Artistic aliases

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kdarr
buyin' gear

Re: Artistic aliases

Post by kdarr » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:07 pm

cgarges wrote:I actually talked to a client today about doing a record that is going to be SO intentionally bad that everyone will want to use aliases on it. They want terrible engineering, as well. I'm all about it. Can't wait to start!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Chris,

How do you pronounce "Garges," anyway?

Just curious.

|<|>|

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:29 pm

cgarges wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Nana in the heat must've been a fantastic show, i have this fantasy that it was outdoors, early evening, sun setting. That's something i'd love to see.
That was pretty much it. In front of the steps at the public library in downtown Miami. There were maybe 100 people there and I was maybe 10 feet from Nana. Cyro Baptista was also playing with him. It was quite amazing.

Chris
Wow, that must've been quite a night.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:06 am

kdarr wrote:How do you pronounce "Garges," anyway?

Just curious.

|<|>|
GAR-jess.

CG

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:08 am

Rigsby wrote:Wow, that must've been quite a night.
Yeah, there were a lot of up and down spells of really great stuff going on in Miami in the early nineties. I also saw the first show of Stewart Copeland's "Rhythmist" Tour down there.

Chris

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:21 am

cgarges wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Wow, that must've been quite a night.
Yeah, there were a lot of up and down spells of really great stuff going on in Miami in the early nineties. I also saw the first show of Stewart Copeland's "Rhythmist" Tour down there.

Chris
I don't know enough about Stewart Copeland save the police and then the new wave stuff, like clark kent, but i really enjoy the way he plays, what was he doing when you saw him? Anything you think i should check out?

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:37 am

Rigsby wrote:I don't know enough about Stewart Copeland save the police and then the new wave stuff, like clark kent, but i really enjoy the way he plays, what was he doing when you saw him? Anything you think i should check out?
He did this really weird record in Assyria in 1985 with Ray Lema. Most of it's sequenced and/ or programmed and there's a lot of goofy "field recording" stuff incorporated. Sort of a neat piece of work for a Stewart Copeland fan but not anything super-interesting on it's own. Apparently, there was a shorf film made to go with it, but I've never seen it. I think the album is out of print.

Anyway, around 1995 he decided to put together a tour to present a bunch of examples of world music to people in the States who might not get exposed to some of these groups. Unfortunately for most people, I think the tour was only five dates, but fortunately for me the first one was in Miami.

The show was cool. It included the National Percussion Ensemble of Guinea, Uakti, Vinx, a flamenco guitar player and tacenero dancer whose names I can't recall, and a group of mostly African session musicians (including Ray Lema and Armand Sabaal-Lecco) and Stewart playing tunes from the "Rhythmatist" record. I remember reading an interview with Stewart about it where he said they had one day to rehearse before the tour started (which might have actually been the day OF the first show) and everybody had to speak French for the rehearsals.

I'd still love to find that Stewart Copeland "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" footage somewhere.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:03 am

cgarges wrote:
Rigsby wrote:I don't know enough about Stewart Copeland save the police and then the new wave stuff, like clark kent, but i really enjoy the way he plays, what was he doing when you saw him? Anything you think i should check out?
He did this really weird record in Assyria in 1985 with Ray Lema. Most of it's sequenced and/ or programmed and there's a lot of goofy "field recording" stuff incorporated. Sort of a neat piece of work for a Stewart Copeland fan but not anything super-interesting on it's own. Apparently, there was a shorf film made to go with it, but I've never seen it. I think the album is out of print.

Anyway, around 1995 he decided to put together a tour to present a bunch of examples of world music to people in the States who might not get exposed to some of these groups. Unfortunately for most people, I think the tour was only five dates, but fortunately for me the first one was in Miami.

The show was cool. It included the National Percussion Ensemble of Guinea, Uakti, Vinx, a flamenco guitar player and tacenero dancer whose names I can't recall, and a group of mostly African session musicians (including Ray Lema and Armand Sabaal-Lecco) and Stewart playing tunes from the "Rhythmatist" record. I remember reading an interview with Stewart about it where he said they had one day to rehearse before the tour started (which might have actually been the day OF the first show) and everybody had to speak French for the rehearsals.

I'd still love to find that Stewart Copeland "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" footage somewhere.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Chris, i'll keep my eye out for some of this i think. The closest thing i've come to seeing Copeland live was doing live sound for his son's band about six years ago, which isn't at all close. I've just deleted my feelings about the gig and the performance, doesn't seem right to share on a public forum. The gig was in an unused tube station, really dank rooms with terrible sound, one of the speakers blew in the soundcheck (actually caught fire) and after the bands cleared out all these young rappers and MCs came in and took over the room, chatting on the mic, playing records and trying to intimidate me off the sound-desk (i stayed anyway). Went home with flu after about twenty hours work and a bad thai takeaway.

My my, how off-topic have we got?

rigsbysmith.com