What's in yer 5 disc changer?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Re: What's in yer 5 disc changer?

Post by Spiderhead69 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:19 pm

In the Car
1) Warren Zevon - The Wind
2) Mix CD - Cajun music
3) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots...
4) Mix CD - Indigo Girls, Sir Mix a lot, Meat Puppets, Minor THreat...
5) Los Lonely Boys
6) Ramones - Anthology.

At Home -
Dust - I've been playing records for the past 9 months and haven't loaded anything up...

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:37 am

vvv wrote:(and do check out the two Trux actual band records.)
Great recommendation on the Hagerty, by the way. I think his guitar playing has really blossomed.

But I count way more than 2 Royal Trux "actual band records". Their first s/t album has a full band, though really sloppy. Cats and Dogs, definitely full band. Thank You was even recorded live, supposedly vocals and everything in one take if you believe it. Sweet Sixteen had a full band though a lot of overdubs. Accelerator seems to have a lot of overdubbing but I think there's a live rhythm section on most of it. Veterans of Disorder same thing, kinda weirdly constructed but there's definitely live band stuff on it. Pound for Pound is all full band, in fact it's kind of metally sounding to me. Singles, Live Unreleased is mostly full band. Really the only pasted together stuff would be Twin Infinitives and their third s/t album (which does have a drummer for some of it but doesn't sound live) and that Hand of Glory thing.

Sorry, I like those guys' records a lot. If you haven't heard them all, basically everything from Cats & Dogs on is really listenable, not the (worthwhile) challenge of Twin Infinitives. And their songs got a lot better as their career went on.

Ajpulzetti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ajpulzetti » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:23 am

sonichue wrote:
dwlb wrote:"Do Me Baby!" a compilation of Austin, TX artists covering Prince tunes
How is that? Wasn't it on ET recently that Prince said he wouldn't perform much of his older material live anymore because he didn't want to corrupt kids? He sounds like his dad saying that his music is all "sex, drugs, and limousine music." Or Donna Summer. WTF, he's one of the most talented musician's there have been, but I think he needs to get off of himself.

Pardon the rant.

Prince is another one of those dudes who found one religion or another in his older age and won't play a lot of really great old stuff because it's all sex and rock'n'roll...

Dylan does the same thing. He even sang this really spiritual song when I saw him a couple months ago. He also had a big rock'n'roll ending to EVERY song. Form fit, both guitarists get a 5 minute solo in EVERY song, and then end each song with a 2 minute guitar solo over cymbals and kick drums as if it were the end of a whitesnake concert or something.

Oh Bob, since I love you, I'll forgive you. Just this once though.

and there's my rant.
May you live a hundered years and may the last voice that you hear be mine.
- Frank Sinatra

Ajpulzetti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ajpulzetti » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:27 am

jspartz wrote:Well for me it is more like Rhapsody but here is what I have been enjoying...

1. Story of the Year - Page Avenue
2. Sugarbomb - Bully
3. Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys
4. Alejandro Escavedo - With These Hands / Under the Influence
5. Misc. early 80's rock.

Jason
Are all of Story of the year's songs compressed to within a limit of 2 db, or is that just the crappy MTV TRL mix that I keep hearing. I mean, the sound is nothing new (I thought that it was new saves the day the first time that I heard it), but I do like the songs. I just don't want to go out and buy something recorded like the version of "anthem of our dying day" that I've heard on MTV. *whispers* maybe I'll download some...
May you live a hundered years and may the last voice that you hear be mine.
- Frank Sinatra

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:43 am

cgarges wrote:There's a nine-disc changer in my car. Right now, I've got these in it:

1. Pixies- Surfer Rosa
2. The Lovely Lads- The Lovely Lads Vs. The World
3. The Verve Pipe- The Verve Pipe
4. Poprocket- Indie Rot
5. The Dammitheads- Freeze Motherstickers
6. The Who- Who's Next
7. Suzanne Vega- Songs In Red And Gray
8. Jamie Hoover and Bill Lloyd (with Dennis Dikken)- Paparrazzi
9. The Frames- The Roads Outgrown

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

YAY! My hero....Mr. Chris! :wink:

Ummm. I don't have a changer of any type, so I'll just list off the junk I've been listening to as of late.

1. Thelonius Monk - Live at the It Club
2. David Bowie - Pinups
3. John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings (Specifically Disc 4)
4. Trail of Dead - Madonna
5. The Constantines - Shine a Light
6. The Dammitheads - A bunch of new demos :wink:

heylow

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:47 am

Ajpulzetti wrote:
jspartz wrote:Well for me it is more like Rhapsody but here is what I have been enjoying...

1. Story of the Year - Page Avenue
2. Sugarbomb - Bully
3. Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys
4. Alejandro Escavedo - With These Hands / Under the Influence
5. Misc. early 80's rock.

Jason
Are all of Story of the year's songs compressed to within a limit of 2 db, or is that just the crappy MTV TRL mix that I keep hearing. I mean, the sound is nothing new (I thought that it was new saves the day the first time that I heard it), but I do like the songs. I just don't want to go out and buy something recorded like the version of "anthem of our dying day" that I've heard on MTV. *whispers* maybe I'll download some...
It's all compressed that badly. I got a promo copy of that at Story Of The Year album work, and promptly gave it away.

|<|>|

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:40 am

heylow wrote:
cgarges wrote:5. The Dammitheads- Freeze Motherstickers

YAY! My hero....Mr. Chris! :wink:
Hey, I'm not kidding! I don't make this shit up!

Nice work, by the way.

Chris

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:43 pm

cgarges wrote:
Nice work, by the way.

Chris
Much appreciated. Thank you, sir.:^:

heylow

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:26 pm

awolski wrote:
vvv wrote:(and do check out the two Trux actual band records.)
Great recommendation on the Hagerty, by the way. I think his guitar playing has really blossomed.

But I count way more than 2 Royal Trux "actual band records". Their first s/t album has a full band, though really sloppy. Cats and Dogs, definitely full band. Thank You was even recorded live, supposedly vocals and everything in one take if you believe it. Sweet Sixteen had a full band though a lot of overdubs. Accelerator seems to have a lot of overdubbing but I think there's a live rhythm section on most of it. Veterans of Disorder same thing, kinda weirdly constructed but there's definitely live band stuff on it. Pound for Pound is all full band, in fact it's kind of metally sounding to me. Singles, Live Unreleased is mostly full band. Really the only pasted together stuff would be Twin Infinitives and their third s/t album (which does have a drummer for some of it but doesn't sound live) and that Hand of Glory thing.

Sorry, I like those guys' records a lot. If you haven't heard them all, basically everything from Cats & Dogs on is really listenable, not the (worthwhile) challenge of Twin Infinitives. And their songs got a lot better as their career went on.
Cats and Dogs is my favorite, but I don't hear a band: It's Neil, Jennifer, and a drum machine. I haven't heard anything done after Cat's and Dog's that has impressed me as much as that one.. except,
The Shockwave Rider / Mercury 7". Shockwave is an awesome song.
beware bee wear

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:56 pm

Re Royal Trux, I was refering to Thank You, produced by the great David Briggs (RIP,) and somewhat lesser, sweet sixteen, which is still unique, while listenable and rocking.

Plus, they do songs about Ray-O-Vac and Pol Pot and have vomit-laden toilets on their covers, and pics of J. Herrema (so much hotter than PJ and Chan!).

I'm not much on the sampled/chopped arty crap they did, and even the double outakes set could be edited for me, but the band records, well, I should have been in the band, and Haggerty's solo stuff, as said, is very cool.

I hope this ain't a post hijack...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:23 am

Heh, talking about royal trux isn't a hi-jack, especially in a thread of favorites lists..

I also have Thank You, and I really like "You're Gonna Lose" and "(Have you met) Horror James". Both are very catchy.

Have you heard the Shockwave Rider single? Do you have Cats and Dogs?
beware bee wear

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:38 am

1. Today is the Day- Kiss The Pig
2. Lightning Bolt- Ride the Skies
3. Kyuss- Blues for the Red Sun
4. Mission of Burma- ONoffOn
5. Joy Division- Complete BBC Recordings

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:43 am

I think (if I can get the song title correct) "Riding in your car (with the eagle on the hood)" is maybe the one song on Cats and Dogs that has drum machine. Maybe there is another but I remember reading that a lot of it was live with a drummer.

Unless that was Thurston Moore-esque hype and BS (actually I like how he said the follow up to Daydream Nation was going to have "no notes...no tones...and it's gonna be awesome" or some such drivel. But I like them a lot. And don't want to change the subject).

And I know for sure there is a 3rd band member on that one - a guitar player who toured with them as well. I'd have to dig up the album and look at the credits.

Ahhh, how I miss seeing Royal Trux at the Lounge Ax years ago. You never knew what was going to happen. What additional musicians will they have? Will I recognize any of the songs? Will I be able to understand one word from Jennifer's mouth? Do I care if I do? There was this palpable feeling of instrumental danger.

Mr. Hagerty's band can put on a helluva show too.

mcfl0nuz
gettin' sounds

Post by mcfl0nuz » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:49 am

i have a 6 disc changer :)

here we go...

1. Vidavox - I hope you like me (demo/lp, not sure what it is)
2. Mix cd - Joan of Arc/Modest Mouse/Deathcab/Rapture/Q and Not U
3. Dynamo Plaza - boudet arcade
4. Modest Mouse - Building Nothing out of Something
5. The Notwist - Neon Golden
6. Lassothemoon! - Lassothemoon! lp

1, 3, and 6 are local bands...

:D

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:52 am

Yeah, "riding in that car (with the eagle on the hood)" is definitely a machine, but the others kind of sound like programmed beats as well. And I don't think there's a bass on any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone played live drums, tho. I really love that record, that's the one where I realized that Neil is probably one of the best guitarists among my peers..

I saw neil and his band last year but it didn't do much for me. And I saw Royal Trux twice and was disappointed both times. really uneventful, boring, and almost punishing the audience for putting up with it.
beware bee wear