Your favorite recorded guitar part ever?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JES
tinnitus

Re: Your favorite recorded guitar part ever?

Post by JES » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:29 am

psychicoctopus wrote:Anyone ever go thru a King Crimson phase? Fripp's guitar(s) at the end of "sailor's tale" on Islands... whoosh! indescribable. unless you're this writer:
In terms of harmonic support there is a transformation: the riff is, at one point, transposed to D, and D becomes important at the end. At the climax the guitar tremolando is picked up from the solo of Section 3 and this time descends in first inversion minor triads, glissandi, first to D minor and then to a first inversion D major chord (Tierce de Picardie) which gradually ralls. to a slower, spread D major first inversion chord. It is Fourth-related, making a long-term connection with the intervals of the opening. In this way, the Aeolian harmony (A) can be seen as a long dominant prolongation cadencing only at the very end on D (A=V : D=I);
but whatever. its glorious.
That and the solo in "Prince Rupert's Lament" at the end of Lizard. Oh my god.

--JES

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:12 am

Has anyone heard "She Says What She Means" by Sloan? That's some nice guitar. It's a pretty silly 70s riff.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:34 am

Pick a riff from an AC/DC album pre 1980. Adrian Belew's parts through harmonizer on "Big Electric Cat" from his 'Lone Rhino' album.

Miles
audio school graduate

Post by Miles » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:23 am

We've gotten to the second page of this thread and nobody's mentioned Jimi Hendrix. There are actually some innovative guitar recording techniques on Jimi's records (e.g., the leslie on little wing). We've still got plenty to learn from him.

Another fav: Andy Gill, Gang of four, Anthrax. Basic recording, but amazing manipulation of feedback and noise.

fear of texas
gettin' sounds

Post by fear of texas » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:35 pm

the coolest recorded guitar part ever is on "Search And Destroy" on Raw Power. right at the beginning when the guitar lead comes in. of course i prefer the Asheton on guitar Stooges, but what ya gonna do.

Larsen
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Larsen » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:53 pm

I have to say anything that Joey Santiago played in the Pixies. bizarre and beautiful.

And, digging up my old Black Flag records, listening to how Greg Ginn used to torment his poor guitar...I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not. It's so bad it's brilliant. Absoulely memorable though, which I think is the point.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:04 pm

Another vote for Fripp. My all time favorite solo is from Baby's on Fire off Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets.

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:37 pm

So many to choose from...

Right now the opening riff to "Doomsbride" by Warhorse is melting my brain. That has to be the single heaviest riff ever recorded.

My favorite solo has got to be in "Grease Paint and Monkey Brains" by White Zombie. Out of nowhere is this bluesy solo in the middle of a metal song and damned if it doesn't fit perfectly. Whatever happened to J. Yuenger?
Heurh!

troposphere rover
audio school

Post by troposphere rover » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:53 pm

side a of band of gypsys is the coolest ever. the noises and sustain that jimi coaxes from his guitar have been giving me goosebumps since i bought that tape at a truckstop in nebraska when i was 14. i still listen to that record 2 or 3 times a week.
john fahey's tone on just about everything is wicked as well.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:06 pm

last I heard J had a band and was producing a bit in LA.

Another band that never gets any mention outside of LA is Masters Of Reality. Some of Goss' parts on Sunrise On The suffer Bus (with ginger baker on drums no less) are totally remarkable. You just know Jimmy Page got jealous when he heard the little leads in "V.H.V." This record also has probably some of my most favorite baker moments as well. that guy was in cream and Im saying that. why the world doesnt know this record is a total mystery to me.

And then there's the first three ZZTop records, but thats a thesis in and of itself.

dave

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:03 pm

1. guitar solo on frank zappa's "peaches in regalia" (original version off of "hot rats".) starts out with what i guess an acoustic through a wah with a flute doubling the part. finishes up with 8 bars of just guitar that sounds so slick and crisp and good. and immediately following that is an amazing organ solo from outer space. i never ever get tired of this 40 seconds of music. i never ever get tired of this album.

2. marc ribot's guitar solo on "clap hands" off of tom waits' rain dogs. sounds like it is being played by somebody with broken hands. yet is somehow the best thing ever.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:18 pm

electro-

thats not an acoustic guitar. Its the very secret "cream puff device". I want to say the circuit was built into his guitar, but Im not positive. It was definitely custom built for him. Im been trying to build one of those now for 7 years with no luck. Someday. That sound is all over Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels Ripped My flesh.

I wish the tapes for the original vinyl pressing could someday get remastered. grrr...

dave

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Whatever happened to J. Yuenger?

Post by djslayerissick » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:26 am

"Whatever happened to J. Yuenger?"

1996 RUINED EYE / Germs (tribute) / A small circles of friends
1997 FU MANCHU Action is Go (producer and guitar )

1997 SHELTER : Beyond Planet Earth
Lead guitar by J. Yuenger on tracks "8. Helpless" "11. Man or Beast" "13. Eleventh Day Of The Moon"
More on shelter (and win stuff) http://rzr.online.fr/rd-id/16

1998 Original Soundtrack Chicago Cab (1998) Producer

2000 STENDEC : By the winter of 2000, Joe Daniels (Local H) was back behind the drumkit for Southern California rock band Stendec (which was originally named Slobot) with ex-White Zombie member J. Yuenger. Stendec disbanded in Spring 2001.

2002 : He is in band, but there is nothing public about them (so far) He also formed a punk-inspired side project, Bull Taco, with Morris, Navarro, Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Zander Schloss (Circle Jerks).

http://white.zombie.online.fr/d/zombie/jyuenger.htm

Dirk Funk
audio school graduate

Post by Dirk Funk » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:57 am

The guitar intro to "Let's Build a Car" by the Swell Maps. It sounds like your stereo is having a meltdown.