Client trashes equipment

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
midiot
pushin' record

Re: Client trashes equipment

Post by midiot » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:17 pm

kronosonic wrote: I don't have any mics with the right sampling rates for bass.
I can't wait to use this on someone.
boom-ptch-boom

Slider
george martin

Re: Client trashes equipment

Post by Slider » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:53 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:
matthewbarnhart wrote:
Slider wrote:I've lost numerous 57's to drummers with bad aim.
You know, people mention this all the time, but I've had drummers hit mics maybe four times in 8 years of making records. Every single time, I moved the mic out of his way and we went on with the session.
I hate when clients crank my headphones and blow the drivers.
Then I don't notice until later when they're long gone.
Same here. We bought headphones that either won't blow up (for drummers and bass players) or are cheap enough to replace (for everybody else).
I tell drummers "if you hit a mic and break it, you buy it".
I probably wouldn't hold them to it, but hopefully it makes them more aware.
I've let 57's go a couple times without charging.
That seems just wrong and counter-productive to me. If nothing else, I can't see how a band wouldn't be a little sore at me if I did something so nit-picky.

If the drummer is hitting the mic, then it's in his way and interfering with the performance. Move it out of his way so he can do his job. Threatening them can't be positive for the session.

I would only ever charge people for malicicious acts, which hasn't happened yet. A broken 57 is cheap and is an occupational hazard I would never dream of charging someone extra for. The same goes for headphones, ribbons in ribbon mics, tubes, speakers, cables, etc.

But that's just me.

mb
I agree 100%.

Occupational hazards abound. Your studio should be able to withstand an ape attack, if not, things will get broken. You can guarantee that someone will knock over the delicate thing you put on a sketchy shelf or out in the open. If everything gets put away in a secure spot, things dont get broken. If a drummer hits something, it is usually your fault for putting it there: he/she is just playing drums! You put up the mic. Watch them play for a minute before you put U47's on the toms.....
I'm going to book time at all of your studio's and ask for U47's on all the drums and then bash away. It'll be like U47 wack a mole
That'll show you. :P