posse in the studio?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
black mariah
buyin' gear

Re: posse in the studio?

Post by black mariah » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:50 pm

I've found it best not to drink anything that urine doesn't change the color, flavor, or smell of. No beer, no apple juice around other people... no Drano... :lol:
Heurh!

tenaciousjay
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenaciousjay » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:55 pm

PBR may be a NW thing, but even more so is... Schmidt!

My old band was kind of an metal/punk/indie type thing, and Schmidt fits all of BM's (uh, that's black mariah's) catagories for those - it was available (gotta love those suitcases), cheap (duh), and "in" (in the can, in the stomach, in the carpet, in the old Peavy PA head...).

BTW what's up with the new red cans? Trying to look like Coke for road trip consumption? It's just not appetizing looking (well also I just can't drink it anymore - spoiled by Red Hook and Sierra Nevada now).

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:00 pm

For us, it's usually Weidemann.

Steel Reserve if you're really hating your life.

tkheadroom
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tkheadroom » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:45 pm

Weideman! The official beer of high school kids in the greater Cincinnati area... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:37 pm

we drink PBR cuz it's 10 bones a case. One time one of the guys brought Natural light, I told him to take that shit back to the freshman dorm. If you're real hardcore around here, you go for Carling Black label, it's like drinking chemicals.
yup, 6$ for 12 around where we practice, what about goebel (sp?)
if you drink a 12 of black label, you usually feel like wearing the empty case as a hat... the McShitz used to call them their "battle helmets" :roll:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but aren't you all painting rap with a rather big brush? Yes, there's all the thug bullshit, but there's also a lot of smart, sensible indie-style hip hop that isn't going to bring with it the posse or the theft or anything. Check out the Dalek interview in our own Tape op to start. . . .
i'm a fan of 80's/early 90's rap and i agree with JES..

i guess i should just shutup 'cause i don't own a studio and have never dealt with a rap group with posse in tow or a metal harem or some shmuck who plays with a bass in the shape of a jack daniels bottle..

i remember seeing a Tribe Called Quest play in upstate new york...my first rap show and they ended it by having the audience repeat after them:

I LOVE MYSELF.

kinda oddballs them, and no new album as a group unfortunately...

don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, right?

besides, if I was a rhymer, i could make some INCREDIBLE stuff at home with the cheap equipment available today. no overhead mics, no band, no posse, just me and my computer...

-paul m
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:00 pm

and don't forget Schlitz Gay. :lol:
Heurh!

sonicgirl
gettin' sounds

Post by sonicgirl » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:25 pm

I swear that any time I ever see a band... from anywhere they are drinking Heineken...
even when I see videos of live shows everyone seems to be drinking Heineken....

I tried a Heineken once... and I didn't really like it... it was then I realized I wasn't a rock star. :shock:

-jen

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:46 pm

If you ever tour in europe do yourself a favor and never drink heineken. You'll never be able to drink it when you get back here. The stuff in heineken bottles in the netherlands positively has nothing to do with whats in our heineken bottles over here.

You arent a rock star unless you are drinking big syrupy bottles of dxm before a show...

dave

goldenarmes
ass engineer

Post by goldenarmes » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:23 pm

tenaciousJay wrote:PBR may be a NW thing, but even more so is... Schmidt!

My old band was kind of an metal/punk/indie type thing, and Schmidt fits all of BM's (uh, that's black mariah's) catagories for those - it was available (gotta love those suitcases), cheap (duh), and "in" (in the can, in the stomach, in the carpet, in the old Peavy PA head...).

BTW what's up with the new red cans? Trying to look like Coke for road trip consumption? It's just not appetizing looking (well also I just can't drink it anymore - spoiled by Red Hook and Sierra Nevada now).

ah...schmidt...the brew that grew with the northwest. i swear we lived off that shit in highschool...lol man gig harbor sucked.

"lets get SCHMIDTTY!"
peace

j

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:05 am

tkheadroom wrote:Weideman! The official beer of high school kids in the greater Cincinnati area... Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I live in walking distance from "the Weidemann mansion," so I feel a special connection to it.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:34 am

soundguy wrote:If you ever tour in europe do yourself a favor and never drink heineken. You'll never be able to drink it when you get back here. The stuff in heineken bottles in the netherlands positively has nothing to do with whats in our heineken bottles over here.

dave
same deal with the real budweiser in the Czech republic. It was actually good!

--JES

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:37 am

Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!!!

sonicgirl
gettin' sounds

Post by sonicgirl » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:43 am

Funny... I actually like Pabst... it's my #1 choice in beer.
But tonight I am drinking something else... the club I am going to doesn't have Papst....

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:49 am

PBR is the bestest. I've got the mini-fridge currently stocked with it.

As for rockstar drinks, the bassist in my band has recently taken to getting a can of Diet Rockstar (I shit you not) before playing. It is a truly godawful, yet amusing (which is why she buys it) beverage.

Incidentally, back on the posse tip. I've got one coming to the studio tonight. It makes it tough to concentrate, but I figure that if I can do good work with that going on, I can do anything.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:52 pm

stillafool wrote:I hate everything it stands for.
Cool, because I've been wondering: what does rap stand for?