old school punk rock

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
zoetrope
pushin' record

Re: old school punk rock

Post by zoetrope » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:19 am

I'll second Wire's "Pink Flag", early Replacements, and Minutemen. Also early Husker Du, like "Everything Falls Apart." What about Iggy Pop and the Stooges "Raw Power." Odd mix, great album.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:02 am

Midwest 80's punk / underground classics:
Naked Raygun - Jettison
Big Black - Atomizer
Negative approach - Tied Down
Necros - Conquest for Death
Goober and the Peas - Complete Works (Detroit cowpunk band- might be relevant)
Dead Boys - Young Loud and Snotty
Stooges - Funhouse

hope this helps...
mark

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:03 am

Eleventh Dream Day.

True Believers.

DB's.

Drivin' and Cryin'.

Blasters.

Dream Syndicate.

Rain Parade.

Let's Active (when will this be on CD?)

All of the above are more punky then country but still have that edge, and have a bit of psychadelia, also.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:09 am

The Gibbon wrote:My favorite to this day has got to be The Replacements landmark contribution to punk...."STINK".......great songs like "Kids Don't Follow"....."Dope Smokin' Moron"......"Lazy-White"...etc....
Might as well press on and get Let It Be also, to hear Sixteen Blue followed up with Answering Machine.

danv1983
studio intern

Post by danv1983 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:25 am

oh, i know i haven't thought of any cool ny punk bands for you to hear yet,, when it comes to new york i'm much more into the experimental no wave and hip hop electro disco stuff that was going on at the time, maybe check out the misfits although they started out in new jersey. there was this french punk band named metal boys that friggin rock hard. I'm only listing stuff based on production values really, there is a lot of other goods out there where the recording proccess was largely a no brainer,, if you are going for a dirty diy sound ,, just use a 4 track fostex and some 57's and radio shack mics or something, and use like 3 mics on the whole drum kit,, let everything just blead into eachother. if you ask me,, my fav punk bands of all time are: the ex, flux of pink indians, lack of knowledge, the subhumans, the stranglers, nuerosis, left over crack, falling sickness, against all authority(first-album), catholic discipline, black flag, aus rotten, kill your idols, what happens next, doom, man is bastard, subincision, the unseen...and a whole heck of a lot more,, but hey guess thats another thread

cheers
------------------
Daniel Valencia
www.Watts-Up-Pro-Audio.com

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:42 am

Two words: "Bad" and "Brains". Essential. Makes me want to drive faster, put my fist through walls, holler, etc.

Anything up to (but not including) "Rise". Ignore everything after that.

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Post by gravy boat » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:17 pm

Fletcher wrote:
gravy boat wrote:Check out the Yahoos record "Fear not the Obvious" on Bloodshot.
One of my favorite albums ever made... it's a great 'rock and roll' album... but isn't really any kinda 'punk alt. country'... great album none the less!!!
Punk in the sense that it's not pro-tooled to death to fit into a radio station's "format". To me that's kinda punk rock these days. lol. And there are some twangy bits o guitar work sandwiched in with the rock.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:33 pm

Punk in the sense that it's not pro-tooled to death to fit into a radio station's "format". To me that's kinda punk rock these days. lol. And there are some twangy bits o guitar work sandwiched in with the rock.
For some good twangy punk, definitely check out the Minutemen, as well as the Dead Milkmen. Both responsible for some good Telecaster work.

Byron Jacquot