Your Motivation

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Your Motivation

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:22 am

Every person is searching for 'perfect self-expression'. Those who never find it, live an angry and hostile life. People who are dubbed 'jaded' are usually these same people.

I do this because I am inclined to complete the picture presented. To take on tasks to finish projects in a way that the artist usually doesn't. We are at most times, a complimentary fit.

Having a body of work, I work toward that end. Much is to be said about consistency.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:41 pm

dynomike wrote:I always feel like I'm just screwing around and wasting time when I'm not producing something
Oh Man do I know what you mean. If I go a week or two without recording some music(and I even have a job with a production company so I'm always working with audio) I feel like a waste case, and that I need to do something important.

I love the feeling of someone taking my CD home and next time they come over, they're singing my song. Its the Shiznizelle!!
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:19 pm

Yeah that is a cool feeling. Especially when it's people you've never met before but they know the words to your songs!
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:23 pm

I also got into recording because I'm a musician first. I wanted a cool recording setup so I could record demos. Then I checked out this site and decided for some insane reason that I wanted to record analog to R2R. How many people think this sounds familiar? Now, nearly a year and several thousand dollars later and many, many mistakes later, I finally have a pretty cool studio setup in my house based around an Otari 8 track 1/2" (2 of them to be exact). I never could have dreamed how much recording gear can suck you in and take all your available $. But it RAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:57 am

Bobby...had no idea you were a birdwatcher. I'm married to one...totally fanatical, so by rights I've had to become something of a birdwatcher too. Personally, I'm most interested in the little yellow ones that flit around the birdfeeder...the goldfinches. Social little buggers.

I started recording because it was a good idea to get out ideas for bandmates. Now I do it to avoid bandmates...me in my basement, and nobody else to bother me. I'm a bit of a hermit, I suppose.

Also, and more poignently, I do it for that fleeting moment of emotion you can get from something original, creative done well. Never lasts, but well worth it when you can sit back and let your art exist for a moment or two.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:39 pm

What's that bird that is known for getting rid of mosquitos, but, you have to have a certain type of feeder house with a certain type of windowing in it, on a certain height pole or the fucker won't even deign to visit?
beware bee wear

Marcus Golde
audio school graduate

Post by Marcus Golde » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:08 pm

I finished a record that I'm very proud of this year. The artist was able to reach very deep and I think I was able to capture that.
Last night I played onstage with him and got to see the reaction to the record. People were asking for autographs with tears in their eyes, telling him how much the record affected them. They told him their life storys and personal struggles. Through his music they found a personal connection, someone that knows how they feel. This cd will be an intimate part of their lives for a long time to come.

This reminded me why I make records.

I've read that "Words transmit ideas but only music transmits emotions". Somebody could try to describe an emotion but I can only try to feel what that person is describing. Though, I can be truely touched by a really great artist.
Marc Golde
Rock Garden Studio
1006 S. Lawe St.
Appleton, WI 54915
rockgardenstudio@tds.net
rockgardenstudio.net

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:33 pm

joeysimms wrote:What's that bird that is known for getting rid of mosquitos, but, you have to have a certain type of feeder house with a certain type of windowing in it, on a certain height pole or the fucker won't even deign to visit?
Yeah, not sure, but if memory serves it might be gnatcatcher. They catch bugs in mid-air. I know that some birds only go to suet feeders, like nuthatches, while bluebirds tend to enjoy live mealworms best.