READ THIS IF YOU LIKE TAPE

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: READ THIS IF YOU LIKE TAPE

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:44 pm

object88 wrote:Simply put, this is great news. I'm really happy for people with tape machines!
Me too! Stephen can feed his family now. :roll:

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:49 pm

chocolatechickenpunkpie wrote:
object88 wrote:Simply put, this is great news. I'm really happy for people with tape machines!
Me too! Stephen can feed his family now. :roll:

SMH
You been eatin' onions.
Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:53 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote: I challenge ATR Services to not make this the a reality with regard to price, but I have no idea how they'd do it.
wait, can we just challenge companies to do stuff for us? i didnt realize they read this board and listened to us...

I CHALLENGE JACK IN THE BOX TO MAKE ME FREE TACOS. [i figure the all caps will help them "hear" me better]

sweet... where do i pick them up?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:53 pm

Stephen wrote:I have an HD24 coming in about a week. I also planned to keep my MS-16 running anyway (I have old tape.)
New tape is great news. Three months is a bit of a lag and I will still be able to have clients in the meantime. Now I can offer both formats.
However we just got a warning and this could happen again.
Pax, Steve
and you can eat!!!

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:57 pm

trodden wrote:
Stephen wrote:I have an HD24 coming in about a week. I also planned to keep my MS-16 running anyway (I have old tape.)
New tape is great news. Three months is a bit of a lag and I will still be able to have clients in the meantime. Now I can offer both formats.
However we just got a warning and this could happen again.
Pax, Steve
and you can eat!!!
The downside: debt.
Que sera...
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:18 pm

Thats great news. Now, I don't have to put myself out to the great big pasture yet.

CA

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:26 pm

Cool. Plans to refurb my 1" 8 track are back on the table.

Several clients this week have been bummed out that tape might be a no-go for a while... at least it looks like the ol' light is at the end of the tunnel.

But please, future tape manufacturers, try to keep prices from going up too much! I'd record analog a LOT more if tape were cheaper, but clients cheap out a lot and go for less expensive media (hard drives and DVD+R backups)... if the price goes up too much, I'll be forced to purchase even less of the stuff. :(
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

goldsoundz
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldsoundz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 pm

OH YEAH!

i wasn't ready to give up on tape yet

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:22 am

Mark wrote:What about 1/8"?

For Bobby! :D
Prethithely!! Thank you Mark. Actually Richer Sounds still seems to be stocking SA90s in huge piles - although they seem to have doubled their price from around 10 bob to a quid in the last month. Naturally I got presents of SA90s for xmas off various people, and it turned out all 3 parties had bought them from RS, but had paid well over 50-60p, which I was a bit pissed off about. Still, the main thing is that chrome cassettes are out there to be had. :wink:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:21 am

From the ATR site:
?
The Future of Analog Tape?
Wednesday, January 12, 2005

It has been widely reported on the Internet that Quantegy, Inc. has shut its doors and ceased production during a temporary lay-off. We have received hundreds of calls and emails looking for more information. At this point it is hard to separate fact from rumor, but this is what we know to be true as of today:

1) Quantegy has indeed shut its doors and temporarily laid off most of its staff pending restructuring.

2) Plans are in place to restructure the Opelika facility and continue to produce the profitable tape lines and hard drives, possibly under a new brand name.

4) Last year, Quantegy reported total sales of about 30M.

It is our belief that the Opelika facility will be producing product in the near future, but what kind and how much is still undetermined. The tremendous response to this news in the recording community has only reinforced the fact that analog recording is still very much alive and that there is still an incredible demand for analog tape.

ATR Services has been quietly working on a new line of analog tape for the past year. We are currently in the R&D stages of production, and hope to have wide-scale beta testing in place by the summer. Be assured that analog tape will continue to be made no matter what the outcome of the Quantegy restructuring but please be patient, as we will not have any news on formulation or format until we are further along in the testing process.

Thank you to all of the clients, colleagues and friends who have offered your support and commitment to analog recording during the last few days.

Happy New Year and get back to making music!

The ATR team
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:37 am

I'm so please how many young people were worried about having to find a new career.

Has anyone talked to any schools???? I am really wondering how this whole thing will effect curriculum, I really hope they will do more to support tape.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:17 am

ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:I'm so please how many young people were worried about having to find a new career.

Has anyone talked to any schools???? I am really wondering how this whole thing will effect curriculum, I really hope they will do more to support tape.
From my experience, it probably won't effect curriculum very much. I graduated from a recording school a year ago and they didn't teach me how to align or bias a tape machine. The basics were touched upon in a class, but we didn't really go in-depth because there's "so much more demand for digital, so that's what we're teaching"......which is a valid point. But still.......

Now I've got my own tape machine and I can cal it all day long, so there!

Oh yeah, Huzzah for ATR!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:05 pm

While this is great news for me and many others and while I dont mean to fuck up everyone's "oh what a feeling" freeze frame jump or anything, for those that havent ever done business with ATR, how much is everyone here willing to pay for a reel of tape? For those of use that are owner operators or are using tape for single pass to dump to pocket calculator or guys that are using tape for personal projects, a big jump in price may hurt but wont be impossible. I personally lose lots of work because in the current market bands simply can not afford to rent my studio, pay me and then buy tape. This is just something to think about. Great news, but something to think about.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:47 pm

soundguy wrote:While this is great news for me and many others and while I dont mean to fuck up everyone's "oh what a feeling" freeze frame jump or anything, for those that havent ever done business with ATR, how much is everyone here willing to pay for a reel of tape? For those of use that are owner operators or are using tape for single pass to dump to pocket calculator or guys that are using tape for personal projects, a big jump in price may hurt but wont be impossible. I personally lose lots of work because in the current market bands simply can not afford to rent my studio, pay me and then buy tape. This is just something to think about. Great news, but something to think about.
agreed. i think the rental reel is going to become the norm around our place.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:47 pm

aurelialuz wrote:
soundguy wrote:While this is great news for me and many others and while I dont mean to fuck up everyone's "oh what a feeling" freeze frame jump or anything, for those that havent ever done business with ATR, how much is everyone here willing to pay for a reel of tape? For those of use that are owner operators or are using tape for single pass to dump to pocket calculator or guys that are using tape for personal projects, a big jump in price may hurt but wont be impossible. I personally lose lots of work because in the current market bands simply can not afford to rent my studio, pay me and then buy tape. This is just something to think about. Great news, but something to think about.
agreed. i think the rental reel is going to become the norm around our place.
I hear that. Rental reels are certainly becoming the norm everywhere(2" anyway).
I wind up using the same reel to do an entire record: basics to tape, overdub straight to PTHD, and mix to tape. People will usually pay for the 1/4" to mix to....
Usually.