The Mix our Song Contest

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: The Mix our Song Contest

Post by trashy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:25 pm

thekingandcaroline wrote: Trashy,

The mix with overdubs kicks ass!
Great! I'm glad you liked them... actually, I could(n't) care less, because I had so much fun doing fooling around with it that it was worth it either way.

Vocals: the main vocals is treated with the L1 limiter, used often for mastering. I love it on vocals, because of the way it puts it "in your face" (as you said before), but it doesn't sound very compressy. Actually, I finished the mix last night, and listening to it now, I think the vocals could be a couple of dbs lower on the first verse/chorus...

Drums: are not mono compatable... there's a stereo delay of a few milliseconds to give it a fake stereo image. Also, mucho compression and a bit of room reverb.

Middle eight: that was the most fun by far, although, again listening this afternoon, there's a couple of things I'd change. Anyway, the swirling effect was an afterthought. While I was working on the mix, my kids wanted to play with a mic that I had up (which is why I buy cheap mics). I recorded a bit of them talking into it, and was just going to toss it, but then thought "why not?" (It's not my song, right?!) So that swirling effect is emma and helen ran through a delay that I'm tweaking and panning.

I'm glad you liked those guitar runs; they almost didn't make the cut, but I didn't know what else to put in their place!

Well, I'm glad you liked it...

-Phil

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:35 pm

That middle part is really cool trashy! I like the lala backgrounds at the end, too. You've made the tune better!
beware bee wear

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:16 pm

thekingandcaroline wrote:
Cowtrax,

I've only got my crap, no-lows work headphones to listen to this on, but everything in the mid and high range sounds really good, man. I like the doubled vocal track. And the drums sound great -- really crisp and punchy and almost live.

You really opened things up a lot. I like the way everything sits in the mix. There's plenty of breathing room.

Nice.

I'll give it a closer listen later at home.

Joe
Joe-
thanks! When working that quick sometimes things get a bit dicey in the low end - so that may not hold up as much, but... thanks!
Although the tracks were a bit peculiar, I found them pretty easy to work with. (You know, the oddness with the gating and all...)
Cheers!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:34 pm

cowtrax wrote:Joe-
thanks! When working that quick sometimes things get a bit dicey in the low end - so that may not hold up as much, but... thanks!
Although the tracks were a bit peculiar, I found them pretty easy to work with. (You know, the oddness with the gating and all...)
Cheers!
To me it's exciting to hear what everyone's been able to do with our amateur recording. I've probably mentioned this already, but we recorded this stuff over a year ago and only had a basic idea of what we were doing. We recorded in a rush, too, and with very limited equipment.

We're getting more competent with our newer stuff, I think, and Odie has become a Cool Edit Pro guru, but we definitely still have some bridges to cross.

You guys are making our turd sound like gold.

Joe

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:43 am

Whats the best way to post my mix online?

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:14 pm

The Spark wrote:Whats the best way to post my mix online?
You can set up a Yahoo briefcase, but you'll have to pay $3 a month to allow public access to it.

Otherwise, well, I don't know. Do you have a website?

Can anyone else help?

Joe

bmaxwell
audio school graduate

Post by bmaxwell » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:45 pm

hey, here's a first pass. Didn't fuck with too much except for some vocal sounds. The only thing I added was a tambo in the ch's. If I get some time I might put an updated mix up, but check it out;

http://www.brucemacfarlane.com/music/tr ... well)1.mp3

rockstarfactory
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by rockstarfactory » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:45 pm

man, bmaxwell, that sounds great! the drums particularly sound like you spent some time on them.

well, give us the scoop! what'd you use?

tawd

bmaxwell
audio school graduate

Post by bmaxwell » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks Rockstarfactory,

I guess I did fuck around with a bit more than the Vocal sound. I did layer some samples over some of the drums. When I do a touch up mix I might see if I could make more of the original sounds work, I just wanted to get to playing around with the vocals and find something weird and hopefully cool. I could really hear the data compression going on with the vocals and as a result couldn't find a cool straight forward sound. So I just fucked with it until I found something interesting.

Any response on the vocal sound on this mix? Does it work?

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:11 pm

bmaxwell wrote:Any response on the vocal sound on this mix? Does it work?
I think the vocal sound is excellent. It reminds me a little of the vocal in Trashy's mix in that it sounds really hot and confrontational, which fits the overall feel of the song, I think, especially in the chorus.

And man, that tambourine was a stroke of genius. It really makes the chorus jump out at you. It's so simple and obvious and good, yet it never crossed my mind to put one there.

I dig your mix a lot.

Joe