gear and minimalism

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Ben Logan
takin' a dinner break

Re: gear and minimalism

Post by Ben Logan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:55 pm

distorTED wrote:HOW ABOUT A BOOMBOX WTH A BUILT-IN MIC?
The liner notes to Velvet Underground's "Live at Max's Kansas City" will tell you that this album was recorded just this way, by a fan. Its a really listenable album. Lots better than many "live mixes from the board" recordings I've heard.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:50 pm

If you don't use an API sidecar, you ain't shite! Api! ApI! API! Oh yeah and one can only make good recordings with Neuman mics too, and $5000 pre's.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Brad Lunde
audio school

Post by Brad Lunde » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:26 pm

Professor wrote:Yes, the Cowboy Junkies 'Trinity Sessions' were recorded with a stereo 'Ambisonics' microphone in Trinity Church <SNIP>-Jeremy
Jeremy, that "ambisonic mic" was a SoundField mic and the guy that recorded it brought the master B format files to AES last year. We played the files in the booth and it WAS amazing.
Brad
TransAudio Group
The Source for High End
http://www.transaudiogroup.com

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:20 am

There used to be these guys at 'The BottomLine" in NYC when I was there and they brought a 2 track tape machine to get bootlegs. Sometimes they brought a stereo mic, sometimes they just hooked into 2 suspiciously dangling cables near the console that do not have my fingerprints on them. Sometimes they would bring in copies of shows they'de reecorded and they were amazing.
Personally I prefer a ribbon mic or two (stereo) and position the players and adjust levels on istruments.
Harumph!