"Wall of Sound"

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bert
gettin' sounds

Re: "Wall of Sound"

Post by bert » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:12 am

my song that i posted the link to on the mp3 page has 12 rhythm guitar tracks playing the same riff all the way through. that's not including the noodling and the leads which were all only doubled. I was going for a MBV sound. listen to it and tell me what you think.

song

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:59 am

The key to the "Wall" isn't the amount of overdubs you can track, but sort of using the microphone as your "acoustical" summing buss......er, hope that makes sense...

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:27 am

too many overdubs can make the wall of sound come crashing down.

(HA! i rhymed...)

i like to do 2 overdubs of rhythm guitar, but each one of those takes is going to at least 2 different amps/cab combinations that way you have 3 performances, but 8 or 9 tracks of guitar tones to work with.

getting the panning right is key.

sometimes its reallly cool to record the guitarist playing one string at a time on those bottom three strings of the chord. its amazing how much clarity that can give.

and the bleed from the drum mics is AWESOME. dont fear the bleed! just make sure you've got an awesome guitarist and drummer that can actually do perfect takes (even if they need 20 tries, just as a long as 1 of them has no noticeable mistakes).