How many crappy albums have you bought?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Ever purchased an album (on whatever format) and got it home to find upon listening that boy this album sucks? How many times has this happened to you in the last ten years?

1-10
32%
11-20
19%
21-30
9%
31-40
11%
41-50
30%

Total votes: 47

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: How many crappy albums have you bought?

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:21 pm

Holy cow, y'all! Can't even imagine.

How do you listen to them all?!

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:56 pm

I usually play 2-3 albums a day just to unwind or I grab my guitar and jam along with some of them...
When my wife is on the computer playing scrabble, I spin records. On those nights I can play up to 10 records, skipping through the shitty songs and just playing the cool ones..

I also don't watch TV. so that free's up a lot of time too...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:59 pm

Spiderhead69 wrote:I also don't watch TV. so that free's up a lot of time too...

AMEN BROTHAH!

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:13 pm

I bought a quicksilver messenger service album on the advice of my now ex-girlfriend's hippy father. Not much on that for me.

Hmmm...Oh! Van der Graff Generator! Couldn't stand that operatic singer shit. I like myself some Geddy Lee, but that guy, nah.

The Strawbs were disappointing.

Much of this old prog rock...it's hard to gauge beforehand. I think I might Kazaa some stuff form now on. Like Banco del Mutuo Soccorso. etc.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:27 pm

I'd put my number at more like 100+ over the last 10 years.

I too will buy a second hand record because of the cover or something in the liner notes that strikes my fancy (engineer, optigon, 40 tracks on one CD...) and 2 out of 3 are trash. I just can't help myself. I do regularly purge and sometimes it's worth a single listen, like some movies are worth a single viewing. get something from it and sell it back to the store to buy more crap.

As far as full price CDs go, the internet has really really helped with that. soulseek preview and away I go. I'll also get stuck in the 'god I love this new (to me) band and I simply must own all of their output.'

will

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:40 pm

Your poll only goes up to 41-50. I'd need a 50-1000 category to vote honestly...

Working at a record store, I end up taking a lot of stuff home that I never would if I were actually paying out cash. Somehow, trading my time for music makes it more palatable to take chances.

Recent disappointments:
Alice Coltrane: Translinear Light: I'm a huge HUGE fan of her 60's stuff, but this record has some pretty embarrassing moments. Especially since it's her first in 30-some years.

The last 2 Orb records. Yeah, I know their moment passed years ago, but I keep buying their stuff. No more, dammit!

The Bill Laswell Irish remix and vocal jazz remix records. I'm kind of a Laswell dork, I'll buy pretty much anything he puts out. But, oh my God, what was he thinking with these records! Bad ideas. I can't believe that no one in the whole project couldn't stand up and say, " hey, this, like, sucks, man!" Special mention of his Operazone disc: it's themes from Operas done in easy-listening/101 strings meets dub mixes, which sounds like it'd be torture, but it has Graham Haynes and Jackie Byard as soloists, and they play wonderfully on this stuff. Plus, it's just incredibly well recorded, one of the lushest albums I own.

I could go on and on, but I'm already looking pretty pathetic here...

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:53 pm

Crap, I have probably bought about 100+ albums that sucked too. I probably bought about 600-700 albums during the five (ha) years I was in college though, mostly at used-CD stores. And there's a good deal of those - probably half - that were decent but didn't merit lugging around with me from apartment to apartment.

Now my cds and my wife's rather large CD collection sit ignored in a seriously huge box in the closet. (I'm not gonna lie, I got about 200 CDRs on top of the regular CDs. That helped sift through a lot of crap, that CDR thing...)

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Post by Cappy*tan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 pm

So many I'd rather not think about it...heh

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:45 pm

NewAndImprov wrote:Your poll only goes up to 41-50. I'd need a 50-1000 category to vote honestly...
I meant to put 50+ category in there, but somehow it didn't make in. Pr'y cuz I'm an idiot.
NewAndImprov wrote:The Bill Laswell Irish remix and vocal jazz remix records. I'm kind of a Laswell dork, I'll buy pretty much anything he puts out. But, oh my God, what was he thinking with these records! Bad ideas.
Oh dude. I'm so sorry. I'm a Laswell freak too. But y'r right. He does some wack shit sometimes.

Laswell sounded appealing so I just had to put on Automaton Jihad.

The other thing I have of his is the Last Poets single, Black&Strong that he did production on. That's lovely too. Plus its got Bernie Worrell, which is actually never a bad thing, near as I can tell.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:26 am

another vote pro-Laswell. I just heard his Bob Marley remix stuff today on an internet radio show. It was kinda cool (despite what I have said elsewhere on the board about reggae I do enjoy some of it).

Um, I gotta second Roger Waters' "Amused to Death." A total boner of an album...but I didn't buy that one, my girlfriend did.

Bowie, "Heathen"
Bowie, "Reality"

...you'd think I'd learn.

Spiritualized, "Lazer Guided Melodies" (actually, this one might have been a gift but OH MAMA does it suck. the 'z' in "Lazer" should have tiped me off)

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner

Elliot Smith - either/or (sorry folks)

Dire Straits - On Every Street (come to think of it, why did I buy this?)

Sam Phillips - Fan Dance (which is a shame as I love the two other records of hers I have)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:47 am

dwlb wrote:Elliot Smith - either/or (sorry folks)
... i know musical taste is a personal thing, but holy shit, either/or has to be one of the greatest tributes to melody and pathos ever. brilliant stuff... you better be sorry ;)

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:59 am

dwlb wrote:Elliot Smith - either/or (sorry folks)
Stop being on Angel Dust and China White speedballs dwubly. Speed Trials, Ballad of Big Nowt, Between the Bars. Holy Electret Condensors, batfink!! These're some of the best songs EVER!!

But in answer to the thread Q, I have bought thousands of crappy albums. Quite lidderally mate. Bloody things're taking over. Recent crapnessity =

i). John Howard - Kid in a Big World (1975). Pants. Pure, unadulterated, crusty gussetted PANTS!! Here's what a cursory google reveals:

Family man is another kitchen sink drama, about a hassled dad with a wife who "Gotta double belly / gotta double chin / she watch a lotta telly / she drink a lotta gin" and "A son / who shoots old people with a gun / I got a daughter / hooked on Jamaican Rum..." All this to an exquisitely tasteful cod-reggae lilt - like Noel Coward jamming with Peter Tosh while Jake Thackray fills the pipes. Omgwtfbbq.

ii). King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon. (1943) Meh. A kind of rehashing of the good bits from In the Court, but without the - uhm - good bits.

iii). Coldplay - Parachutes. Blee. The singles are yeah - not bad at all actually. But shit - the rest of the thing is ass. AVOID!!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:14 am

The great thing about not being too picky with record buying is that sometimes i'll buy something and think it's crap and a few years later i'm really into it. I don't know whether this will still happen for me, but just before i put some records in storage i listened to loads of the ones i couldn't remember the sound of and came up with a few real beauties. My father's just the same with the whole records thing, i guess he taught me to do it, now that he's moved onto CDs i get some great stuff on vinyl from him too.

Can i just say that i really hate it when people call records 'vinyls', as a plural, just makes me wince.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:14 am

Double post.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:40 am

Rigsby wrote:but just before i put some records in storage i listened to loads of the ones i couldn't remember the sound of and came up with a few real beauties.
Name names!!
Can i just say that i really hate it when people call records 'vinyls', as a plural, just makes me wince.
Omgwtf and, moreoever, bbq. I HATE that. I've heard it a few times recently and on each occasion I've had a vicious inward blench to myself. Why I don't know. Who gives a damn. But I can't help it. I just...arghh...

*shudders*
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)