Your favorite recorded guitar part ever?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
uqbar
steve albini likes it

Re: Your favorite recorded guitar part ever?

Post by uqbar » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:29 am

I like the guitar solo in the Buzzcocks song "Fast Cars." They do the same solo in Boredom which is almost the same song as "Fast Cars." Two notes is all you need...
Last edited by uqbar on Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:54 am

An acquaintance of mine says it's just so much wanking, but I think Dave Davies tears it up all over The Kinks' "Arthur (or the Rise and Fall of the British Empire)." I love his guitar playing on that record, and on the other stuff those guys recorded around that time -- "Mindless Child of Motherhood" being a great example.

Graham Coxon did some great stuff with Blur. I'm particularly fond of the strange chords and voicings in "Coffee & TV." Cool solo, too.

Curtis Mayfield. "Little Child Runnin' Wild" and "Pusherman." Damn, he makes that Strat sound good, and without ever being flashy.

I second the vote for the guitar sounds on Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane..."

Last but not least would be the insane solo near the end of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android." My brain still has trouble sorting that one out.

Joe

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:40 pm

djslayerissick: Thanks for the info, dude! I remember hearing about Stendec a few years ago in a quick article in Guitar World, but nothing about them since. Someone needs to put a foot up his ass and get him in gear. He's so damn overlooked it's not funny.

And hell, how did I forget Teenage Riot? That main riff, the first time through... :D
Heurh!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:43 pm

Tom Verlaine (Television) on Marquee Moon. Richard Thompson on Shoot Out the Lights.

Dry and one take. Don't need no stinkin' Pro Tools!

(For over the top effects and single live take, it's still hard to top Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner....)

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:46 pm

the solo from smashing pumpkins "cherub rock"
the verse section with all the delays in sparta's "assemble the empire"

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:24 pm

Guitar solo on "Sheetkickers," from Guided By Voices' "Under the Bushes" album (actually the ep the came with it). Comes in big and sloppy like a giant dog, I love it!

literati
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by literati » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:27 pm

The intro to "Czar" by Frank Black, from the self-titled record. Sounds like a beautiful car wreck.

The solo by Alex Leifson in Rush's "La Villa Strangiato," from <i>Exit, Stage Left</i>. Gives me chills every time.

Pretty much all of My Bloody Valentine's <i>Loveless</i>. Yeah, you know why.

Cheers,
Literati

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:17 pm

This'll sound completely dorky, but I remember being totally blown away by the first note of the guitar solo on Blondie's "Rapture": this fuzzed out, flanged out low E that's just glorious. Rest of the solo's pretty lame, but man, that first note!

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:32 pm

Two come to mind...

1. John McLaughlin's solo on New York On My Mind, from the Electric Guitarist LP on Columbia... he was playing a big-box Gibson L5, 2 pickups, scalloped fingerboard, taped f-holes, thru a Marshall at high volume; a soaring, overdriven electric solo built on feeling and tone instead of blinding virtuosity; the album is a much-overlooked retrospective of his career as a jazz guitarist to that point (1976).

2. Eddie Hazel's introductory solo on the title track of Funkadelic's Maggot Brain LP... many believe Hendrix to be the ultimate Strat rock shredder but Hazel's Strat solo is a brilliant display of rock guitar tone, feeling, technique and fusion of different styles.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:58 pm

that funkadelic solo is totally insane.

the live shakti record is probably my favorite JMC moment. 10 minutes into the first song, when he starts the lead, you realize that some other guy had been doubling what you originally thought was the guitar lead... carziness.

where is that guy today?

dave

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Re: Creampuff??

Post by electrofloss » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:04 pm

soundguy-

secret creampuff device??? how perfect. i have not read about this. yes, it is all over "weasels ripped my flesh" and is responsible for toads of the short forest sounding so fucking awsome. probably should have posted that over peaches.

where do you get your secret zappa information? i am always hungry for more insight on his gear and studio technique.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:15 pm

the creampuff device is what toads of the short forest is all about! I read an interview where he talked about it. I want to say that it was built into a custom guitar he had, but then again, Ive never heard a live recording with it, so Id assume it was something in a box. I also want to think that the guy who built it later went on to start mutron, but I could totally be pulling that out of the wrong part of my brain. Its some kind of envelope follower with something else going on, someday, before I die I will have an answer to this.

I was actually able to turn up a conn multivider, the box that the sax's were blowing into in 1968. now that thing is completely insane... I think the creampuff device was the exact opposite reaction to the conn multivider, and that conn box was a HUGE foundation part of what made the 68 mothers the 68 mothers. There ya go. thats my contribution to the conceptual continuity. The best one has gotta be the guy that turned up a page from a TV Guide that showed "It conquered the world" playing on LA broadcast TV three days before the show at the Roxy where "Cheepnis" was recorded.

zappa fans. we are a bunch of freaks for sure.

I think one of the deciding factors in renting my apartment came out of it being around the corner from where uncle meat was recorded.

freaks.

dave

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:40 pm

Genesis; Invisible Touch; The Brazilian

That song has this briliant little guitar part near the end. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it's perfect.

Phil Collins; Face Value; In the Air Tonight

You know that sustained chord at the beginning.

Sonic Youth; Confusion Is Sex; The World Looks Red

The whole song has this strange guitar harmonic that's so awesome.

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:16 pm

when i first moved to new york, i wanted to go and see the building that frank and gail used to live in when they lived here. i remember from the autobiography that it was on thompson street in the village. or maybe they moved around a lot. i should read that chapter again.

i don't think i know where uncle meat was recorded. i remember reading that joe's garage was mixed or tracked or both with two giant monitors on opposing side walls creating a sort of giant set of headphones.

watermelon in easter hay. there's a fucking guitar solo.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:10 am

read the chapter, west village.

Uncle Meat was recorded on a 12 track at apolstolic which was on broadway in 1967. Why nobody talks about the fact that the mothers were recording at 30 IPS on a 12 track in 1967 when the world wets its pants over the fact that it was so cool that some english dudes figured out how to bounce tracks between two four tracks the same year is beyond me... Someday the world will wise up to how ahead of his time FZ was. Old news. anyway, apostolic was on 10th. Every single night, month after month, when they left the studio the first thing they would have looked at was a giant church.

and the neighbors complained.

and this was before the creampuff device.

dave