Hail to the thief

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: Hail to the thief

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:39 pm

As far as an extensive internet search could tell, the new Radiohead was mastered at Abbey Road, a place usually known for impeccable mastering work. IMO the new album is pretty darn good, and I'm always excited to hear a new Radiohead/Godrich production. The new Grandaddy is darn good too. As is the new (old) Burning Spear dub CD, Original Living Dub Vol.1!

I guess my point is you can get all wrapped up in this shit but listening to a lot of different music is fun. I swear!

I'm in the middle of ripping Cds to MP3 for my iBook before travelling. This is the first time I've ever done this and it's kinda making me excited about what I want to listen to. It's good to be excited about music for one. That plus some days off helped!
Larry

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:45 am

I like it. It sounds good to me. They aren't breaking new ground like with OK Computer or Kid A but let's be fair. How many times can the same band reinvent the wheel? Twice is damn good. And kudos to Radiohead for daring to make something out of the ordinary with their musical contributions. Yes, "Creep" wasn't a very good song but at least they've moved on. That's more than I can say for some bands (Metallica?)

Radiohead write their own songs, play their own instruments, and push the envelope of popular music. What more could you ask for?

Shawn

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:29 am

I thought Creep was ace! Seems I'm alone :cry:

Sure the lyrics are pretty shite - the first time you grin, the second time you grimace, the thrid time all the 'cool' 'irony' evporates leaving behind embarassment. But come on! Lyrics aside, those 4 chords in the verse are great, esp. with the vocal tune. And then that 'CHUGGA! CHUGGA!' crunchy thing before the chorus is an excellent touch. I think it needs to be pointed out (again) that the song is a complete rip-off of The Hollies tune (can't remember which one, but I'm sure it WAS by the Hollies).

Oh ok then!! Shite lryics + ripped off chords/melody = utter bollocks ('CHUGGA! CHUGGA!' not withstanding, i.e.).

Nevertheless, I'm pissed off by the fact that the band doesn't bother writing a gotdamn TUNE anymore. Wtf?!?! And nevermind telling me that 'hey, they're doing something more difficult maaaaaannn - this art!'

Do you want to know what's the hardest thing in the world (no knob gags please, they're British)? Writing a great 3 minute pop song. THAT'S the toughie. Nevermind sitting down noodling around with ideas from big-band jazz and hybridising electronica and RAWK. Write a bloody tune, yer daft muppets. Christ. I'm not saying an album full - I'm not even saying half an album. Just one or two, for pete's sake. It's enough to drive a person to a Cold Play purchase.

Of course, you may argue that writing a tune would necessarily involve Radiohead getting into bed with The Man - y'know, doing a glossy video, appearing on talk-shows and trying to look coy, 'thoughtful' and sensitive.

BUT THEY'RE DOING ALL THAT CRAP ALREADY. I'VE SEEN 'EM. IT MADE ME SQUIRT MY NESCAFE DOWN MY NOSTRILS, SO HARD DID I SNORT MY ANGUISHED DERISION.

Ah, pffftt. Someone adjust my damn catheter again.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:33 am

Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.I like the new Radiohead album.If i was president of their record company and i was reading these posts, it would be mission accomplished.Even the people who dont like the band are talking about them.They are prog for Bon Jovi fans - 'weird stuff' i've even heard it called.haha.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:27 am

Haha - yeah but if you thought number of column inches was the bottom line you wouldn't BE president - least not for very long. Units shifted - that's the baby, and exposure doesn't always = sales.

Of course, it just so happens that Radiohead WILL probably recoup (and then some) with this new 'un. So, yes, the Pres will not be unhappy. But this is because R-head have tapped into the major artery of the 'bright' middle class white-boy demographic and are bleeding it white.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:52 am

I've said before but I will say it again. If creep was the worst thing my band did, I would be ok with that. Have any of you guys evan heard "the bends" go put it on and listen to it and come back and say Radiohead sucks and they are overrated. I dare you. The Strokes are overrated. Radiohead is not your thing maybe...but not overrated.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:16 am

i agree with you. sure making kid a they were influenced by autechre, can and kind of blended it with some of the jazz shit they were vibing on. but i dare someone to name another band with bigger balls to actually put that out as an album as a followup to their record which in my opinion, and that of many other ppl, undoubtedly is one of the best mainstream rock records in the last 20 years. kid a's divergence from the ok computer sound made in utero look like nevermind 2. i mean it's ok to not like radiohead, but people should at least acknowledge the risk this band has taken releasing its last 3 records. i went out and found some of these obscure, under the radar bands BECAUSE of radiohead.

L.L.JamBnds
audio school

Post by L.L.JamBnds » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:19 am

Wow! Was that last one a knock on Me Cal?

I realize this is a discussion board, and that is why I am discussing that I think Radiohead is overrated. I'm not just trying to piss you guys off. Obviously you are cool enough to be on this board and know about tape op (even though I doubt you have been with it since the first stapled b/w zine like I have) so I figure I should throw you guys a bone.

Whoever cited Deerhoof and the Boredoms certainly knows their shit, but those bands are in a category all their own. It would be an insult to compare them to Radiohead.

I can't beleive you guys are devoting time to discussing the new album is all. It's like they are traveling backwards, and they are just discovering the college rock scene (aka Fugazi, Missions of Burma etc) and they throw in some electronics here and there to make up for the fact that their song writing has gone totally down hill.

Although, (since obviously I do listen to Radiohead) the new one is fifty times better than the crap they tried to get paid for on Amnesiac.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:29 am

You are so cool.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:41 am

that's fucking awesome. now it's vogue to have been with tape op since it was photocopied and stapled! something that makes one person cooler than the next. i love it. can i brag to my friends now and ridicule my homies who haven't been with TO since the beginning for not "getting it"?

hang around for awhile, maybe you'll get it.

that comment from cal wasn't even directed at you.

welcome to the tape op board sir!

thats the one about "creative recording", remember?

cheers...

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:27 am

ya know, i was just commenting the other day about how great the message board has gotten. 'member when there were all the poopers on it? it's like we managed to clear it all up of 'em and enjoy utter bliss and harmony. just one look at the accidental thread makes me think how cool/fun this board has gotten (extra cred to Hillary for makin it look fresh too!) the thred is about NOTHING and we are still having a gas with it!

....and now this.... :(
boobs are life's fountain

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:37 am

being from dc and in the music scene here, i am about to be in total blasphemy here...i think fugazi is overrated. i appreciate and admire what they have done and continue to do for the underground scene, but musically i feel they have been overhyped for wayyy to long. i can't even tell you why, just an opinion filtered through my musical taste. mission to burma vs radiohead? hahahaahahahaa... sometimes i feel that certain people in the indie community display a musical elitism that goes beyond the quality of music. i think that it starts getting about who finds the most obscure band, doing the most esoteric thing first. i just like good music...shit, i'll be the first one to tell you that new beyonce single with jay-z is hot as shit:)

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:50 am

ah, now ya said it! :hearts:

I hear-by form the official 'tapeop beyonce club' (hit's gavel twice)
boobs are life's fountain

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:54 am

...not only am i a client...

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:08 pm

beyonce is on the top of my "i'm going to bone list"...
Wow thats the worst thing I ever said.

Actually I think she is overrated. Its all about Kelly Roland.