Moggio'. Zappatastic!

...did i really just type that?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat May 01, 2004 4:32 pm

muxlow wrote:Marvin Gaye, "What's Goin' On" I don't know why but it makes me wanna holler...
...Throw up both my hands...

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat May 01, 2004 4:55 pm

soundguy wrote:The ultimate fantasy however, without a doubt, would have to be Monstermagnet Tab
dave
I just had to say how much i used to obsess over that record, it's evil as hell and then swooshy and beautiful. Thanks for making me want to dig it out again.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat May 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Yeah, and (posting a lot here i know but i got a bit excited) any RVG session, are there any books/ sites/ anything that can you let you in on his techniques? I'm not holding my breath...

rigsbysmith.com

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Sat May 01, 2004 7:38 pm

Edit.
Last edited by Echos Myron on Sun May 02, 2004 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

erroneous
pluggin' in mics

Post by erroneous » Sat May 01, 2004 8:25 pm

john coltrane & johnny hartmann, 1963. so beautiful. so masterful and calm. ah, to sit in the control room and see the reels turn...

also, i gotta second the CCR. underrated... underrated... even the classic rock chestnuts that we've all heard too many times, still tear speakers to shreds, and listening to the full albums is a voyage into punk rock humility. not many bands have ever rocked so hard, so consistently.

and, the Monks. Black Monk Time.
..i've found something no one else is looking for..

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sun May 02, 2004 7:34 am

U2- Joshua Tree

U2- Actung Baby

My band that I recorded and I love the way it sounded....I just cant remember how I got the sounds?

neemer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by neemer » Mon May 03, 2004 5:00 pm

pet sounds, kind of blue, loveless, revolver.

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Mon May 03, 2004 5:26 pm

way back on page 1 or 2 someone said "I don't know about sitting in on Loveless. That would've been painful."

..man I agree.. I listen to it every once in awhile just so I remember it exists but I have a hard time with it...makes me so seasick. Hearing is a few hundred times in the studio would have driven me nuts.

I'd love to have been at some Kyuss sessions. Or hang with Chris Goss for any of the Masters of reality albums. Qotsa...stoner rock sessions sounds like fun to me.

neemer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by neemer » Mon May 03, 2004 5:45 pm

i remember playing loveless for someone. she said, "wes, i think your tape is dragging." "uhhh, it's a cd...." lol
i don't know. i can see your point, but i'd like to have watched kevin and co spend a half a million or however much they did. heh but i think the mixing would have been more interesting than the recording.....
-wes

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Mon May 03, 2004 6:19 pm

I have two that would in my opinion have been absolutely fascinating. First is one of the early Moody Blues albums where they played all the exotic instruments. Those guys created some of the most interesting and beautiful music of all time, and played some (at the time ) pretty obscure instruments just by picking them up and figuring them out on the spot.
My second choice would be Dark Side Of The Moon, because, it was one of the early examples of musicians in control (rather than record executives dictating "art" to them), using mixing and editing as part of the creative process. If you listen to Dark Side, it is plain that Mr Gilmore considered the production/engineering part of the album to be another instrument, not just a by the book function.

mdmania
pluggin' in mics

Post by mdmania » Tue May 04, 2004 2:23 pm

Mine would be:

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band
Revolver
Abbey Road
Any Led Zeppelin session
Van Halen
Without Music, Life Is a Journey Through a desert.