Huge, incredible sounding records.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

Re: Huge, incredible sounding records.

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sun May 11, 2003 9:39 am

What about the Jesus Lizard's Goat? I quite like the drums on that record. Also, Big Black's Atomizer has great sounding drums, that drummer was crazy.
Juan

todd
pushin' record

Post by todd » Sun May 11, 2003 10:00 pm

Soundguy Dave,
i don't know if you've heard any of the records on fat possum by t-model ford or junior kimbrough but those guys wrote half the songs on "sweet tea".
i would definitely venture to say that probably had a direct effect on the overall nastness of the recording! top-notch dirt all the way man!
send some more suggestions this forum's way...

Todd

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun May 11, 2003 10:16 pm

Todd, you rule man! Ive been meaning to track down the band info for ages. That drummer is totally sick. That groove the dude sticks to on Baby Please Dont Leave Me is so disgusting! I think if I was in that band, I'd be able to jam on that part for 8 bars before getting all caught up in the guitar part and rocking out, but that guy just chilled out and let the song do its thing. I'd love to shake that drummers hand, holy hell.

which records in particular do you reccomend with that lineup?

dave

todd
pushin' record

Post by todd » Sun May 11, 2003 10:43 pm

actually dave,
it wasn't the band i was referring to (although they definitely hold it down-town on "sweet tea"!) it was the other blues musicians that wrote 4 of the songs between them on the record. if i'm not mistaken about their origin, both t-model ford and junior kimbrough (both guitar players) come from the "school" of down and dirty, shit in your britches kind of mississippi blues. along with R.L burnside these guys really invented punk rock in america...i know, i know we've got the the who and whatnot and so forth from over there in britain, but i'm talkin about here and forthe sake of argument, just go with me on this one. they've been at it for a long time and i guarantee there'd be no jon spencer without these guys (and a host of others). the only album i have right in front of me (hard to find stuff late at night) is junior kimbrough's "meet me in the city". it came out in '99 but was compiled from recordings as early or earlier than '92. real lo-fi, you can hear some loud amp buzz in one of the songs even. however a good album nonetheless...also features gary burnside (R.L's son on bass).
just about everything on fat possum will blow your mind...

Todd

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Sun May 11, 2003 11:38 pm

soundguy:

i gotta tell ya, my interest has been piqued...

consider sweet tea on the list, if it's anything like the stuff on fat possum, it'll be honest if not to your liking. i can't remember... there is one jr. kimbrough song that makes me cry... i think it's time to get my shit together.

"I'm happy you mentioned the Dead Milkmen..Still play the Big liz12"..yea!.."

i LOVE this album! THIS is why i play bass!

-paul m.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Mon May 12, 2003 9:23 am

Anyone who wants to hear Phil Spector on a good day should check out John Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band". That record is amazing. The sound is perfect. It will totally convince you that Ringo was one of the greatest drummers ever. Spector does a great job of reigning in his wall-of-sound-via-to-many-damn-instruments technique by letting John, Ringo, and Klaus Vormann fill up the space with three instruments. Honestly, my favorite sounding record.

:prime-rate:
ass engineer

Post by :prime-rate: » Tue May 13, 2003 12:20 pm

for an indie rock rocord i was blown away by the drum sound on pedro the lion's last record, 'control'. I'm pretty sure that aaron sprinkle and david bazan recorded it at compound recording studios in seattle... the drums sound dirty, but huge, and i love it. oh yeah, the rest of it sounds good too - particularly the tracks "magazine", and "rapture". it looks like it was recorded all digitally.

another aLbini project i dig is the Mclusky record. It's very messy and disgustingly lovely sounding. I don't like the kick drum sounds as much as some of albini's other stuff, but there are some good ideas and sounds on that record. The sound of it reminds me a lot of shellac's last one (duh, ryan).

there are so many more, but im drawing blanks right now. maybe the dave holland big band's last record.
ryan.wallis.taylor

hurricaneE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hurricaneE » Tue May 13, 2003 2:17 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:'Who's Next' is the best performance I've ever heard captured. The band vibe on that disc is bar none, the greatest. Sonically, Glyn Johns is a master. Classic band production. The Gold Remaster on MCA is worth the purchase. In that era- so much of the sound of those discs was the console and 16-track 2" analog tape. Now, we get Pro Tools and plugins.
Not to freak you out, but I think Who's Next was 8-track (Goin' Mobile is a live vocal/ac. gtr. to one track). Quadrophenia sounds enormous, too, in a completely different way (and was 16-trk). Also, Wedding Present's Seamonsters (Albini). -E

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue May 13, 2003 4:39 pm

the guitar sounds on "Source Tags and Codes" from Trail of Dead...MASSIVE
All those Plexi Reissues blowing up is one thing, but the recording is massive too. :worthy:

Jimmy is brilliant.
boobs are life's fountain

Slappback
audio school graduate

Post by Slappback » Wed May 14, 2003 9:02 pm

one record that I got turned onto by Tape OP of all places.... was the Emitt Rhodes record ... I read the article and went out and found this great sounding album I was totally suprised... on another note the most moving record that I've listened to was Donny Hathaway Live ....Whoa! :P
If I record a porkchop I like to put maple syrup on it.....

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed May 14, 2003 9:35 pm

The drums on 'Buggin' from the Soft Bulletin are huge, and made me go searching all corners of the globe for a year trying to find out how Dave Fridmann did it. Still don't know, but I think it's a big room, room mic and a Level-Loc. Flaming Lips drums are massive!

Another album that's huge, but not so much in the traditional sense, is The White Album. It's more tight and punchy than cavernous and dirty big, but whatever pres, mics and especially compressors they used gave it a real clear (but not sterile) and meaty sound. To me, the production is perfect. It's also so good, that it's odd that it is such a huge classic, if that makes any sense...no, that doesn't make any sense. Damn.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed May 14, 2003 10:34 pm

PET SOUNDS PET SOUNDS PET SOUNDS!

I can't believe nobody else has mentioned it...

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 14, 2003 10:48 pm

Slappback wrote:one record that I got turned onto by Tape OP of all places.... was the Emitt Rhodes record ... I read the article and went out and found this great sounding album I was totally suprised...
Totally agree. I was blown away by this record. A friend of mine is having Keith Olsen mix the songs on his album and it's really neat to listen to his stories about that record (among many, many others - I've never heard such great stories!)

-mark

blm15
studio intern

Post by blm15 » Thu May 15, 2003 6:23 am

Back on Top by Van Morrison is an interesting sounding record.
The title cut.... you can really pick apart the sound of especially guitars/drums, but then listening to it as a "mix", it all works so good. It oozes soul.
Still for big, the Kings X Dogman record is the most huge sounding rock recording I've ever heard. Makes my eyes water.
blm15

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Thu May 15, 2003 7:04 am

Maybe not "huge", but definitely "incredible sounding", at least to my ears: Eric Matthews "The Lateness of the Hour". It's like a warm blanket for your ears.

Others:

Bad Brains "The Youth Are Getting Restless" - Live in Amsterdam '87. My favorite live record. EXPLODES out of the speakers.

Anything Joe Pernice has done with Thom Monahan on the knobs. Especially "Chappaquiddick Skyline", since it's a home recording and therefore holds a special place in my heart. Music to slit your wrists to.

The first two Ted Leo records. I'm not crazy about the sonics on this last one.