What Did You...12-07-03

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Re: What Did You...12-07-03

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:43 am

Spent all day complaining about the snow and recording vocals for our still somehow unfinished album. Mostly coming up with backup vocal ideas. Then i came home, burned something, and watched adult swim. God damnit sundays are good, even if I usually work more hours than I do any day during the week.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:48 am

I wrote a new song. It's killer-diller.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:49 am

Been working on WAV file backups for one older session and also working on drum treatments for a new project- I've mentioned them as the next Nirvana on this board before. Song I was working on last night is called 'Bukkake'. Tons of attitude, written pretty spontaneously with a chorus lyric, 'Bukkake, on your momma'.

Earsplitting guitars and neanderthal rhythms at their best.

We start vocals this week. As a demo, this has to be as close to the real deal as possible...

mechanic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mechanic » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:51 am

Marcocet.... I had been wondering when circle and square were gonna have something new...

I spent my sunday trying to make a mix completely on my board and from my listening this morning I faired poorly...

What I really wanted to say was: This is similar to a post I was gonna make;

Are there any engineers/producers out there that are keeping a weblog?
I would love to read " Today I recorded so and so, and found that this mic worked great on this... blah blah blah" every morning... like stuff out of a 'real' studio...

Know of any such things?

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:40 am

Listened to the album I got mastered on Saturday. Sounds Fan-freaking-tastic. Just the way I like it, it's not super compressed :-) It doesn't stay in the -2 to -.00099999.... area. Goes all the way down to below -18 on some parts.

Went to the "mall" to shop for my mom and brother for christmas.

Watched the extended version of startgate.

Edited a song down to "radio friendly length". It's a 6 minutesong that, somehow, I got it down to 4 minutes. I'm putting the 6 min on the album, that's for darn sure !!!

When to bed.

-Zach

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:55 am

Tracked Les Dirt Clods vocals and back vox, using my spanking-new Soundelux U195.

This mic is awesome, guys. I can't overstate the presence and character this mic has over my other LDCs (C1, KSM32, 4033). A quantum leap forward. . .I'll start a review once I use it a bit more. Amazing for the price.

Went straight into the Langevin DVC and to Pro Tools. Also used a Shure boundary condenser located in the tile bathtub of our vocal booth. We're strictly top shelf around here.

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CabreeToe » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:01 am

Got up and swallowed some narcotics (got a bad shoulder/neck)
**on that note: do opiates affect hearing?**

got on the puter and practiced some EQ skills. I'm still new to this but

I'm makin' a little dough doin' voice over for a local infomercial. Trying

to figure out how to make the voice "POP" out

Now I'm procrastinating getting ready for work at the station.

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:03 am

Some friends came over and we recorded their two songs for the Christmas album we're working on. One was recorded live with my two favourite mics-- R121 on ukelele/vocals/guitar and Stapes on drums/vocals; the other kinda sounds like GbV meets the Cars and was recorded mostly live and I freaked myself out with a freaking awesome drum sound that's entirely Shure Beta 87 snare "splat" and R121 kick "boof." The Beta 87 is pretty much EXACTLY how I like snare drums to sound but I've come to realize I have a funny idea of what a snare drum should sound like.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:21 am

retracked everything on a tune I've been working on accept the drums. this could be dangerous.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:50 am

I resurrected my RE201 Space Echo by replacing the reverb tank send cable (it had been pinched and by part of the chassis), and hosing the big rotary switch and pots down with some D5, followed by some CRC Electronics Cleaner (to flush away the crud), followed by some more D5. Things were rockin until the tape broke, so I spliced up a new loop of 456. It wouldn't erase the tape fully, anymore, so I dug up an old piece of god-knows-what tape from my stash of garage sale 1/4" tape and it worked perfectly.

Damn, this thing sounds good. I especially like that every time my ham-fisted splice goes over the heads it warbles and screws up the sound for a second- I might just put a couple more splices in there!

Since I had all the stuff out, I cleaned all my patch points and cables with D5, too, and then got down to do what I was trying to do all along- use the Space Echo on a vocal track that I was having an amazing amount of difficulty doubling. The Space Echo is rocking my world right now.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:19 am

Woke up. Fell out of bed. Dragged a comb acrost my head.

Shovelled the snow from the driveway. Loaded my gear into my car ('69 Nova) to record a concert at 3. Called the highway department. Are they going to plow the road anytime soon? Got dressed up in my classical-music-recording-disguise suit and tie, put the chains on the car, resolved to sit at the end of the drive, or actually try to plow the road myself with the Nova if it came to that.

What to my wondering eyes appear, the road crew, plowing! Make it into town in seconds flat, try to mic the church under the disapproving glare of the chorus director. (Why do they want an exceptional job, and yet they can barely tolerate it if you try to set up any mics?) Shivvered in the cold church basement listening to the show. Is there something dreadfully wrong with my new CAD M179s, or do these people just suck?

Loaded everything back into my car in the dark. Dream of a rolling rack that will house everything, that I can just plop down and plug the mics into.

And then somebody spoke, and I went into a dream.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

joeknowsjazz
audio school

Post by joeknowsjazz » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:33 am

This is what I did, I mixed these tracks:
DOWNLOAD TRACKS

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Post by buzzaudioguy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:33 am

Finished up day 3 of tracking and mixing on an R&B/Rap compulation. Dazed and confused from the sessions(did I mention I also played a gig Saturday night?) I spent the evening watching Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network. Thank god for Aqua Team, Sealab, and Brak. No sessions until next weekend. Bring on the metal baby!!!

ps who's holding the bong?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:36 am

Finished patching drywall on the ceiling before installing halogen lights in my basement studio. Building Target prefab shelving units for my girlfriend's studio (drawing, not audio). Went to a couple of fun holiday parties, actually met some NPR radio personalities (who were ranting about the political state of the world- good thing their politics don't change when the On The Air sign turns off :shades: )

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:29 pm

Recorded a Prince song. Not one he'd written, but one that he should've written circa Controversy era. Wasn't exactly my intention, but as a native Minneapolitan, I think it was my right. =%>