the greed that is the beatles

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
DUC
buyin' a studio

Re: the greed that is the beatles

Post by DUC » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:11 pm

I heard that the Beatles were coming out with a computer called, "shiny green edible thing".
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

KingOlaf
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KingOlaf » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:01 pm

BrianK wrote:Have you noticed how there are NO cajun/italian/vegetarian/fancy restaurants called McDonalds - even though that is a very common name. There cannot even be a market with that name;
Actually, I've eaten at a little place called McDonalds in Glasgow, Scotland, right next to the American chain of the same name. I had two sausage on biscuit sandwiches.
You're just what I needed

rtopia
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by rtopia » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:39 pm

sometimes this is more important than knowing which <$100 condenser will serve you best when recording your trumpet player!
boom soundispatch!

Nice slapback on the sample of a nail being hit on the head...

Without being able to navigate through your biz matters, you won't have the funds to buy that <$100 condenser unless you plan on relying on that day job you hate so much to cover your gear budget forever.

- r

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:30 am

soundispatch wrote:
hulahalau wrote:I suggest that it would be more fruitful to return to the technical and artistic matters which have typically been the home of at least this forum of the TapeOp bulletin board. I think there are other forums where this would be better located.
hey hula,

i agree absolutely with your position, except i think this suggestion would lead to a very boring and lifeless forum. trademark and copyright law are incredibly relevant to the music industry and (personally) i found everyone's attitudes and arguments interesting and thought provoking. 'artists' have traditionally been excluded from the legal discourse that surrounds pertinent issues that, depending on your position, could hinder their success if not considered.

sometimes this is more important than knowing which <$100 condenser will serve you best when recording your trumpet player!

thanks bluepxl for bringing it up...
-cal
Indeed, the legal and the greater artistic/social issues on trademark and coyright are entirely interesting. But the legal issues relevant to Apple Computer and Apple Corp are to be played out and resolved in a courtroom, and I think it would be better for non-attorneys to address the greater artistic/social issues - and for those kind of discussions there are other forums right here at the Tape Op bulletin board!

Anyway, the Apple/Apple suit, as I currently understand it, does not appear to raise any really meaty issues involving trademark. and the original post about greed of the Beatles, well, I'm sorry but I just can't see this as raising any interesting artistic issues.....