The Unwelcome Guest

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
object88
takin' a dinner break

Re: The Unwelcome Guest

Post by object88 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:44 am

XXGABEXX wrote:Hey Bedbug, check out the Ben Stiller DVD.
Diverging even further off topic, the U2 skits, esp. the cerial commercial, are just f'ing BRILLIANT.

OK, back to the Man From U.N.C.L.E.; I would follow Severt's advice. Sit him down and explain that his hours and noise-level-requirements aren't meshing well with your source of income. Explain that this has nothing to do with him, that you enjoy having him as a guest, but your upcoming project will deeply disturb his daily routine, and perhaps it would be best for all parties if he were to find a Motel for the remaining time.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:39 pm

Thx for all the advice...Some of it hit the nail on the head, some of it didn't. Basically, I told him about the studio blah blah blah. He shrugged and said, "Doesn't bother me." I told him that it will once the drums begin. Again he shrugged. Problem is that I don't want the folks recording (incl my studio partner) to feel like they have to stop at 11pm because he's there. And they'll know he's there if they go upstairs to the bathroom. To complicate things, I'll be away the weekend in question, and Ken'll be running the show.

I think I just have to be honest and tell him to get out for a few nights. That and I'll hammer the point home, and start wailing on the kit tonight myself (at least I can release some frustration).

The thing about the van is funny. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were spying on me. He's actually told me that in warmer weather he's stayed in the van while on jobs to avoid paying for hotel (ie pocket his per diem).

Blood is thicker than water and all that,
Paul

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:21 pm

raysolinski wrote:About 10 years ago I was living in South Carolina..doing the beach bar acoustic thing..
Dude, I am SO sorry.

Actually, your story cracked me up. I remember when that commercial was out and there was this rumour going around that that guy was actually Steve Miller. Not sure what was up with that.

Funny that commercial came up. I made a joke about that on a session today when the producer wanted me to print the click track right up to 0 on a 24-bit recorder.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:38 am

if you were to copy him with the polarity reversed and then sum him to mono you might just be able to phase him out.

ok...i'm sorry....it's late.