Micing Technique, or bit depth???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Micing Technique, or bit depth???

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:40 pm

chocolatechickenpotpie wrote: One word: Harmonics

is this like thirdharmonicdistortion?

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:48 pm

is this like thirdharmonicdistortion?
:rofl:

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:30 pm

I was always partial to first harmonic distortion... through a deluxe reverb! Huh huh... see how I worked partial in there!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:40 pm

can't record in 24-bit because my software (adobe audition, formerly cool edit pro) only lets me select between 16-bit and 32-bit... though my interface allows 24-bit, i've been dealing with 16-bit as i couldn't do 32-bit... so is there anything i can do about this?
BTW, wing, are you sure you can't record in 24? I think you have a separate hardware setup preference that you need to check. Don't quote me on this, remember, I'm a tape guy, but there's NO converter out there that uses a 32-bit word length. My guess is audition allows you to use a 32-bit FILE format to increase resolution for things like editing and crossfades, but your audio is still 24-bit which shouldbe a hardware setup. Check your preferencesm especially look for something like "hardware setup" or "soundcard setup."

CC
PP
-Hunter S. Thompson

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:36 am

cool edit is weird and for some reason doesn't have an option to record 24 bit. i was helping a friend set up his system and i looked all over to no avail. it's 16 or 32 only. which defies all logic because as CCPP said, there's no 32 bit converters. alright! lots of useless zeros!

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:26 am

alright! lots of useless zeros!
Go figure

:shock:
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:04 am

Dear Mr. Soundguy,

NOTICE TO CEASE AND DECIST

It has come to our attention that you are using our intellectual property without our express written permission or license. Please be advised that 'Devastatin' Dave' and 'Zip Zap Rap' are wholly owned trademarks of ZipZap Records, Inc. and are subject to all international copyright and intellectual property controls. ZipZap Records is a multinational corporation. We have distribution in Canada and The Federated Republic of the Marshall Islands. We also have an army of lawyers. You do not want to fuck with us. If you continue to infringe on our copyright, we will be forced to levy a royalty subsumation against you in the amount of one dollar per unit sold of Devastatin' Dave's Zip Zap Rap. That's right Mr. Soundgy, you could end up owing us as much as thirteen dollars! You will be hearing from our attonreys. If you wish to discuss this, please contact our attorneys at 900-LAW-4ALL.

Thank you,

Flatulatin' Fred
President,
ZipZap Records
-Hunter S. Thompson

logancircle
tinnitus

movie sound quality

Post by logancircle » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:44 am

chocolatechickenpotpie you rock! All that info makes sense and I'm a little mad that DVD audio isn't the standard yet. Speaking of things sounding better than CD's...

Movie sound: I have been seeing some movies lately and wondering what quality sound they are using. Some newer movies seem to have a clarity that makes me suspect they're using at least 24-bit, but I don't know. I'm not talking about action movies--there's usually too much going on sonically to be able to tell. But I saw "The Company" by Robert Altman the other day and what really struck me was the sound of the fabric. It's a film about ballet and there are these complete dance sequences on screen with music, but one of the most striking sounds was that of the big billowy costumes flapping and brushing against each other as the performers danced. If you see the movie let me know if you notice something about that sound--is it just me or does it sound REALLY clear? And what's the deal in general with movie sound?

Casey

Lazy_Q
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lazy_Q » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:49 am

sweet.

anyhow, a brief addenum to the nyquist theory breakdown that chocolatechickenpotpie posted. this is largely paraphrased from Bob Katz's excellent "mastering audio".

In theory, cd's are a nearly perfect audio recording format. In reality it's limited by our inablilty to create a digital or analog -infinity db/octave filter at 22khz that doesn't create phase distortion or artifacts. Much of the good of higher sample rates is simply the ability to have the filter for frequencies that would cause problems for the a/d converters be well outside the human hearing range. There's also an advantage in that when doing processing, both the higher bitrate and higher sampling rate tend to reduce artifacts due to re-filtering and rounding errors in all of the calculations done to the audio.

perhaps the movie sound thing should be a different thread...

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:21 am

the only thing this does not bring into the argument is precieved frequency, which is really a budding science in it's own right.

but it just goes to show just how close we really are!

DVD? hmmm.... nearly 5gigs of audio information.
boobs are life's fountain

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:56 am

I'm a little mad that DVD audio isn't the standard yet.
I think the labels are waiting to see how the whole paid downloading thing goes. Why manufacture a product if you don't have to? They can pass the savings along to the consumer. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I meant the retailer... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I meant the artist... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I meant they'll actually pay the studio... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I meant the condo in Aspen... :crickets:
-Hunter S. Thompson

markpar
george martin

Re: movie sound quality

Post by markpar » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:18 pm

logancircle wrote:I'm a little mad that DVD audio isn't the standard yet.
Once again, Sony is missing the boat by not pushing their format as hard as they can. SACD is, to me, so much nicer than DVD-A. SACD samples at 2.8224 MHz (that's 2822.4 kHz) and gets away from PCM encoding anomalies by using a 1-bit word length, which means it doesn't have to go through PCM filtering stuff.

As I've said before, it sounds the closes to vinyl than anything else I've ever heard. But my ears are different than yours, so take that into consideration. :)

Ok, that's all from the SACD fanboy.

-mark

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:15 pm

I gotta say SACD is fantastic. This from a guy with 2,000 LPs.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:59 pm

hey whadday'all think we'll be litening to in 5 yrs????
-Hunter S. Thompson

dumbangel
pushin' record

Post by dumbangel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:01 pm

OK, here's something i don't quite understand.

How come i much prefer the vinyl sound of recent musics that were originally recorded on 16bit 44khz? I mean there's a BIG difference in sound quality. (and i'm listening to the CD version from an Apogee PSX100)