Teaching Pro Tools

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ggddcc
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Teaching Pro Tools

Post by ggddcc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:16 pm

I got hired as a consultant to teach ProTools to a journalism class, along with the professor of the class, just the editing, and how to get sound into/ot of the computer. They had to do interviews, etc, and then edit them to :30 or whatever. There were maybe 3 kids (ok- students...I was like 23 when I did this), who paid attention and asked relevant questions. After the class, one kid came up to me, and asked- "can you make beats with this?". So a couple years later, I was working with a band, and it turned out that 2 of the guys in the band were in that class. They said- "dude-we were so high, that when we watched what you were doing, we were like- what the f-so we stopped going to that class." Just thought that was a funny story......

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:23 pm

I'm pretty sure Keelah was referring to George Wallace, that cranky old dude that lives next door.

-GABE

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:36 pm

Current Resistance wrote:frankly, i think a public forum is exactly the kind of place for those statements....i mean is he leader of the FREE world or leader of the scared little communist/fascist/dictatorial world....

don't answer that keelah ha!
I'm sorry to start, and then extend, the tangent on this topic...

CR--I agree that public forum is a place for political and ideological discussion (although this qualifies for the Off-Topic board). Anti-Bush, anti-War sentiment is completely patriotic and should be welcomed in AMERICA--But suggesting said act is disturbingly ignorant.

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:39 pm

XXGABEXX wrote:I'm pretty sure Keelah was referring to George Wallace, that cranky old dude that lives next door.

-GABE
lol

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:02 pm

Okay guys. You may now call me 'Professor Robinson'.

Took the gig. I'll be teaching 3 courses: Music 130 Ear Training for the Recording Engineer, Music 173 Basic Studio Techniques 1 and Music 174 Basic Studio Techniques 2 (advanced recording).

The classroom has 12 Digidesing 001 workstations, K2500 keyboards and all are PC. Students can work under headphones or I can route them through the main monitors in the classroom. That aspect seems a little weird, but we'll see if it matters. There is one large workstation with an 8-in/8-out HD system (yeah!) that is MAC. These students have some great resources at hand. I have some plans to track some projects in a 'real studio' which they'll attend and then give the students copies of the basic tracks to overdub on in class. Could end up with 15 different versions of the main tune.

I'll keep you posted and thanks all of you for the support.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 pm

damn, we've come a long way since those wurlitzer EP's for schools...

dave