STUPIDEST BAND NAME YOU'VE EVER HEARD?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
phalex
tinnitus

Re: STUPIDEST BAND NAME YOU'VE EVER HEARD?

Post by phalex » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:34 am

It looks like Dumpy is taking a dump.
Werd.

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:35 am

I am sorry for that last thread, I could not resist.
Werd.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:41 am

ryan_c wrote:I don't even know what kind of band the name Turn Around Norman should belong to
A bad pop-ska band. Where they sing about their feelings.

Bad ones I've been exposed to:
Area 302 (302 is the area code for the state of DE, which makes it like naming your band Area 51 but...lamer)

Model Chaser

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Stained (or any of those "adjective for needing to see a therapist" bands...except Disturbed - those guys RAWK)

There was a band up here called Smoke the Prophet...then the singer started a side project called Curse the Son. Why not just name your band Verb the Homonym?

On the plus side, there's another band up here called "Adios Pantalones," which is just the best name invented by anyone ever.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:21 am

Some past and present local nominations -

Galactic Womb Candy

Mr. Twoop and the Vane Snifters

Liaise with the Cretinous Fourteen

The Spazz Masters

Bilge Farmers of the Navajo Clam Fight

Ritual Poo Fetish

Queer (a gay Queen tribute band)

The Bygone Trollops

Abysmal Strumpets of Dismay
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:04 am

Good lord what have I done. I start this thread and go home and when I wake up the next morning there are 5 PAGES!!! Not counting the "ultimate list" link...I am frightened to touch it. I am laughing my ass off...nice way to start the day. NICE WORK BOYS!!!

Hey bobbydj, is that a "Gladiator" reference? Hmmm....
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:13 am

Yep. :D
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:16 am

Tragically Hip (not a totally awful name) has a song wherein the characters "hung around 'til the final band, called 'Escape is at Hand for the Traveling Man'"--that's a pretty bad "sentence" band name.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Don Shumai
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Don Shumai » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:28 am

My old roommate's dad had been in a band called Uncle Dildo and the Gin Goblins. Apparently while he was dating my roommate's mom initially, he had worn their t-shirt to Thanksgiving with her family.

We used to practice next to Electric Vomit, which after a search, it turns out there is more than one band named this. The name says it all.

In my high school in Western Mass. in the late 80s, there was a Sweet Cheater. There was also a variant in the area called Suite Cheater. (I was in a band called Synovia at the time, so I can throw no stones. The fluid in your joints is synovial fluid, and 3 of the guys in the band were in AP Bio.)

My current favorites from one of those lists are Afghanistan Bananastand, Hornets Attack Victor Mature, and Accidental Goat Sodomy (whoops!). I get the feeling that none of these bands live up to their names though.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:31 am

SONIC YOUTH - Worst band name for a good band, ever (although LZ is a close second). I resisted listening to SY for years just because of their band name. But then one day I accidentally heard "Schizophrenia" and my life has never been the same.

I hate bands with one word/one syllable name. LOW? Give me a break, you pretentious pricks.

Any band that only spells their name in lowercase letters only. Give me a break, you pretentious pricks.

Last year I was in a band called VINDALOO EARS, which, when we thought it up, we knew was so bad that we couldn't refuse it. I was hanging out the other night with some of those same guys from that band and we were talking about bad local band names, and then we were making up bad local band names. The one that was the biggest hit as the worst band name was AFTER BURRITO. We even thought up a logo: a burrito holding a bong and giving a thumbs-up sign. The burrito would be saying, "That's tight!" If any of you have been to Chico, CA then you know what I'm talking about.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:38 am

I had some honkey "rappers" into my studio the other day for the first time. Everything in my house was "tight". First time I'd heard that.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

SpockPicasso
gettin' sounds

Post by SpockPicasso » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:16 am

"Hey guys, I've gotta great name for our heavy rock band... How about: Corn."

"No, that's a stupid name. That's not rock at all."

"Well, how about if we spell it with a K?"

"Yes, then people will know how ROCK we are... And a backwards R will make it even more rock!"

I agree with the opinion that all band names are stupid if you think about them. The Beatles is a dumb name and The Rolling Stones isn't any better.

After giving it a lot of thought, I think there is some kind of genius to the name Limp Bizkit. The name totally negates any conversation about the band: if you are expecting anything good, at all, from a band with a name that unbelievably stupid, then you are a sucker:

"Hey, what gives? I spent 18 dollars on this CD by LIMP BIZKIT and it just sounds like a bunch of neanderthal lunkheads..."
Last edited by SpockPicasso on Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Down in the basement we hear the sound of machines...

tyson
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by tyson » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:29 am

The whole new school metalemocore bullshit has spawned some truly abominable, pseudo-poetic names: From Autumn To Ashes, Bleeding Stars, etc. etc.

The Energy is a pretty horrible name, but not as bad as what our drummer originally wanted to be called: Electric-Koolaid
http://www.ihearanewworld.com
home of Magical, Beautiful / I Hear A New World Tapes & CDR's / I Hear A New World Recording Studio

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:48 am

trashy wrote:SONIC YOUTH - Worst band name for a good band, ever (although LZ is a close second). I resisted listening to SY for years just because of their band name. But then one day I accidentally heard "Schizophrenia" and my life has never been the same.
I always thought that name was freakin spectacular. It's just neat... I like the word Youth in there, and the way they're described as Sonic. I don't know, it just IS really cool.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:56 am

E'Nuff Z'Nuff. But worse still were the bands that thought mis-spelling your band name with Zs, K's, and X's that followed, IE Cherri Rokkett. But the king daddy of them all was Charolotte NC's, Lykitti Splytt. Wost fucking name ever.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:57 am

My friend (not a musician) who is always coming up with band names for the band she WOULD be in if she were a musician came up with the following:

Crime Basket
Umph
Grrrr

And some other gems I can't remember. The last band I was in I was lobbying to name "What is Not Like a Flower." or alternately, "What is Not Like a Flower?" but I got shot down. The drummer insisted it was a stupid name. What was his great idea for the bands name, you ask? "All Your Heroes Are Dead." Ew. I fired him shortyl afterwards.